Posted: Nov 4th 2009 10:37AM LaughingTarget said

Multiplayer and Online have little to argue about. It isn't vague. Multiplayer is
more than one and Online is over an Internet connection. Simple. It's all down to the first M.

This falls into a bit of a paradoxical problem in definition. If we start with two and add one, it isn't massive. We can add one indefinitely and each time it would never be massive. The old "how many grains of sand make a heap" question.

Since we can't objectively define massive, it's vague, then what makes an MMO is purely subjective. On either extreme it's of little debate (tow isn't massive but 10 million is), but in between is up in the air.

Since there isn't a defined cut off point, there is no right answer.

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 10:47AM Ayenn said

Are you talking about MMOG or MMORPG?

If you are talking about a MMOG then anything with a large online gaming component is a MMOG.

If you are talking about a MMORPG then character persistence (no one has ever made a game with changing world persistence though love may qualify) as well as massive online gaming community/server

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 12:02PM (Unverified) said

Excellent point Angel. There are MMOs and then there are MMORPGs.

The problem is so many people today imply MMORPG when they say MMO. Just look at the comments above. I agree with you though. An MMO shouldn't need to have character progression like an MMORPG would.

And ya, I'd consider LOVE to be an MMO as well. You can have 500 players online at once in the same world server and the world is persistent.

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 5:29PM Atnor said

Exactly... this was my thought. The games we traditionally think of (and have over time just shortened the name) as MMOs are actually games I consider MMORPGs. Games where there is focus on character development, and a persistent world, and most of the other things we consider essential to games like EQ, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, etc.

I would say there is a big explosion in MMOs... multiplayer online games... and not quite as big a buildup of MMORPGs

MMORPGs go one step further past the MMO idea of , "you're online in the same place as others and maybe there's some sort of competition with them"

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 8:24PM (Unverified) said

I think the biggest thing here is people are arguing over semantics.

"It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." We can all argue until we're blue in the face about "Massively" and "Online" having to mean "Not Offline", but its doesn't accomplish much.

I can say that when I play Borderlands, I feel like I'm playing an MMO. Whether you're playing locally or connected to a 'session' your character and items, skills, advancement is persistant. It has all the bells and whistles OF an MMO, but Is it an MMO? No, not by our current definitions.

I think the thrust of the article is that with our advancing technologies, new MMO genres and advancements in console online play in this generation, that the lines are blurring and our perceptions may be (Or should) blur with them. Be open to this change.

Dust 514 is a good example. Is it going to be NOT an MMO because its based on a Console? People have so many defining factors of what MAKES an MMO an MMO, that they're missing out and overlooking great advancements in gaming.

Borderlands is a LOT Of fun, solo or with you friends. I can only hope Borderlands is selling as fast world wide as it is in my neck of the woods (I got the literal last copy in town 3 days after it came out), because I hope developers take note of this new, dare I say..Subgenre? and Continue to push the envelope.

Sorry, TL;DR I know..I talk a lot :)

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 7:05PM (Unverified) said

The difference between a massive multiplayer game and a miltiplayer game is that a "massive" amount of players is participating in THE SAME GAME SESSION. WoW is not massive because 10 million players are playing it, it's massive because a few thousand are playing on the same realm.

Because the game world of WoW is persistent, the game session never ends but you could also think of an mmo with sessions only lasting a few month or weeks or days or even hours as long as enough players are participating. Think of a battle between two medieval armys where every single soldier is a player. Games like Battlefield are heading in this direction but don't support the player numbers to call them massive yet.

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 10:05PM cray said

Borderlands is an OMG (Online Multiplayer Game), debate over.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM