Posted: Nov 20th 2009 8:16AM (Unverified) said

I always thought the ones in WoW were corny, this night elf mohawk included. Harris Pilton or someshit like that..blech

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 8:54AM (Unverified) said

I'm just the opposite; it has always been one of my favorite features of WoW to find the references, subtle and not so subtle, from Nat Pagle to Haris Pilton. My all time favorite is the quest line based on the Dune series, where you use the thumpers to kill "Hai Shulud".

It always kept me amused in an otherwise lackluster storyline, and they were always a bright spot of good humor. I appreciate that they never seemed to take themselves too seriously and they were Eggs that everyone could find and understand instead of some arcane coders inside-joke.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 6:39PM (Unverified) said

The WoW ones were decent up until mid-BC, but now they're into the 1990s+ culture, and it's boring. the quest "All Along the Watchtowers was a subtle and very good reference, but now we've got things like D.E.H.T.A (druids for the ethicial and humane treatment of animals) and they've milked the Hemet Nesingwary story farrr to much.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 8:39AM (Unverified) said

In Asheron's Call occasionally you can spot for just a few seconds the TARDIS box, but if you get close it just dissapears.

Also, you can occasionally find a handy dandy towel.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 8:55AM Wisdomandlore said

I like my references a little more subtle...or at least a little less in your face. Being slapped with a Night Elf mohawk every 10s is not fun. Stumbling upon half an area that's dedicated to the pod racing scene in Phantom Menace isn't either.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:09AM (Unverified) said

I don't mind references in moderation, but the ones in CO were constant and really got obnoxious after a while.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:15AM Dumac said

Can someone explain what the night elf mohawk is about? I don't think I've ever seen one and i did play WoW until recently

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:48AM (Unverified) said

Here is the Night Elf Mohawk...

You are warned.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 2:48PM Dumac said

(did i have to reply to my own post?)

Thanks Neolith8300 ... that is, indeed, something one should be warned about :s

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:41AM (Unverified) said

"Some games have elevated the art of reference almost to an art form..."

Really?

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 10:29AM aurickle said

To my way of thinking, the very best ones are subtle enough that no more than about 25% of the population will pick up on it. Probably even better at 10%. It's cool when I happen to spot one that most other people have missed - and just as cool to have someone point one out to me that I'd been unaware of.

The Lost Dwarves in Uldaman (patterned after the Lost Vikings console game, which I later learned was also from Blizzard) is a great example of this and to my mind one of the best easter eggs in the whole game. As WoW has matured, though, its references have become increasingly blatant and I think that's to the game's detriment.

An easter egg is only rewarding if found. Like in life, they're not nearly as much fun when they're being thrown at you.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:21AM TOYBOXX said

Personally, I love it when a game references back to it's predecessor (tying the loose ends, so to speak) in the form of a story arc or even an item such as a weapon or armor that relates to a particular character who was considered legend long ago, and now seeing what that person wore or held in battle, it's a glorious sight.

However, as was mentioned in the article, if that's all a game does is reference the previous installment, then really, what is the point of making a game if the developer is going to use material already written and thought out?

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:30PM (Unverified) said

Story Arc and godawful pop culture references are not the same thing.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2009 9:36AM (Unverified) said

Only very subtle ones...

CO was so obnoxious, it was like "Haha, we're clever, we saw Anchorman, let's have an entire mission full of terrible references! People'll like that!"

Posted: Nov 23rd 2009 7:04PM cray said

I like homages, as long as they are subtle and fit the genre. I totally despise references to pop cultural gags or celebrities. Jokes get old real fast and make the game feel dated within a few hours of game play.

First Impressions: LEGO Minifigures Online