Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:19AM AlluvianEstEndrati said

Blade & Soul indeed looks like a very good game, one I have been (quietly) waiting for ever since I saw a video teaser for it months ago. It is very nice to see that the graphical quality of MMOs are increasing so nicely and I am very impressed with the collision-detection & reaction shown thus far. I hope the gameplay of Blade & Soul is up to par with its aesthetics.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:24AM Snow Leopard said

That poor girl just looks like she entered one of those dreams where you aren’t wearing any pants!

Get those white panties covered up!

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:29AM Arkanaloth said

art style reminds me of Magna Carta.. this isn't a bad thing. I wonder if this game will actually see a NA release.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:24PM Cendres said

I believe it is indeed the same artist as Magna Carta.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 4:51PM NekoDaimyo said

Hyung-tae Kim is his name, even.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:29AM Kuriboh said

AION is using a modified version of CryEngine, not CryEngine 2. That's a very big different.

Blade & Soul is more of an action oriented in a very very heavily instanced environment game than a traditional MMO, more like Guildwars and C9.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:31AM shipwreck said

Yes yes yes!

I don't think I'll play this game (not a fan of the Eastern MMO's, not yet anyways) I love that it's stepping in the right direction as far as combat goes. I'm really hoping for more of this as the genre progresses, even if it's progressing at a snail's pace.

And, yes, the female character models are ridiculous.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:49AM ultimateq said

The game seems interesting. I'll decide it's fate later when more information is released.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:50AM toychristopher said

Wow those characters are way hotter than aion. That guy has some really hot abs.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:04PM (Unverified) said

Just going to be another asian game with big ass tits, but hey with those you can make a game as crappy as you want! lol.

But seriously i dont think the eastern MMOs will EVER grasp my attention for more than a few days...they all end up grindy, and until they can get over that phase of making ALL their games grindy, i dont think im going to play, not after my experience with aion (YUCK)

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:03PM Thac0 said

I like the art style very anime looking/stylized and not realistic so it will age well. Both the males and females are hot. The combat looks nice. 'd totally be willing to give it a whirl. Will it be F2P?

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:08PM Crsh said

Looks like that's what Aion should've been, with some extra skimpy outfits and some Street Fighter-style melee combat; why don't they just add that to Aion instead via an expansion pack?

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:11PM Holgranth said

• 1 heart
Ok that grabbed my attention BUT man thats going to be hard to balance uh huh.

Yea shiney trailers are one thing lets get excited when its released as a highly polished, finished, balanced product.

(PS art style and half naked women turns me off)

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:13PM Wisdomandlore said

The action looks like a big leap forward for MMOs...more like a current gen console title than a game from 1998. This one wasn't on my radar but I'll watch out for it now.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:14PM (Unverified) said

Is it me or I haven't seen a single article about Continent of the Ninth, which is by NC Soft's rival NHN and from what has been shown, looks and plays better than many, if not all, MMOs out there? Hell, not even Tera Online is featured here...

Continent of the Ninth Gameplay Vid

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:31PM DevilSei said

Simply put Nosh, is that NHN doesn't exactly seem interested in anything outside their own market, the only games people will have heard of is Huxley, and possibly SUN, because those are being translated and worked on for the NA side. I tend to look into a lot of MMOs, asian or not, and I've heard of tera, but not Continent of the Ninth. Plus, they Huxley and SUN are both F2P, and the big reason people would know about Huxley is that its been heavily hyped and pushed about by them to the NA audience for years.

I will admit though, the game does look interesting, if it is as action-oriented as the trailer depicts, and isn't just "one skill makes huge combo" like some other games, I'd definitely be interested in it if it was brought outside of Asia.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 2:21PM (Unverified) said

I would agree that they aren't that great at releasing their games out of Korea, and often times they would rather push/publish 3rd party games internationally. But that doesn't mean that this game doesn't deserve coverage, if anything, the hype could very well help us change their mind.

As for your doubts, yes, it is as action oriented as the trailer shows, it basically more or less like Demon Soul's....you and your party go on different rooms/dungeons, while on your quest, other parties can invade your "room" and then it is pvp awesomeness....

You should really look at the multiple beta videos available on youtube.

Anyway, its kind of sad to see so much coverage here about games that have become so dull, with the same archaic/boring "point-n-click" system, yet games that are trying new things barely get any, if at all....just because they are on the asian market (specially korean games)

Shame really

Posted: Nov 21st 2009 12:05AM DevilSei said

True, but at the same time its a waste of time for them to talk about anything that isn't coming stateside. Mabinogi Heroes is one game I've seen that I love the look of based on the trailer, they haven't covered it though because there is no hint of it being considered being released here. As much as they are a blog about MMOs, they also have to talk about the MMOs we can play, not the ones we wish would get brought over, since they are paid for it.

A second issue would be simply how people react. Anything with a whiff of Asian influences is instantly denounced and spat upon as some "mindless grindfest". Just look at Aion Online. True that it isn't the most innovative game out, but its launch was far from horrid, yet people spat upon it. NCSoft tries to raise some hype through a picture series, and all you get, specially on this site, is a bunch of "Lawlpathetic nubs gtfo". Besides, some of the comments on here are proof enough of this. We wouldn't be able to change the minds of NHN, or Nexon Asia, or NCSoft asia, because they'd have to pay for the translations, and then make up for it through either subscriptions or Item shops, and either way those games would be "damned if they do, damned if they dont".

I am glad to hear though, that the game is more along the lines of acting, then clicking, and if it was being released stateside I'd definitely look into more, but I hate looking into games I'll never be able to play, really depresses me. Hell, Dungeon Fighters is a mere shell of what the Asian version is from what I've seen, with much of the customization being taken out and thrust into the item shop for you to pay for while its still there (and before its removed for the next set).

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:18PM archipelagos said

The gameplay looks very active as opposed to the standard fare which is a big, big plus and if you're allowed to scale the environment as suggested towards the end then that's fantastic. Having said that, like some other folk, the art style is an instant deal breaker. They have a very specific target audience and I really don't fall into it. I wish them every luck though as the gameplay looks very promising and I'd love to see more MMO's with a more active system.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:20PM Valdur said

Good write up,Blade & Soul looks promising indeed.What I'll say next will probably get me flamed but the Koreans are revolutionizing animations,physics and AI in MMOs.

More MMOs with Unreal Engine 2.5/3.0 are on the way,Blade and Soul is one and TERA Online is another one.

Check these videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWF_xlD5WSI&feature=related

38studios Copernicus will also use Unreal Engine 3.0 combined with Morpheim.All I hope is that these games don't stop at good graphics but that they deliver also in gameplay from start to endgame and after.

All I see is, a bright future for MMOs.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM