Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Yes, bootcamp is a bit of pain initially, but once set up its a joy to use. WAR ran wonderfully on my Macbook Pro.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:33AM TexRob said

• Half a heart
I'm sure the 10 people still playing WAR are excited about this.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:39AM Celestian said

You think out of those 10 people someone uses a MAC? HAH!

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:05PM TexRob said

• 1 heart
lol, downvote me, but I actually have a clue about what I am talking about. I have 3 40s, two of which are RR50+, one who is RR60+. The game could have been great, but like others have said, they totally screwed it up by not addressing issues. I could list 100 bullet points of bugs that are STILL in the game. I've never seen a company care less about bugs/exploits than Mythic.

As far as comments about their next game, I seriously doubt you see another Mythic MMO.

As for my original comment, there should be 1 out of the 10 people that has a Mac:

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:49AM Floweringmind said

It is not running native on the Mac, it is actually using Cider which is a form of Cedega for the Mac.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:59AM drakino said

Too late. I did resubscribe for 2 months to show support for the Mac version, but MMO game vendors need to release their Mac versions day 1 with the PC version if they want to attract customers. I had friends that played it at launch, and would have played with them more. But having to reboot to play was enough of a hinderance compared to just playing WoW that I rarely bothered. And now I don't know anyone playing, so I'm not interested.

While I don't like Cider ports, it's at least a step in the right direction. Next time, if Mythic has a client out day one, I'll be more interested.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:09PM Zensun said

I tried the Mac client, and the performance was quite poor compared to running in Boot Camp. I don't think it's fair to call it 'native'. It's more an emulation wrapper around a Windoze app, I think, so performance is going to be hit compared to running the app under Windoze. Unlike WoW, which has a completely native Mac client.

And since I'm no longer booting into Boot Camp, I guess that means I need to continue to give WAR a pass. Just like CoX - used to love that game, but the Mac client isn't properly native, and performance isn't what it should be.

Come on, devs - let's get PROPER Mac clients - not flimsy emulation wrappers. Many of us don't want to have to boot into Windoze just to play the occasional game.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:38PM (Unverified) said

As previously stated, this is NOT a native client. I'm not sure why the author stated that. The performance is not on par with the "native" Windows version. I was excited to try the Mac client, and loved WAR initially. But the bugs and problems with the game (some of which are reported to have existed since beta) finally drove my friends and I away.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM