Posted: Oct 29th 2009 12:20PM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
Lol this was the guy that was like MechScape will be the best of the best bla blabla.... Oops it sucks back to the drawing table! Cost tens of millions? I highly question that he kinda does make it in house I do not think he even lost one million or close to it.... maybe he count the time he lost and when he did get payed for that time.....

"excited to be working on a different title" "big plans" all that are marking crap!

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:02PM Holgranth said

Well at least they had the balls to say "this isn't good enough" vs releasing a half baked piece of crud. These guys remind me a lot of Blizzard, they have made tough decisions to crush real world trading which has turned out to be a game saver so hopefully this turns out about as well.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 2:34PM J Brad Hicks said

I'm disappointed, but I'm not entirely surprised. Thanks to the legacy of Dungeons and Dragons, we all have a sort-of agreed-upon idea of what fantasy roleplaying gameplay looks like: hack and slash warriors, wizards throwing ranged spells, clerics healing and bashing things, thieves sneaking. We don't have a similarly agreed-upon concept of what science fiction roleplaying gameplay would look like, but we know this: attempts to map those same character classes onto science fiction end up looking really stupid. It's going to take real innovation and brilliant design to put out a science fiction multiplayer roleplaying game with distinct character classes and have millions of people all over the world hear the one or two word description of their character and know, instantly, how they're supposed to play it. Nobody's managed that yet. So I'm not surprised Jagex ended up concluding that their first attempt, even once they got it polished, wasn't fun. But I'm terribly disappointed.

Fortunately, STO, SWTOR, and DUST are hovering on the near-term horizon. We'll see if any of them get it right.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 9:53PM thud said

Pitfalls?

I hope they're not worried about cheaters and the likes. They spent so much time and energy into combating them in Runescape and ended up taking away from the enjoyability of gameplay. If that is the reason, or at least one of the reason for this decision, I only hope they'll come to their sense and realize cheats and farmers are just an unfortunate part of ALL mmo's.

Posted: Nov 1st 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

The game isn't canceled, it has effectively become Stellar Dawn and is targeting 2010.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014