Posted: Nov 13th 2009 5:43PM JaySpeed said

I really need to do some research on this game. I thought there would be entire ship interiors. Not every single crew quarters but the main area's would have been nice. I want to go to my engineering section, medical bay, ten forward (kitchen/social area), corridors on each deck, detention holding cells (brig), cargo bay, and transporter bay. Having jefferies tubes would have been great but that's asking alot for each ship type. I do hope they have the Captain's personal quarters accessable on some random deck and a "ready room" on the bridge. I want to walk from the bridge to the transporter bay for away missions. Maybe I'm expecting too much from this game.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 6:29PM (Unverified) said

The aesthetics of the bridge are a powerful touchstone of the Star Trek experience and I find myself much more excited now about STO than I was previously. Great move Cryptic.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 7:24PM Lionhearted said

This is a great step, but I want more. I'd like to really be able to get to my own housing unit, engineering, the medical bay, astrometrics, etc... maybe even in expansions things like a holodec (what an awesome thing THAT would be for Mission Episodes!).... etc.

I'm okay if I have to wait for those sorts of things in the future, but I thnk they can be implemented in ways that are actually meaningful -- getting to see some of the things you 'purchase' to improve your ship, etc. Some of them could be implemented as parts of Mission Episodes, or tools for the ship. These are all fundamental parts of Star Trek and should, eventually, be included in the game -- and sooner rather than later.

They should start with the easiest and most important stuff (easy: player housing, harder but potentially important for things like Mission Episodes: holodecks, astrometric labs, etc), but should eventually make the game feel like you're actually in Star Trek, with access to many parts of a ship.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 7:09PM Ingrod said

Bridges is not equal to other players team mates using the consoles.

You remain the Captain, and on consoles will be your own NPC bridge officers, not other players.

You can receive visits from other player Captains, and do away missions or fleet action with them, but not piloting one ship how a team.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 9:38PM (Unverified) said

I hope the positive vibes about this sends a strong message to cryptic.

Star Trek is about ships but more importantly, the crew. It's not EVE with just ships and flottillas. It's Star Trek.

There are people that want to be engineers. Engineering could be a crafting skill - the more complicated the better.

They really need to put the tools in place for the Star Trek RPers to find a home. As weird as they are - they would populate the game quickly (just look at what they have done on Second Life). It doesn't take much - bridges, ready rooms, and the like.

A Star Trek version of WoW will fail. I hope that message is getting through to cryptic loud and clear.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 2:56AM (Unverified) said

Call me a broken record, but they *#&@ed this up. Without players as bridge officers, the entire ship combat is just any other "everyones teh starr" online game. Silent Hunter III's front end, made multiplayer, and Trek themed would have been the way to go.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 3:46AM (Unverified) said

Hopefully Cryptic will take notice of everybody's response. They are probably shaking their heads right now going, "Wtf? People are buying our game because we include ship interiors????" My answer: Yes, that's Star Trek in a nutshell.

I'm still perdicting this game will fail. They really haven't been showing the walking around shooting with phasers part of the game, and probably for good reason as the few bits I've seen look horrible. The away team concept seems pretty stupid as well. If you don't bring friends, you have to bring a.i bots.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 3:09PM Randomessa said

"The away team concept seems pretty stupid as well. If you don't bring friends, you have to bring a.i bots."

I don't know; that concept works pretty well for Guild Wars and even Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Posted: Nov 16th 2009 8:08AM Snichy said

People may be jumping the gun a bit. Ok, they have implemented a bridge shot but does that necessarily mean you can get up and walk around the whole bridge interacting with the crew and scenery?

Maybe not - maybe it is just a few static screens of your captian avatar sitting in the chair while you enter in coordinates, trade or travel. The "social hub" part could be just in chat.

I hope not, I hope it is free-moving and as important as they say it is like everyone is expecting, just a word of caution...!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014