Posted: Nov 19th 2009 9:08AM Miffy said

• 1 heart
I don't like the Art style for a Star Trek game.

I mean their hair is all emo and it looks all cartoony and comic book like as they probably just used the Champions Engine and thought "this art style is nice lets use it for STO" lol.

I mean this is as bad as turning Warhammer Online from a Gritty Gorey IP into that Cartoon bright colours WoWhammer that Mythic did.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 9:54AM ultimateq said

Sounds to me like you're just trying to find reasons to hate the game. Not sure why.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:48AM (Unverified) said

I noticed no shield effects (phasers hitting shields) or ship dmg when shields are down, made combat look a little hollow.
The fonts and itemisation is the same as CoH/V, so I'd guess you're almost spot on.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:02AM jealouspirate said

Jon is right, I think. I didn't notice it before, but now it's really standing out.

When you hit someone where their shields are up the phaser beam should hit the shields with a little animation, just like you see in the shows/movies. Once shields are down, then you should see impact on the ship with damage textures on the hull.

Both these are really important, I think. Ships that are heavily damaged should look that way.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:45PM Dirame said

I noticed A shield effect at the end of the vid where the borg get silenced if you look to the far right you will see a ship getting shot at and a shield bubble momentarily appearing although it could also be the animation of whatever the borg shot at the ship.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 9:22AM (Unverified) said

i think it looks sweet

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 9:49AM (Unverified) said

LOL....

Look at the damage hit points popping up when you get hit.... That will need some work.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:14PM LaughingTarget said

With shield graphic indicators right there on screen, the numbers seem pointless.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 9:55AM (Unverified) said

Okay, on the first glance, combat seems fast-paced and shiny enough to warrant a trial. I will have to compare it to EVE Online, as that is what I'm most used to in an MMO, and perhaps even fire up the older ST games that controlled from inside the ship.

I really do hope they change the look significantly, though. Right now, it looks entirely too much like CO, which is to say, something that I feel does not benefit the IP at all. The comic book font? Disgusting. Easy-to-read, sure, but I half expect the models to be rendered with the outline and cel-shading in the next video. And, speaking of models, are their uniforms made of leather?

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 10:12AM elocke said

Completely agree with you. The comic book font MUST GO. That alone looks far to similar to CO and should have its' own look and Star Trek Feel.

I hope the Beta testers are saying this stuff.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 10:00AM ultimateq said

They blew up a borg cube! AWESOME!!

I was overall fairly satisified. Though I they give the ships the look (and the feel, from watching the video) that they are small models. The larger ships seem to maneuver to well, and it doesn't give me the sense that I am playing a large battle with 2 or more HUGE space ships.

I guess it would be kind of boring to play a slow, big, lumbering ship, but I think that would appeal to me more.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 10:31AM jealouspirate said

I agree with you about the issue of scale with the models.

In EVE, for example, they do a fantastic job of giving you a sense of scale. Capital Ships are HUGE, and you know it. I think STO just needs to provide us with a better sense of scale. Make Sovereigns a lot bigger than escorts, and populate space with a lot of smaller ships (perhaps shuttles, trade vessels,etc) to give us a sense that we're in large ships.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 10:30AM Wensbane said

I've said this before, but space combat in STO looks a LOT like Pirates of the Burning Sea in space, which is a good thing, since combat was by far the best part of that game.

Cruisers -> Ships of the Line
Escort -> Privateer variants
Science Vessels -> Freetrader variants

If I'm right and this game is anything like PotBS, this won't necessarily be a holy trinity per se, but more of a way to suit different playstyles.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:11AM Evy said

I hate to say my first thought was "isn't that the same font from CoH?" The font needs to go. I haven't played CoH since release, and it's the first thing that sprung to my mind.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:27PM (Unverified) said

I had this exact same reaction, and I completely agree. There are plenty of star trek fonts, just pick one Cryptic.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:19AM TheJackman said

Captain I not know what is going on but everything we take out one of there ships there are this huge numbers flying next to it??!! Are you sure this is not some kind of game of Q!?

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:34AM Anatidae said

I like how he starts of saying that we will experience exploration and diplomacy, but here is some combat.

I don't think that Cryptic has actually shown any game footage of exploration or diplomacy. I hope diplomacy isn't just reading through quest text. It would be nice if you could rank up your ship through exploration alone, for instance.

All MMOs these days are about damage. Doing it, repairing it, lessening it, buffing it, etc... Gone are the Ultima Online days where you can viability play the game without killing a thing - and still be valuable in the community.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 1:38PM Ayenn said

I have similar concerns for STO as you do. In a broader sense I have these concerns for EVERY MMORPG. Across the board, I want more of these virtual worlds.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 11:55AM Valdur said

I agree with most of the previous posts,the comic book font is not a good idea at all.

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 1:04PM (Unverified) said

So did anyone notice that item descriptions basically tell you nothing. Where's the explaination of what Mark II means, and how its better than say a Mark I?

MMO Week in Review: ArcheAge has arrived

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: Has the industry revamp worked?

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 6:00PM