Posted: Nov 6th 2009 1:21PM aurickle said

Wow, talk about old news. This came out a couple weeks ago.

I'm surprised you haven't done much about the ongoing dev diary series about the new skirmishes system. Part 6 was just posted today and can be read at http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/522-developer-diary-som-skirmishes-accessibility

Posted: Nov 6th 2009 4:23PM JohnD212 said

I'm surprised the servers would continue to be a challenge this many years after the release...don't they eventually figure out how to handle the increase in population? I'm sure there will be some problems at launch but by now I would expect them to be fairly standard. Guess that's why I'm not a game developer...I know NOTHING!!!! lol

Posted: Nov 6th 2009 9:37PM (Unverified) said

generally server stability isn't a problem most of the time, there's two things/weak points they'd be worried about:

1: what happens when everyone clusters into one zone - you can see hints of it in Dalaran in WoW (only hints, because they're managed pretty well), where the server is dealing with so many connections on the one node. This causes major lag for anyone in zone, and also manifests as loot not appearing, mobs teleporting, etc. Any expansion release this is a likely occurance, as everyone floods into the new content.

2: the download servers - if everyone wants to download a patch at once, say the patch is 800mb - there's gonna be a point there where MANY MANY people are downloading it at once - meaning horribly slow download speeds, possible patcher timeouts, etc - all things likely to annoy players.

Posted: Nov 9th 2009 3:37AM pcgneurotic said

I don't usually follow dev diaries and things, but I looked at this one for fun, and found it to be well-written and interesting, so thanks for that Massively

"In retrospect, we might have reduced the scope of the Mirkwood region in order to focus our resources more and go for a somewhat shorter experience with more color and depth, knowing that the Skirmish system was going to help fill in for quite a bit of hack-and-slash game play."

I for one would rather have a fuller Mirkwood experience than a more detailed Skirmish system; the latter doesn't interest me nearly as much as the former.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM