Posted: Nov 15th 2009 12:18PM dargondarkfire said

I like readying the quest text, espeshily in fallen earth. the humor and storyline they come up with are great and very imersive.
infact sometimes if you don't read threw it you may not know how to access certain parts of you quest or what you need to do.
or as fallen earth dose with some of their quests, you need to read to read that final message to find out were the next npc for the quest chain is located at, because there not going to give you a quest to go to that location.

Posted: Nov 15th 2009 1:00PM Bigglesbee said

I've only played a few MMOs, but I seem to follow the same pattern (except in DDO so far). I start off reading all the quest text and make sure I know exactly why I'm collecting 10 salamander tongues or killing 10 rhinos, then I grow tired of it all and stop reading it, then I grow tired of killing 10 X things and bringing back 10 X things and quit the MMO altogether.

With DDO so far, the text isn't a huge block and never leads back to "collect X Thing", and has flavor and character (you usually get to choose from a couple of responses, one nice and one snarky), and usually gets its message across an adds to the lore of the area.

Granted, DDO works pretty differently from the "standard" MMO routines, so that's probably why its text is able to be a little different.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 12:45PM (Unverified) said

I always read the quest text. That said, I'm an American playing Aion with the language set to French. Aion did a great job, too, because all of the cut scenes and little spoken dialog snippets are also in French. There's enough reading involved that playing an MMORPG in another language is a good way to keep your knowledge of it up to speed. That said, I'm not sure how many more times I can take an NPC saying "Je vous en prie...!" It certainly helps, but I think you get hit over the head by the limited diction when you have to translate it into your first language than when you can just cruise through it.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 2:09AM (Unverified) said

wasn't the purpose of reading quest text to understand what you're supposed to do?

I'd be more interested in seeing who actually figures out the quest for themselves and who goes onto a wiki and just find where the mobs are.

Posted: Nov 17th 2009 12:14PM (Unverified) said

I've been playing MMOs since back to EQ1 and I've never once read a full quest. I read the last sentence or so to figure out where I need to go or what I need to kill. I just don't care about the stories in MMOs. Other games such as Dragon Age, yes I watch or read everything the game has to offer.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM