Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:09PM Snichy said

There will be a lot people happy about this. Its not high on my list of priorities but anything extra is always welcome, as long as its done properly and not rushed on as an afterthought.

The highest priority for me in this game is that the universe feels massive (like it does with Eve) and you can go anywhere (within reason) - the last thing I want is to only be able to go to a handful of systems and be restricted on where you can go in the whole universe - space is big so it should feel that way in a game, not be told you cant go there because they havent implemented the programming yet :)

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:15PM (Unverified) said

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitting in space! But seriously, me liking command chair.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:17PM Thac0 said

Huzzah! A step in the direction i was hoping the game would go! Great decision Cryptic you made a lot of people happy to hear this.

P.S. I hope more interiors are being implemented after launch like crew cabins to drink your tea and write your captains logs in.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:32PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:27PM ultimateq said

FANTASTIC!

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:33PM (Unverified) said

I'm elated. I may buy the game on release day after all. :) Seems like such a small thing... but still.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:41PM archipelagos said

Wonderful. It really makes a world of difference.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:53PM (Unverified) said

I have no idea why I'm happy about this, but I am.
Small things can make a difference I guess.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 12:55PM TheJackman said

Ok this little news bit, just make me change my mind about NOT getting it... now its a Maybe! Still in game stores will make me not support this game!!

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 1:08PM (Unverified) said

Know what you mean Jack. I couldn't believe when they announced the game would just have one person per ship. I was like WTF?

And no they don't need to have an entire ship you can walk around in but if they just had the bridge and say five or six positions that you filled, I think that was more than suffice for a start. The team aspect, being the crew of the enterprise, and their interaction with one another as they tackled new problems was one of the cornerstones of the show.

At the same time, I realize the complexities of it. What if someone wants to be play solo and not play with others. They shouldn't have to be forced to do so. Still wish they provided some options in this regards.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 1:05PM ultimateq said

I thought I should post again to show my complete happiness.

I was so afraid that this game might bomb, it still could, but it is about 70% less likely than it was. Exploring the interior of my ship is large portion I wanted to play this game.

Starting out with the bridge is good enough for me.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 1:34PM (Unverified) said

I'm am really psyched to hear that not only bridges will be available at release, but that this might also be a sign that Cryptic is starting to be a bit better about listening to what the fans (and hopefully future customers) are looking for in the game.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that they do plan on adding a captain's ready room sometime soon after launch... the combination of those two would go a long way to help foster player immersion in the Star Trek universe in my opinion. I am a touch wary of Cryptic, but I must admit that the game sounds better each time I hear more details. The real proof will be on Feb 2nd I guess.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 1:26PM Zantom said

They may have saved this game before it started. You cannot deliver a Star Trek experience with any depth without ship interiors. That is were 80 or so percent of Star Trek takes place!

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 1:52PM (Unverified) said

I find it amazing that they would actually consider even designing Star Trek online without the most important set piece in the whole franchise. Have they ever watched any of the Star Trek series'.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 2:05PM (Unverified) said

Bingo.

That's the thing that would make me really worry, actually. For the devs to have ever considered not including bridges would make me very, very worried about what other parts of the Star Trek 'experience' they may or may not include.

Granted, I don't care at all about the game, but still. This bridge announcement would be like the SW:TOR guys coming out and announcing 'Hey, we're actually going to have lightsabers in the game! How cool is that?'

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 2:15PM Randomessa said

As far as I understand, the bridge interiors WERE planned for the game, just not to be included at launch.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 2:29PM Blacknimbus said

I want seatbelts...and fuses for the control panels.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 3:36PM (Unverified) said

That is a pretty tough looking Hotel.

I bet it's going to beat up all the other Hotels in Space.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 3:56PM CCon99 said

This is a good start that should please a lot of people, but they'll have to eventually make those bridges work during combat or just flying around. This might be the first time an STO article on this site gets mostly positive comments.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 4:16PM AlluvianEstEndrati said

This is very cool news indeed. I have not been keeping tabs on the continuing development of STO since I lost interest in CO a while back. However it looks like things are proceeding along nicely, I hope the game is actually ready for launch come the given release date as I plan to be there.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny