Posted: Nov 20th 2009 8:30AM Snichy said

I agree. I've said before that too many people assume Beta is just a way of playing the game before anyone else and do not know that being a beta tester is a responsbility to help with the quality and preparation of the game.

Maybe thats why some CO subscribers arent being given access yet, as they have only paid to play the game early, and the limited amount of beta places are going to people who are actually going to test the game, not just want a paid-for preview. Having said that, there is no doubt it is very wrong that Crypic sold lifetime subs to CO based on non-existent STO beta access - Im glad I resisted as I want to play the finished version when its released although theres no guarantee it will be any better :).

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 4:58AM (Unverified) said

In fact it the majority of life time and six month subscribers that have not gained access. I did buy a life time sub for the beta access but Cryptic have dropped the ball yet again as they have basically screwed over there a load of people that trusted them enough to give a lot of money. They have said that every one will have a beta key by end of December so if your really unlucky you would get a couple of weeks closed beta.

But I think the thing that is annoying the lifers and 6 month guys is the fact that Cryptic are giving away keys in competitions and inviting people in to the closed beta before every one that was promised a spot gets one.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 7:40AM (Unverified) said

It really is annoying. All life/6 month subscribers should be in the beta before any random applicants/contest winners are.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:52AM dudemanjac said

And how do you know what percentage of lifetime subs and 6-monthers got into the beta?

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 9:58AM (Unverified) said

It would be nice if some of the journalists at massively were to investigate why people who have purchased CB access to STO have been passed over for those who haven't paid. Clearly there has been some dodgy behaviour here on Cryptic's part. I would like to read how Cryptic responds to a journalist asking this hard question.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 11:24AM AlluvianEstEndrati said

I am very glad I did not end up getting sucked into essentially paying for closed beta access. Though the Mirror Universe uniforms for STO were a rather tempting offer. Sadly I so greatly disliked the gameplay experience of CO when I was participating in beta that I ad no desire to give Cryptic any money for the game as I knew I would not be playing it.

Looking forward to Open Beta though, really hoping the gameplay experience of STO is a far cry better than what CO offered. Thus far I am rather impressed by what has been shown for the ship & ground combat. However Cryptic still ha sto 'prove through play' that the game is a good one of course, which hopefully Open Beta will do just nicely for many people.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:43PM (Unverified) said

I called Cryptic support to request a refund on my 6 month/life time purchase.
The billing person I spoke with offered to put me on the list of the next round of invites. I said thanks, but no thanks, they escalated and the next person in line said "since you used your CO after your included 30 days, you don't get a refund, BUT we will put you on the list for the next roud of invites".

So for all of you 6 month/lifetimers preparing to get hosed on one of the key items of the purchase, call and ask for a refund (if you've been playing CO), see if they bite.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:45PM (Unverified) said

This is the pro tip of the day.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 12:59PM (Unverified) said

A note about the 'Hey, where's my CB invite?' issue:

Of course you weren't going to get it promptly. First, if you are buying a lifetime sub to a baby-new MMO and entry into a closed beta is anything more than 1% of the motivation for doing so, you completely deserve whatever happens to you. That's such a fabulous waste of money that, most likely, someone else would have rooked you out of it sooner or later if that's how blithely you drop however much a lifetime sub to CO cost.

Secondly, why in the world would Cryptic want to pull active players out of a struggling game and have them start spending all their time in a CB for an unreleased title? That would be pretty silly of them, right? It makes a lot more sense to try and draw in other gamers first. The last thing I would do, were I Cryptic in this situation, is create an impetus for players to play my game LESS... even if I have already soaked them for a lifer sub.

At best, the CB would encourage the player to buy the game and play for the first month... which if people want into the CB in the first place was almost certainly going to happen anyway. The CO lifer subs are extraordinarily unlikely to buy ANOTHER lifetime sub, especially relative to a previously unaffiliated gamer who is interested in the CB.

At worst, the CO lifer won't like the game and won't buy, or they won't be able to afford the game and won't buy.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 3:23PM dudemanjac said

Well I don't feel cheated. And if I see that STO is good and they offer a lifetime, I'll buy that one as well. While I think the launch was a litlle rocky and there were avoidable problems, I am looking forward to them getting the wrinkles ironed out and the addition of more content.

Maybe it's a personal thing. I never experienced this nasty rubberbanding ppl cried about, and at 34 I still have plenty of content and at no point ran out. STO looks good so far. Whatever problems there are will hopefully be worked out in beta. A little birdy told me that things are being worked on and that the last testing saw some improvements.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 4:06PM Mr A said

What a crock. If you have to win a key in order to participate in the open beta, it's not really an open beta now is it.

Posted: Nov 20th 2009 4:54PM Drexel said

This is some exciting news...but let's get real here for a minute. To properly test a game they need a variety of system specs and perhaps the CO people didn't all match what they needed. The beta access was never promised as a "get in first on day one" type of program. In fact they never even alluded to that. In a technical sense if you got into closed beta 5 minutes before open beta went live Cryptic will have fulfilled 100% of their obligation to you. That being said, I don't think they would do it in that fashion.

As to the open vs. closed beta process....if you think open beta has anything to do with testing anymore you're clueless. Open betas are pre-launch hype machines, marketing manuevers and server stress tests. Most of the dirty work happens in friends and family, the polish gets applied in closed and Massively and friends take care of the free marketing right before launch during open.

Posted: Nov 21st 2009 6:02AM (Unverified) said

It might not of been promised as a get in first day deal. But it was a priority access deal. Now Im pretty sure that priority means you get in before other people such as contest winners and random people off the street.

In fact I chatted a Cryptic Dev at Eurogamer that basically was saying that the people that should of been the company's must valued customers the people that had hand over significant amounts of money for either a 6 month sub or a life time where not getting access to beta fast enough and he personally thought that the company should be doing some thing about.

I for one don't think that every one that has a life time or six month sub in by the end of December is what I would call priority access.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2009 5:48AM fatpanda said

what does this have to do with anything "and I'm in a position to "keep Thurs nights and Sat afternoons open". "
Is that when closed beta testing is? Hell if you're not going to use it I'll take it off your hands.

Posted: Dec 1st 2009 5:11PM pcgneurotic said

Let's not forget the sheer volume of people wanting to get their hands on STO as soon as humanly possible. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that this is NOT an MMO first, and Star Trek second.

It's Star Trek FIRST, and an MMO second. So WoW has around 11 million subscribers right? Well there are probably 3 or 4 times that many Trek fans on the planet, and let's say just a third of them are online, clued-up and eager for some STO action. How many people does that make, all champing at the bit, foaming at the mouth and gnawing their knuckles to get in to CB?

For a start, nobody invests in a lifetime sub to any game, *just* to get the Trek beta access unless they're a pretty goddamn hardcore Trekker - I know if I had the money I would have too. So I guess those guys have a right to be pissed if they didn't get their keys PDQ.

I'm pulling these figures out of my arse, of course, but you know it's something like this.

Posted: Jan 4th 2010 11:21AM (Unverified) said

Well I placed a preorder and only did it cause I was able to get the game 50% off. I am still little anxious about the game. I'm not expecting it to top WoW at first or at all since most MMO's are a "work in progress". Though I do hope this is not a complete bust, I've been looking forward to a good genre change from WoW, LOTRO, and FFXI.