Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:44PM Thac0 said

I'm liking my FE trial but its is NOT SWG pre NGE or at least not yet.... We will see how things go with housing, maybe that will make me feel more at home like i did in SWG.

The biggest difference though is in SWG you could change your career anytime you wanted and start again, in FE every AP is precious because if you don't plan from the start what you want you cant go back and fix it. I liked the carefree "leveling" in SWG that FE fails to capture.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:53PM Randomessa said

• 1 heart
I know everyone says that the fantasy genre is overdone, but I would love to play a fantasy version of FE. I was in the beta and really enjoyed my time in FE, but honestly after a while I... really did just want to wear some caster robes! I just couldn't get into the setting enough, though I loved absolutely everything else and the graphics were not an issue for me.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 1:56PM Darkdust said

I played in beta and one of the things that REALLY turned me off was the poor character customization. Has that improved any?

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 2:00PM swarmofcats said

I agree with you, character animations are very very important. Like, one of the most important things about any game.

The way characters stand (like cardboard cutouts) and walk/run in this game really turned me off. Which is a shame, because I love every other aspect of the game... But it really kills immersion when the animations are so stiff and flawed.

"It doesn't affect gameplay in any way, so what does it matter?" It matters to everything, the characters are the number one most important thing and the focus of the entire game.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:24PM Thac0 said

They are pretty bad but its not a deal breaker for me. To be honest LOTRO's crappy looking characters turn me off way more than the funny looing poorly animated characters in FE; even thought they aren't perfect i feel they have a lot of personality.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 2:12PM (Unverified) said

Because there is a first person shooter aspect of this game, it is absolutely reliant on character animations. You need to be able to know how an enemy runs to get a good shot off. If their animations are wonky, its hard to judge.

The only thing that turned me off from this game were the animations. Everything else was fine.

I'll wait to play it when I hear animations are fixed.

Posted: Oct 31st 2009 12:24AM (Unverified) said

I agree and that's why I think pistoleers really get the crappy end of the stick. With scopes on a rifle everything works out pretty well but trying to pistol something that skips frames is pretty hard to do. Does anyone who uses pistols mostly found that aiming and running has gotten easier to do?

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:09PM Russell Clarke said

I very much like the game, when it allows me to progress. However the server rollbacks that have been happening have put a bit of a tarnish on the ability to do anything permanently in the game.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:26PM Pingles said

I have tried several MMOs in the past few months and none have held my attention until I tried FE with their free trial.

I have found myself thinking about the game at work and will be subscribing.

My only complaint is the language. All of the profanity seems very "tacked on" to appeal to teenagers. Just give me regular dialog.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 3:42PM (Unverified) said

I love it too and find myself thinking or reading about it at work all day. But don't take out the language $&*# its the damn apocalypse!

Fix the town lag/framerate drop and sweeten the animations and I will continue to sub for a long time.

Thats right, me love you long time!

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 4:19PM Aganazer said

Ahhh... you're reminding of that wonderful day that I met my Thai wife in downtown Bangkok. :)

Little did she know that seven years later she would be crafting me a new shirt in the wasteland. Lately she has been obsessing over tradeskill material collection. Farming must be an Asian genetic trait or something.

I figure that if I could tolerate Asheron's Call graphics and animation then Fallen Earth will look great by comparison. There is just so much more to the long term enjoyment of a game beyond animations. Its surprising to see how shallow people can be when it comes to this sort of thing.

I played FE in beta and knew I liked it then, but wanted to give it a while to mature. I tried it again during the free trial and absolutely love it. In fact I love it so much that I am *not* going to subscribe.... yet. Its selfish but I don't want to spoil it while it is still rough around the edges. Ideally I wouldn't even play until they release S4, but I doubt I will hold out that long. I'll be glad if I make it to December.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:27PM swarmofcats said

@Aganizer

I don't think it's really shallow to not be able to deal with bad looking character models considering you're looking at them the -entire- time you play the game.

It's like uncanny valley or something and just makes me feel weird while playing the game. (I couldn't watch The Polar Express either.)

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 4:43PM (Unverified) said

Who the hell cares about the animations THAT much? All I ever hear is people complaining about walking and running animations, and if that is enough to turn you away from a great game, I feel sad for you. They may be lacking compared to other games, but I have played games so long that they really don't bother me at all.

This game is excellent, and the gameplay is top-notch, the shooting/combat works well (not just pointing at them to highlight for autoattack, but actually factoring in where the reticle is aiming!), and the crafting will have you searching through trash and chicken nests for every piece of crap you can find, even if you don't specialize in crafting. I like this more than every MMO I have played from Sierra's The Realm to present-day MMOs, and I usually game-hop too much to stick with any one game. This is the one to stick with.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

sounds like a good game, but don't underestimate the importance of animations, aka connecting to your avatar

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 11:31PM swarmofcats said

• 1 heart
@b8am

See my post above. Everything I've heard about this game sounds really good, but... yes, to me the characters and animations are -that- important. It's a deal breaker.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 9:13PM (Unverified) said

The thing that bugs me is that they put so much effort into the /dance animations, yet something as simple as strafing as you move looks hilariously awkward. But gameplay > graphics, so that's just something to bitch about, not something that would stop me from playing.

Posted: Oct 30th 2009 10:27AM Inspectah said

I played in the FE Beta as well and I felt that after a few levels all I would ever be doing was picking up trash and crafting it into other trashy things. I had fun dont get me wrong, but i felt that everything looked the same. I was hoping for some major trash city that had me like whoa! But i possibly did not make it to enough places to see that.

I would like to try again, but right now DDO is rocking me gently.

Posted: Nov 4th 2009 10:47AM (Unverified) said

I think this is as close as Pre-NGE as we're ever going to get. The developers definitely "get it". Everyone out there who wants to send SOE a message about destroying SWG needs to vote with their feet (and most importantly, their dollars) and get on board with this game. Yes, it's still a work in progress, but it's been a heck of a lot better than several AAA title launches in the last couple of years.

Posted: Nov 8th 2009 11:23PM (Unverified) said

not sure how much better u wanted the "jump" animations to be. you do realize that they are the way they are to keep twitch-style game play out of FE, right? so yes, when you jump there is a pseudo-float to it, but that is done to keep the twitch play out of the game. what's your suggestion to rectify that? the float must remain, so do you want your character waving and kicking his legs and arms on his way down or what?

i will admit that running sideways looks awkward, but i would probably look pretty awkward dressed in full armor packing 6 weapons trying to run sideways in real life anyway : P

personally i don't have a problem with it, and if you have a machine that meets the recommended specs, the graphics are fantastic and do not look outdated at all.

Posted: Nov 12th 2009 2:50AM (Unverified) said

FE was magical for me all the way until S2/early S3. Unfortunately, for me the magic ended completely there. In S2 you will throw away your crafted gear and wear amazingly superior faction gear from level 15+ until 45, when crafted finally catches up with it and provides a 2-3% edge. You will discover that whatever you specced prior to unlocking mutations, mutations will quickly become the linchpin of your build. Even with 0 AP spent in mutations, they are far, far more powerful than my first aid or armor use skills. I can literally take off everything except my chest, boots, and gloves, and cap out my armor with mutations. Additionally, mutations work exactly like magic spells, complete with mana and spell animations. There's nothing mutant-like about them at all.

I loved the game, and I'll check back in a few more months, but as soon as you cross the border from S1 to S2 it goes from Mad Max to Harry Potter.
| 1 | 2 |