Posted: Nov 16th 2009 6:10PM mysecretid said

I think you answered your own question. With the rise in digital downloading, it's probably not worth the time, expense, and effort to put out alternative covers for Star Trek Online.

I'm guessing that the retail box art is intended to attract the more casual MMORPG playing crowd -- and for them, the existing "iconic" box art directly transmits what they need to know, in no uncertain terms.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 6:23PM Lionhearted said

"Half" the game is NOT dedicated to Klingon play. They've made it clear that everyone starts out as federation, has to *unlock* Klingons (though they say it should only take a few hours of play) and that there will be less quests for Klingons, with more focus on Klingons leveling up through PvP. I actually think all of that is fine and will probably make the game play better (otherwise every new player would just want the cloak, without ever learning how to play at all), I just wanted to make the correction ;)

I find it interesting how closely they're marketing this based off the new movie, though, you can see it in the uniform's starfleet symbol and the Constitution Class ship on the cover. I wonder if people will be disappointed if they're playing based off the movie when they download the game and play it, only to discover that the game play almost certainly will have more in common with the Next Gen and beyond tv shows. I hope not! So long as the game play is fun, it shouldn't be an issue.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 8:45PM (Unverified) said

"I find it interesting how closely they're marketing this based off the new movie, though, you can see it in the uniform's starfleet symbol and the Constitution Class ship on the cover."

I'll give you the uniform texture, but it looks a bit like a Voyager uniform too. The Connie on the box doesn't look that much like the Enterprise from the movie. The symbol on the captain's uniform is from the TOS.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 6:24PM Miffy said

• 1 heart
Published by Atari and crated by Cryptic who delivered the lackluster Champions Online that got mediocre reviews and no one bought and people still think this title will be any good? I mean there hasn't been a single worthwhile mmorpg since 2004 so I don't see anything changing until someone comes along and revolutionizes the genre. Tbh the only one out there that I can see having any chance is Bioware.

STO will just be a mess of ideas that didn't turn out well.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 10:59PM ultimateq said

Wow you really are pessimistic, huh? Try more optimism!

While you could be right, let's hope for the sake of all humanity that you're wrong. Don't knock the game until you've tried it, at least.

However, I will honestly admit, I am extremely worried that this game will flop. I hope it isn't going to be released in an unfinished state like Vanguard (my last pre-order).

I think that these guys have their stuff together on this one. They bought the game in a fairly progressed state from perpetual, had plenty of time to work on it after the fact, they learned from the launch of champions, so I hope they can put it all together and release a solid game.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 10:33AM Tom in VA said

I agree with UltimateQ. I see a lot of reason for optimism. STO looks promising and fun. LotRO, GW, and WoW have provided a lot of entertainment value (for me, anyway), and I am also greatly looking forward to APB, GW2, and SWTOR. I think the future looks very bright on the MMO front.

As for the STO box cover, I like the fact that this one is very "basic and down to business".

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 6:56PM Mr Angry said

It's lame Jim, but not as we know it....

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 6:57PM Crsh said

You guys are starting to seriously overhype this game, is it *that* bad?

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 7:19PM (Unverified) said

I approve of this message.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 7:28PM Meurik said

I don't. I think as long as you haven't tried it yourself, you can't say for sure if the game is gonna be good or bad. I for one will hold off on a final opinion of the game until I get into the beta, or there's a trial available post-launch.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 7:35PM CCon99 said

• 1 heart
MASSIVELY
Daily News About STO

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 7:50PM Mr Angry said

Darkthunder, I think it's safe to assume some people who have posted opinions might already be in beta.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 11:02PM ultimateq said

Or they are all Trekkies and as excited about this game as I am.

Besides they always post lots of news on up-coming releases. ST:O isn't getting special treatment, it's getting average treatment.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 12:23AM (Unverified) said

It is *that* bad. It's epic fail Jim!!!

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 6:24AM LaughingTarget said

What has the Internet done to this generation? Do you have permanent alzheimers? Massively does this for every high profile MMO. They overdid Vanguard and WAR, too. My what short memories you all have. If Massively is guilty of overexposing games, especially relative to their relevance to the market, it would be EvE and Second Life.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 8:37AM Crsh said

Yeah, Vanguard and WAR got this kind of overhyped treatment too, but other games don't; seems to me it all depends whether the publisher pays for a little extra coverage or not.

I'm not bashing Massively, they're hardly the only "pro" blog/zine out there that sells coverage, hell Gamespy/IGN gives better reviews/ratings if you pay them.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 8:47PM (Unverified) said

Well, then Mr Angry, why are there here trolling on Massively instead of in the STO Beta forums trying to make the game better?

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 9:18PM Mr Angry said

You've answered your own question, I think I managed to get the gist of what you mean.

How do players change the direction of a game, and make it better? Do experienced developers ask the community to direct the game, even after pouring in thousands of hours of development hours already, and having to deal with the restrictions put in place by the people they licensed the IP from?

We've all been through this beta charade enough times to know that players are a sounding board alone, and are not going to make the game better, or to innovate and come up with ideas, proud developers get paid for this, they don't need us to make the game better.

There are market forces in play which largely determine when a game is ready. I don't think Cryptic are waiting for me to get off my fat ass and tell them about an animation or quest text, it's done already, or how shitty it is you can't be a Klingon form the start. Beta is a marketing tool, and in this case, a carrot to buy another game.

There is only one bunch of people who will make this game better buddy, and it ain't people like us.

Finally, Massively actively encourages trolling, it's a fact. They post provocative stories on how good RMT is, and how fantastic the next fatally flawed MMO is, so people like me visit to read all the advertisements.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 4:10AM koehler83 said

Why would you cast Ewan McGregor as a red shirt? That doesn't make sense.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 4:54AM Minofan said

I know that this is another action-orientated game take on the Star Trek universe, but even within those parameters Captain Gunhappy bathed in flames just doesn't feel very Trekkie - I'd have gone a little more neutral myself.

Why I Play: ArcheAge