Posted: Nov 19th 2009 1:21PM dudemanjac said

The font is really the least important in my mind. The game is in beta. They have a font to use and they used it. I'd just as soon they kept it. It's a nice font, and if you're not concerned with where it came from or have never played CO, you probably wouldn't have a thing to say about it.

I care even less about the ground combat. My favorite part of Star Trek is the space stuff. The models don't seem bad to me though. Put me in a ship and tell me to boldly go do stuff. The video I've seen of ground combat hasn't been impressive though.

It's still beta though, I imagine they will be getting those shield bubbles in at some point. It's a pretty import visual effect.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 1:25PM Its Utakata stupid said

Rush, rush, rush...we need to get this game out the door...

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 1:49PM (Unverified) said

To those here pointing out the flaws which may or may not have been depicted in the video; much as was stated by a previous poster, if you're just attempting to poke holes in STO simply for the sake of trying to find a reason to hate this title or detract from others their own positive perspectives, please, for the love of pete, go someone else. I hear the STO/Cryptic forums are really quite accomodating. For those providing constructive critics, that last was not directed at you.

Before I delve into my own views, we have to take note that at the very beginning of the Dev diary vid it clearly says, in bold letters, PRE-BETA FOOTAGE. As such, anything we see is likely being polished or has been polished to better accomodate that Star Trek atmosphere. Things such as weapons fire impacting deflector shields are all too likely intended, but may need more work to implement. Also, I truly enjoyed how the Devs broke the classes of ships down into the three main Archetypes, i.e. Tanks, Stabbers, Casters/Healers. Very cool. Also, for those who mentioned they wanted to level by simply exploring? I mean....seriously? If you want hours of just roaming through space there is this lovely second job called Eve Online. Go give it a spin. Now, for those who want to explore for the sake of, say, achievements, thats understandable, and I'm sure Cryptic will provide.

All in all, the ship combat, interiors, crew management, and utilization of tactics all look amazing. In truth, I was somewhat apprehensive when this title was announced, simply because I feared another long tedious space sim placed in the Star Trek universe. But, frankly, it's really begun to turn my head and I find myself enjoying the details being dolled out as much as I'm sure I will enjoy the actual final product when it hits the Stores, downloads, etc.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 2:08PM Anatidae said

I find that the fact that Cryptic is shoving the "holy trinity" style of gameplay into star ships rather sad and completely uninspired.

I wonder when STO will have 25-ship raids? Better bring along the properly speced science vessel! Can't wait to find that legendary phaser upgrade that I can spend my DKP on.

From Cryptic's feed of information, and the fact that they are shipping in just a few months, I think STO is going to be light on the depth. What a shame. I wish they would have copied EVE a lot more. In fact, if EvE was given the ship-to-ship combat to look like these videos, it would be more Star Trek than STO is. Only because in EVE's sandbox, there really IS diplomacy, trade, and exploration beyond just blowing another ship up.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:44PM (Unverified) said

CoH gives a model of what I would expect out of Cryptic in terms of exploration...give me a million badges to find. Collect enough of them, if you want, and you'll unlock accolades and lo and behold, you get a little stat boost. It keeps me busy when I don't want to spam my phasers, keeps me playing longer, and more importantly gives me something to brag about. :P

Cryptic has always been knocked for being too simplistic, I mean CoH didnt even have crafting until NCSoft took over, but I've never had a problem with it at all. You can say what you want from the videos, but until you're behind the wheels and say "This is fun" or not, I for one have learned not to judge a book by its cover. Granted, CO was not fun for me, so I decided not to hang around.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 2:38PM Lepton1000 said

I think some general caveats with anything we see in that video are:

1. Some footage is labeled pre-beta suggesting that those elements may be different in the beta.
2. The Space Combat UI is not the same as the demo that was playable at PAX and Eurogamer Expo. In fact the UI in the demo is more developed as evidenced by sliders in the power distribution area, power setting presets, and collapsible, tree-like structure in the Abilities toolbar area.

While this is the most detailed look that we have had at the UI, it is likely that the version seen here has undergone significant changes in terms of polish and organization, but not general structure.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 2:40PM dudemanjac said

I don't see this trinity as a problem in this case. Is you problem that you wanted more classes? You have a ship that is going to specialize in doing more damage than the others but is a little thinner skinned than the slower tank type cruiser. You have a science vessel that is going to specialize in other things that aid in fight. The way you equip your ship gives you the ability to blur those lines.

I would think there would be some nice large raids. Teaming with friends to take down a borg cube sounds like a blast. What's the problem?

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 5:03PM Lepton1000 said

I think some general caveats with anything we see in that video are:

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 2:52PM Lateris said

The fonts and the UI art style looks big and clunky which reminds me of the art style of Champions Online, which I think is "great" for Champions Online but "not" for Star Trek. I do like the combat and appreciate the article. I can see myself making a mod for the art I dont like. I am weird that way. But I will give them game a try since seeing this video.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 3:26PM wufiavelli said

seems they have basically made a space game with rpg, classic mmo tank and spank combat. Hope it works.

This is not eve online by any stretch of the imagination, and anyone use to that complex of combat is not going to enter. That a side though if they got a good mix, good story, good quests, and more this game can really deliver. The crew, ship type and landing aspects could really make this game unique and fun to play. Just really hope that is a recipe for a market success.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 3:48PM (Unverified) said

They definitely need to tone down that overly busy UI. Some of the things like the shield strength indicators are redundant, having them both on the ship in space and on the UI.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:05PM (Unverified) said

I really wish they'd give me the closed beta access that I bought with my Champions Online sub.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:36PM pcgneurotic said

Well, that's the very first video footage I've watched of STO, and I have to say, I'm wet already. Bring it on, Cryptic, I wants it now!

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 5:50PM dudemanjac said

Go to the website. there are a few more.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 5:40PM HiGHPLAiNS said

Nice!

Posted: Nov 21st 2009 9:18PM Angelworks said

I have to admit this looks very tempting, but I'll wait for the free trial.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2010 10:02AM (Unverified) said

I'm always watching for brand new Star Trek action figures & collectibles !!!!

Can suggest you this cool Star Trek action figures site:

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM