Posted: Nov 5th 2009 3:27PM Pingles said

"Let's be honest, people play new content for the rewards."

I guess I am in the minority, then. I enjoy new content for the experience of seeing new content. I like disappearing into their world and discovering new things to see and fight. I don't think I've ever purchased or downloaded an expansion because I was excited about the new sword or pants I could get.

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 3:38PM Oneiromancer said

Maybe it's more appropriate to say that "people *repeat" content for the rewards."

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 6:08PM (Unverified) said

^ This. ^ Can't say it any better.

At least this confirms that Turbine is converting LotRO into a WoW clone instead of expanding on the formula they used for making it a wonderfully immersive and enjoyable world to get lost in.

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 3:51PM TOYBOXX said

I'm new to MMO genre and from what I'm seeing and hearing from MMO gamers is the constant comparison to World of Warcraft. I understand WoW has set the bar for the future of the genre, but now with every other MMO game that comes out, people expect that particular game to be like WoW. Diversity is welcomed in my book. And with comments like "Let's be honest, people play new content for the rewards." coming from the dev diary shares this mentality. Not all games should be about "grinding" or finding the best loot. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the game. If the focus becomes just about grinding and loot whoring then what's the point? To me it's all about the story (if the game has any) and the overall experience.

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 4:39PM (Unverified) said

At one time Turbine had this "stop and smell the roses" mentality to LOTRO. Then came radiance farming.

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 7:14PM JaySpeed said

Well to be fair, radiance is only needed for raiding. If you don't raid (like me), you don't need to farm radiance gear. I am very much looking forward to skirmishes. The system sounds like alot of fun. I plan on spending my end game time playing skirmishes and ranking my creep.

Posted: Nov 5th 2009 9:44PM (Unverified) said

I've been playing LOTRO since launch and still enjoy it's immersion, story, and excellent community. I haven't done any radiance farming at all. You're not forced to do it. It's really the player's choice. People who focus on these issues tend to forget all the other content that doesn't involve any gear grind. LOTRO has solo, small group, large group, and raid content so players can play what they like. Skirmishes add another option. The more options the better IMO.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014