Posted: Nov 18th 2009 5:15PM (Unverified) said

Darkfall has a physical box? or is that fun metaphorical box which really means "a link to download the client"?

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 10:46AM ployer said

I have thought about trying out Darkfall, but I can't seem to find a trial or anything. Is it any good?

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 10:57AM 2DruNk2FraG said

For what its worth, Darkfall is both the best and worst game I've ever played. I'm currently playing simultaniously loving/hating it. Want to buy a copy from me? =)

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 12:13PM (Unverified) said

They don't have a free trial. Which is why I won't give it a chance, incidentally.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 11:07AM (Unverified) said

$10 is not worth my friendship. I would never put my friends through darkfalls torture.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 11:30AM Temko said

2 of my mates already bought it through my link + 6 month subscription (30% of deal atm).

and with the expansion coming up late next week i cant think of a better time to get into the game.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 1:20PM jwoelich said

By 'expansion', are you referring to 'actually putting into game all the crap they promised at the beginning yet had to cut so they could get this turd out of the bowl'?

Is that the 'expansion' you're referring to?

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 1:25PM (Unverified) said

Despite what I said in the past I think this is one of the few games that should NOT have a free trial. A cut price deal for new players maybe, but nothing free.

The whole set up of this type of game screams out that it's going to demand commitment. Anyway the world doesn't need any more people taking free trials and crying their eyes out all over the internet because they died a few times in a game and that they don't like it even though it's cost them zero to find out. There is enough of that already, I believe that's what open Betas are for now :P

I'll probably cough up the money the end of the month to give it a go and the fact that it has cost me so much will probably keep me playing after the first rush of PvP rage has set in and tempted me to 'QQ' :)

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 2:00PM Anatidae said

I love games with the sandbox concept, but I don't like it when developers refuse to invent game mechanics to dispense justice.

By that, I mean virtual avatars cannot be threatened with death like a real-world person can. There is a reason agreed upon moralities in society work - because people who break them can be punished.

To that end, there should be something for players who want to "police" the game to do so. Something that can be used as revenge. A long time ago at a GDC I attended Ralph Koster was talking about how you can't jail players. But I always thought you could - if you made it something unique. Like a hell pit that people who break the in-game society rules could be thrown into. Eventually you can escape - but it is basically a large world zone that (for a time) can eliminate the greifers. As time is about the only penality one can put in an MMO.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 3:20PM Saker said

I play in a game (Shards of Dalaya) where players are jailed when they do thing against the rules. It seems to work ok. Seems to work as a decent deterrent.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 4:14PM Innocentte said

What a snake-pit this is going to open up. Paid agents for a foreign based corporation? IRS Tax implications. Probably lots more.

Ouch.

Posted: Nov 18th 2009 6:04PM (Unverified) said

one way they could do it is subtract it from your monthly fee, perhaps?

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 4:46AM (Unverified) said

I think this initiative is a great and clever move.

And it leads to spectacular advertisements:

And while we are at it, go buy Darkfall via this link:

;)

Posted: Nov 19th 2009 5:37AM wjowski said

I can't think of anyone I hate enough to trick them into playing Darkfall.

Posted: Dec 24th 2009 5:58PM (Unverified) said

c'mon maaan, i neeed a freakin box set maaan! wtf is this game, like 20 gig? i cant download 20 gig. thats like a week + of downloading! im glad their player base is so commited, they're gonna need it! PLEASE, if a box set does become available, let me know.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM