Posted: Nov 9th 2009 4:42PM Anatidae said

The people with the real vision behind CoX must have left Cryptic. Champions did take some of the cool ideas behind CoX - nice custom hero creating! But the spirit of CoX is lost a bit.

So many MMOs try and copy WoW these days - yet fail to realize that WoW was the MMO released by a big name at the right time. It came before the crest of the dot-com and just like many other internet fads, became the name brand for online MMOs. It achieved a critical mass, that carries it forward through all it's faults. Not to say it isn't bad, but a cut/paste of sections of WoW's gameplay is not the answer for new MMOs. (which is what they feel like they are doing).

It reminds me of all the FPS games that come out and how most of them are dull. Every now and then we get a "Left for Dead" and suddenly the game is fresh again. Sure it is a FPS and conventions apply, but it was created with inspiration behind it.

That said, there are a few MMOs with some serious inspiration that have not done so well for other reasons. WAR is a current example. Public Quests, Open Groups - both nice ideas. It does go to show that you need to make sure the core MMO basics are there too (server/client performance for example.)

Guess we will see. Guess we will see....

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 5:56PM Seare said

I find that the most vocal of vocal MMO players are usually the ones that are never satisfied and have nothing but negative comments about everything. They are also the minority of paying customers. Therefore, game developers don't listen to them. None of you are fortune tellers, so save your doom and gloom until after launch. If your not interested then don't play. It's as simple as that.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 9:38PM karnisov said

wait and see could be valid if there was a free trial, but since theres not, a healthy dose of skepticism is justified. even moreso with the negative comments i've been hearing from testers. pay $50 just to find out that it sux? nah. i'll skip buying it at release and check on it a year later. that stance saved me alot of headache and disappointment with Warhammer.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 3:07AM pcgneurotic said

Well said.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 7:32AM Seare said

That's a reasonable plan. However, I wouldn't listen to testers. The ones who are running their mouths are violating the agreement they signed and therefore have no integrity. Also, I still think many players have unrealistic expectations. There WILL NEVER be a perfect game, period. Listen to friends and reviewers that you know and trust or try it out yourself.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 4:56PM (Unverified) said

Being an EVE Online player for close to a year now I'm kinda looking forward to STO. I know it's gonna be a very different game then EVE but that doesn't make it a bad game. I'm gonna wait to pass any judgment until I actually get my hands on the finished game and play it. Though I personally could care less if the game is 100% cannon. I just want a fun game where I can go pew pew pew and not have to worry about losing a ship I spent 6 months getting. Cuz after all EVE is a career more then a game at some points it seems lol. I still love it to death though.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 5:21PM CCon99 said

Out of fuel (money), game over.

There's an Astro Blaster reference for ya.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 5:54PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Hmmm more asteroids?

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 7:56PM Lateris said

This seems like a really short beta. Do you think they are that confident in their product or just running out of funding? I wish them the best but I am going to sit this one out and stick with LOTRO and Eve. Good luck ATARI. I am applying the wait and see recession customer tactic.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 11:01PM (Unverified) said

As someone who can or cannot talk about the so called STO. Don't Do it! Just walk a way. Never run from anything that is fail. Mark my remarks. Wait for Star Wars The Old Republic.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 5:24AM (Unverified) said

Can't wait to see for myself... I've been pretty skeptical of STO, especially considering Champions(which I enjoy, despite how very very flawed it is). If Cryptic is using the same beta model the used for Champions, then I am even less confident in their ability to make a good game.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 5:46AM Drexel said

I would just like to comment that some people may or may not be having a very great experience in beta...those people would be highly unlikely to say much about it in your typical "doom and gloom" comment thread because they would probably want to continue having that great experience.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 7:53AM Seare said

I'll admit that the short beta does concern me a little, but consider this. No game will ever be perfect at launch. If a developer attempts to make the game perfect, it could end up being in beta so long that it dies before ever being launched. From a business perspective, it's better to launch the game with as few bugs as reasonable, generate some funds and fix bugs as they are discovered. If they keep the game in beta too long, they will eventually run out of money and the game will die. Its not ideal, but it's just the way it is. TOR is the only possible exception I see to this rule. Bioware and EA have a lot more money then Cryptic or Funcom, so they may be able to hold out longer and fix more bugs. However, once they finally launch, it will not be perfect, there will be bugs. The only thing that matters to me: "Is it fun to play and therefore worth my time?"

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 8:51AM Tom in VA said

Well, I, for one, am looking forward to this game.

Every aspect of it that I have read about thus far sounds right on the money.

As for player-crewed ships, I am absolutely delighted that Cryptic did not implement anything of the sort. Such a feature would have ruined this game, in my opinion.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 3:24PM (Unverified) said

why to call it startrek if it has nothing common with the startrek shows ?

even the new movie was just kiddy startrek character in a totally different unlike startrek setting.

it should be named White Ship with Kid.

and the game ? "not startrek".

I mean it's not because you draw a klingon, a starfleet pyjama and speak about kithomer than you're making "startrek". If the "startrek" stuff is so bad you can't fathom a game truly about it, forget it, create NEW things.

Posted: Nov 10th 2009 4:59PM Drexel said

Let's all keep in mind that STO is running the HERO engine just like Champion's Online. It will have CO's same server structure. That means they can draw from their experience they had testing, releasing and supporting CO to make STO's beta more effective. Granted there is still a lot of work to do in other areas of the game but this could be one reason for a shortened beta.

The 800 pound elephant in the corner is WoW:C though...who knows when that is coming out. If it launches on top of STO this game will be crushed even if they threw a free super model in every box and had the game code approved by Jesus.

Posted: Nov 11th 2009 12:06AM CCon99 said

STO is already releasing in a bad window, APB is currently pushing to come out a month later in March 2010.

Posted: Nov 14th 2009 11:45AM Tizmah said

Final Fantasy XIV is fail, APB is fail, DC Universe is fail, STOR is fail.

inb4 over doom and gloomers.

Posted: Jan 29th 2010 2:13PM (Unverified) said

i played the beta....all you guys are idiots to think that if they didnt do it like wow, it must suck.....WRONG,, if you have a engine made already, you can use it for numerous projects, wow, they had to make a completly new engine for it. This game has a chance to be great, and here you are, just because of the fact noone knows who you are, you can say the worst of the worst, and not have to worry about the fact, that your a inmature pimpled faced 13 year old with braces and a curly red afro.... They did a good job for the beta, and the fact that it was beta, and has some flaws with it, you think that they rushed it out...Cryptic isnt E.A. sports....."city of" was there 1st mmo, and it was sweet, and yeah....everyone knows they put out CO just to get money for STO, thats why CO was a joke....STO...is way better than WoW, or EQ......eve is the only other mmo out there thats kinda worth it.....

Hands-on with Windborne's early access