Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:38PM Zellis said

Everquest was my first mmo, and I still hold it near and dear to my heart. I Wish I had Friends who still played so I could get back into it, but all of them have moved on. Ive never had the same feeling I had when I first played ever quest back in 2000, and got to see another Player right next to my Avatar. Breath Taking! This Video has mixed up some nostalgia and emotion from this Gamer. I think Jace is doing a good job and Im VERY much so looking forward to the next 9 :)

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 4:41PM Bueno said

Is this the same as the movie that was released at the last Fan Faire?

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 5:16PM Zellis said

I think they only released the Trailer at the fan faire. Could be wrong though, I didn't go.

Posted: Nov 15th 2009 1:06AM (Unverified) said

EQ was my first mmorpg and probably one of my favorite games of all time over all platforms. Playing on a pvp server from the get go it was a great compliment to the games mechanics. Since the game was group focused as far as progressing past the early levels reputation was important. If you randomly killed people you would soon be known as a pk (player killer) and chances are it would be harder if not impossible to find groups. Since dying included coin and a droppable item as loot, deaths mattered, as did recovering your corpse with armor/items. The whole mixture worked very well in the scheme of things. Also the fully connecting world with no instancing or copied zones added to the feel of a real world, something many of todays mmogs are failing quite badly on in my opinion, (they later added instancing in ldon, but pre ldon was the best).

It's funny to look back because many of the things that made EQ so great are mechanics that many of todays mmog designers seem to think are flaws. Ideas like a fully connected world, death penalty, player loot, and need for grouping are just a few examples. Most players play mmogs for a few reasons, IP weather new or already existing, gameplay, graphics, and community. Sadly many developers seem to forget about the community, in favor of money. Too many mmogs today decide to let players solo their way without ever grouping. The easiest way to create community in these games is to force them to group. It's the easiest building block to the idea around yet developers shy away and try to cater to the masses instead. There's a reason why EQ is still coming out with expansions 10 years down the road. Anyways I had many fun years with the game and don't regret any of it. Shout out to Rallos Zek and Sullon Zek!

Posted: Feb 5th 2010 10:10AM (Unverified) said

Couldn't agree more with sikk.

Hakatri