Posted: Nov 14th 2009 1:04PM Cinnamoon said

It really depends on the game and the quality of the writing. It's rare that an MMO's quest text is consistently worth the bother. You already know that completing the quest won't change the world before you -- and that takes a lot of the punch out of anything you read or respond to. If nothing you do in the game matters, why waste the time? With a single-player game that hides its railroad tracks a bit better, it's usually worth the effort.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 1:09PM Pingles said

I think some games really make it hard to take the quests seriously.

Some games throw 100 low-xp quests at you and very few are worth reading. When I am running around a town trying to grab as many quests as I can I have to admit that I RARELY read any more than the first sentence or two.

I'd much rather have 3 or 4 very complex multi-part, high XP quests that I can get involved with.

I am currently playing a game and have 17 quests started mainly because I am desperate for XP. They are VERY low XP quests so I am chewing through them as fast as possible, which is unfortunate.

I have experienced some GREAT storytelling in questlines (Mor'Ladim in WoW for one) and wish some games took their quests more seriously.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 1:15PM (Unverified) said

The first time I do a quest, yes. The second time, maybe. After that, the chance of me not reading it go up exponentially. Even if it's poorly written, I read quest text because it at least makes me feel like there's some purpose to the grind instead of "I'm killing ten zombie farmer ninja cyborgs because that dude in the town had a quest for it". I mean, it boils down to that reason, but I like lore and backstory, so the quest text helps.

Hell, when I played WoW, I read all the readable books in Scarlet Monastery, and I feel like I enjoyed the instance all the more because of it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 1:21PM (Unverified) said

I would never skip over quest text, no matter how ridiculous the premise of the game in question is. Quest-text is essentially the MMOs story-telling medium for players. Do I wish story-telling in MMOs wasn't so heavily based on quest-text and NPC chat bubbles? Absolutely. I think one of the genres weakest points is story-telling and that includes games like LOTRO and the WotLK expansion. What's so frustrating about this is how this genre is probably the most truly RPG heavy out of any other game genre. I don't really have any solutions, but I'm probably not the only one. Then again, maybe MMOs weren't made for what's essentially an imitation of single-player games with quest-based leveling rather than open ended, you're simply living in this world and your character makes his own story kind of game like Ultima Online.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 1:29PM (Unverified) said

Sometimes I do , sometimes I do not. The story has to be interesting enough for me to read it all.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 2:49PM Daelen said

Never. Unless I get lost doing the quest or have one of those, ya I'm not getting it moments. Then I read the text.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 2:57PM (Unverified) said

I never read the quest text. Sure, sometimes I try to read the text, say if I'm in a new game or starting in a new expansion in an old one, but it never fails: after about an hour I'm just accepting quests and doing objectives without care for the context. Even in critically acclaimed LOTRO and WOTLK I didn't care about the story - too much standing around reading when there's so much to do.

The reason I'm the only person in the world NOT looking forward to The Old Republic? I HATE cutscenes with tons of dialog that I could read 10x faster or choose to skip otherwise. I absolutely do not play MMOs for story - I think developers are too worried about it now and critics should really just shut up about it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 3:53PM Celestian said

I don't read it unless I have to. I'd rather have a cinematic or nothing at all.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:01PM (Unverified) said

Quest text is for anything than immersion totally useless. I wish however that more games would actually offer conversations like in AoC instead of a quest text window. But where AoC failed was that the conversations always lead to exactly the same quest. But if conversations would lead to different rewards, different reputation and so on then people would actually not just click thru it.

But in games like WoW it's just tell me where to go, what to deliver, what to kill and what to collect and I'm off.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:03PM TOYBOXX said

With every new quest that I accept I read the text. Not only to learn about the lore of the game but also to know what I'm getting myself into. And with the game I play (DDO) it doesn't take that long to read the quest information. Maybe 5 minutes if that. However, if I'm doing the same quest multiple times then, yeah, I'll breeze through the quest text and start grinding.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:38PM devilmachine said

Sometimes I read the quest text, but more often than not I just skim read it looking for clues on who to speak to or who to kill.

It seems the majority of people do the same.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:57PM breezer said

Never. Ever.

I look at quests as a tedious obstacle, a grind. Sure, when I first came across my first quest grinder (Vanguard) I thought it was the best way to level up ever, by now though, I really, really, REALLY hate it. I might still play WoW if the thought of leveling my toons from 71-80 didn't make me want to tear my eyeballs out.

I don't care why you want me to go kill x mobs, or go right click something. Not at all. In my opinion you should stop taking advantage of my need for exp and do it your damn self.

Can't adequately express quite how much I hate stupid grind fodder. Give me an old school camp, let me get a group and pull the same mobs for hours. This is 10x more interesting to me. Srsly.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 6:54PM Faryon said

Depends what type of quest it is.. for gather x amount of something and kill x rat quests I skip it, but for quests where I need to kill a named NPC or get a cool-sounding item I will read it.. most of the time at least.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 7:01PM (Unverified) said

I usually read the quest text the first time I'm doing this quest. While most of those texts aren't very interesting there are always some well written stories among them. WotLK was very good in telling stories via quests. Better than all MMOs I played before and also better than some single-player games.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 8:22PM (Unverified) said

Depends on the game. In WoW, I found the quest text well written, concise, and often funny, so I found it worth reading. In Mass Effect (not an MMO i know) I listened to all of the voice acting. In Aion, I skip it. Every single NPC tells you their freaking life's story (most of them don't have very interesting lives either!) before they go "oh yeah, go kill 10 mudgoblins for me".

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 10:36PM mysecretid said

Almost always -- unless the quest text is redundant or poorly written.

Which, I suppose, is a way of saying "It depends on the game". Some MMORPGs do quests right, while some don't.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 11:53PM (Unverified) said

I tend to read more if lore names I recognise pop up, or if the quest chain is particularly curious (involving clues in the text, or involving mystery and suspense!). If its going to be one or two delivery /kill/ whatever quests for Bob the Blacksmith, then a quick skim is all the attention I'll give it.

Posted: Nov 15th 2009 8:04AM (Unverified) said

I generally read all the quest text in LOTRO, although I tend to skim read it unless it's a Book quest. On my WoW trial I found quest text lacked story or consequence generally. Personally I like voiced over quest briefings in Bioware games and am very pleased SWTOR will feature this. Voiced over quest briefings are far more film-like and less likely to be ignored in my opinion. Overall I think quest text should be fairly brief, but with story, removing quest text from games would just remove any shred of story that game once had, leaving the game to the more competitive sorts.

Posted: Nov 15th 2009 8:25AM (Unverified) said

I mindlessly accept all quests and then while running to where I need to go for them I open up the quest log and read them, a great way to make travelling much less boring. I usually try to read them since there's often a lot of effort put into writing them.

Posted: Nov 15th 2009 12:04PM (Unverified) said

no... its boring, time consuming and takes away from all the pewpew.

Imagine walking into a new town and seeing 5 or 6 different ppl with quests, its quite exasperating to think that id have to listen to all of them =O... Sometimes its inevitable to do so in order to complete but thank god for the objectives section.

I like the 'cinematic' cut-scenes in game. Now thats a way to keep u engaged in the lore.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014