Posted: Nov 12th 2009 12:43PM LaughingTarget said

I refuse to have anything to do with monks in D&D. They're just too out of place in a game designed around Western high fantasy. Ki, monastic orders of hand to hand combattants just doesn't work in the setting. They're also a cheese class, way too dominant in the game.

Posted: Nov 12th 2009 3:59PM Thac0 said

Its hard to call the world of Eberron Western high fantasy. Greyhawk or Dragonlance yes; this world... not so much the same.

Posted: Nov 12th 2009 4:33PM LaughingTarget said

I don't see it. Everything is pretty much your stock Western European fantasy mash-up, then you have monks. They just feel so out of place.

Posted: Nov 12th 2009 6:08PM (Unverified) said

Eberron has magic trains, airships a banking system interconnected with magic portals, psionics and intelligent+emotional constructs running around all over the place. Western Europe during medieval times + wizards it ain't.

Posted: Nov 13th 2009 3:58PM TOYBOXX said

I agree. Monks really have nothing to do with D&D. As was said, the world(s) of Dungeons and Dragons are set in a medieval European theme. And by adding a Monk the first thing that comes to mind is the anime stylings of Dragonball Z, or the exaggerated cinematics of Crouching Tiger, hidden Dragon, or The Matrix. The Monk is obviously a throw-in to appeal to a certain type of player, and as for me and alot of fans of the table-top game, it would of been better if the class was killed off out-right because it separates so much from itself to the core theme of the game.

Posted: Nov 12th 2009 4:43PM pcgneurotic said

Weellll, I tend to agree here, but I think it's less the setting and more the whole concept of anything oriental being in D&D. Even though they had that whole Oriental Adventures setting, it does seem kind of odd.

Having said that, I've played a monk in EQ2 for years, and have no problems accepting them in the Norrathian world. But then, I've been D&Ding for nearly 30 years, so the prejudice is a bit more ingrained there I think. :D

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 7:06PM (Unverified) said

Sorry people, buy you've strayed very far from the D&D roots if you think so. In second edition there were specific eastern influenced campaing settings and modules.

D&D Online simply offers no novelty here. It's all part of D&D since almost the beginning. You can even find a monk in some older cRPGs, from Eye of The Beholder era.
Even second edition Forgotten Realms has official modules for eastern kingdoms. Not to mention 3rd Edition.

I do not say I love it, but it adds some variety. There's nothing wrong in this, that was even our medieval reality - we had knights and inqusition, they've had samurai warriors, ninja, etc. Funny, but that's how it was back then. Only traveling to see this variety was much more diffiucult, and hostility prevented any contact further.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014