Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:04AM davidarmstrong488 said

Maybe this is cheating, but having played WoW, EVE, and other games, it's made me a fantastic DM for my DnD group.

I learned time management skills as a result of playing the games.

And reading about player's builds and watching PvP videos, studying the "cookie cutter" set ups that players come up with, taught me how to identify value within a context. I didn't learn how to read the stitches on a fastball until I watched someone else do it, and that didn't happen until I became involved with MMOs.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:32AM GaaaaaH said

Way to rub it in with the pic

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:45AM (Unverified) said

MMO is the thing that made my english decent.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:48AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
We have had wars going on forever and the best redleg pic you can find is of training (they are wearing MILES gear)?

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:50AM (Unverified) said

I learned to type fast from playing MMO's, but I don't think there's much you could say an MMO taught you that you would want to put on a resume without getting laughed at in the interview.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 9:26AM Wisdomandlore said

I learned HTML from posting on MMO forums. Does that count?

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 9:32AM (Unverified) said

i learned the stealthy shadow arts of the ninja.

also, i learned how to say hello in chinese.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 9:43AM (Unverified) said

Personally I have learned how to better manage people from different age groups, and get them all working as a team. Leading a 250+ member guild and running 40 man raids lead to improving my natural leadership skills.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 10:43AM Jesspiper said

Not much to be honest. Working as a team with people I can't explain things to in person has been interesting, not sure where I'd use that though IRL.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:05AM ultimateq said

Since I started to play Everquest some 8 years ago, my grammar and vocabulary have improved substantially.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:22AM Faryon said

Not much tbh.. I guess all the gaming has given me an impression of what works and what does not work in MMOs, but unless I get a job at a developer those skills are pretty much wasted.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:31AM Macabre 13 said

MMO's have taught me how badly I want to punch interwebs people in the face.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:53AM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
Poop socking it in front of a PC game is not going to improve anything that another activity couldn't be improved by reading a book or speaking to real people.

Folks who think this has a positive impact on any sort of 'leadership' or 'interpersonal' skills are deluding themselves.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:47PM Laephis said

Thank you for posting this, I was afraid I was the only one who saw this as mass delusion. Folks, you're playing a video game where you press button 2 repeatedly, followed by 3 and maybe a 4. If you want to get good at dancing, you need to take a dance class. If you want to get better at managing people, go back to business school and get that MBA you've been putting off for years. The only thing that playing an MMO makes you is better at is playing MMOs.

I see articles like these as mostly rationalizations for the huge amount of time you've sunk into a game. Yeah, it sucks that you've spent 1000 hrs playing your UD rogue instead of learning how to play an instrument, but trying to justify it isn't going to help any. I've done my fair share of MMOs but I'm not going to fool myself that it was anything other than large amounts of entertainment.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:20PM (Unverified) said

I suppose you could learn some leadership skills from an MMO. Those people most likely would learn those skill through many other means however.

In most cases I'd say the thing that MOST people learn from MMO's is

- Lack of physical exercise.
- Eye strain.
- Joint atrophy.
- How to tank, heal, dps (are these even remotely relevant to the real world?)

The list could go on and on. Time and again I've found that MMO players tend to over obsess about their game, spending way too much time in a computer chair trying to advance a meaningless stat.

I've seen this question asked many times: What did you learn in an MMO. It's such a ridiculous question.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:26PM Graill440 said

Learn leadership skills in a an MMO?, a joke, and a very poor one. The only things you will learn from an MMO is the tiny skillset that includes repeat action and how you dont have to worry about consequence because you feel protected behind that monitor.

Learn leadership? Those of us that earned that skill are laughing at you right now, and to anyone that thinks they can or have learned it from a game, grow up and get a job. (Micky d's doesnt count either)

Stick to the learningcurve that MMO's provide, typing, reading, rote action, and what NOT TO DO in real life to your fellow human beings because most likely if you this you will end up with a face wired shut, or worse.

Sadly as with most learning abilities and lessons the majority of folks have a hard head and a soft ass.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 12:17PM jpkustra said

I've learned that if I'm standing outside and it starts raining, I can summon a huge leaf to hold over my head to keep dry.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 2:14PM (Unverified) said

a few things that has helped i can not say i learned it from mmo's.

1) better people management skills (it has improved because i use it a lot)
2) leading people (again while it don't replace being in the same room leading people it still helps me practice what I've learned)
3) math something i was never really good at but i get to practice it a lot in-game

that about it

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 4:27PM (Unverified) said

Mock all you like but for over a decade, academics have been looking closely at this kind of question, in detail and over time. Businesses and advertisers look at what people learn in games that carries over into real life because it affects their bottomline. Cutting edge companies from Yahoo to Google hire people for their tech savvy, their overall competence, their confidence handling people, and ability to communicate with skills learned in MMOs.

You may have learned to do nothing more than eat at the computer and grow fat, but that's the exception when thousands of MMO players around the world describe specific examples of benefits learned gaming. The one I remember best is the emergency room tech who feels strongly that he grew much better able to remain calm and level-headed under extreme stress, trying to help save people's lives, because of his PvP experiences in WoW. If that's not a positive benefit in the real world, I don't know what is.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 4:44PM (Unverified) said

In the office i currently work in they use IM for everything, the girl in the next cubicle over will im me to see if i have tape, its crazy! but i have gotten good at explaining things (especially UIs) via text messaging.

On the down side my coworkers IM me constantly because i am the only one who has the pateince to walk them through things :(

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014