Posted: Oct 27th 2009 8:24AM Gaugamela said

For that price i might consider getting the game. But i will wait for reviews from other players before purchasing it. No more blind buy of a game immediately after it is released.
By the way, could you guys do a review of it even though the MMO part is still so far away?

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 8:43AM Lethality said

Definitely... well worth the $20...
Although Steam won't let me in today for some reason...

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 8:48AM Mierk said

Pre-Ordered

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 8:53AM Grok said

The game will be officially released at 12 pm EST.

I'm really looking forward to playing this tonight after work!

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 9:10AM (Unverified) said

*wraps his arms around his legs and starts wobbleing "Nine more hours, nine more hours, nine more ours, EIGHT more hours, eight more hours..."

Sadly Steam isnt "done" loading the game, and it'l take about 8-9 hours to finish. Groawl!

((Yes, I'm buying it. and i'll play it, and, and, and, i'll lurve it!))

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 9:11AM Rollins said

Dungeon crawlers are almost never very fun single player. No multiplayer, no sale.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 10:03AM swarmofcats said

No multiplayer YET... but the multiplayer half of the game will still be out long before D3 so I'm gonna check it out in the meantime and see how it plays.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 11:40AM Macabre 13 said

Amen!

Looks fun, but only in a multiplayer setting. I'll wait 'til the game's actually finished to consider it.

Not a bad strategy to keep the cash flow going while they finish the game though, but just not for me.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 10:13AM Gemi said

I had completely forgotten this release, so thank you very much for the reminder. I'll be buying this now as I was just looking for another game to toss in a few extra hours now and then. This will most likely be nice to play while waiting for D3, and the fact that they give their dev tools to the players and are aiming for MMO later on will probably make it a very fun experience.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 1:47PM swarmofcats said

Lvl 7 so far and I'm loving it, even though I'm not too often interested in single player games. It reminds me very heavily of my first hours playing D2 and the playstyle seems very D3-like. =D

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 10:25AM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
Torchlight is no Diablo its just a clone like so many others. This co-designers where fired for a reason. Mythos never seen a release for a reason!

And there is no way this game will be better them Diablo III just for Battle.net alone !

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 10:26AM Stormwaltz said

I never cared for Diablo, so I'll pass. I hadn't heard it was going to have an MM component, though.

"...free fan-made content should be falling down from the heavens in no time flat."

Sturgeon's Law (and prior experience with NWN) suggests that 90% of the fan-made content will be bubbling up from hell.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 1:03PM Slob Zombie said

But 10% of it will be pretty awesome.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 10:47AM Tom in VA said

I will most probably be getting this game since it is relatively inexpensive.

However, it looks suspiciously Fate-like, and I did tire of Fate rather quickly. It's hard to imagine that randomly generated dungeons could be very fun or challenging when you consider the kind of thought, planning, and creativity that goes into the nonrandom, deliberately designed dungeons in other games.

Still, as I said, Torchlight is not that expensive. I'm curious to see the early reviews on it. I am also curious to see how well the MMO part is implemented once they get to that point.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 12:32PM (Unverified) said

It is also the same team that worked on fate. This is from the FAQs on the Torchlight website:

"Torchlight is an action role-playing-game for the PC made by the creators of Diablo, Fate, and the never-released Mythos among other games."

Not sure why it wasn't mentioned in the article.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 11:41AM Rollins said

It's just rather disappointing to me because I can't imagine it would've been that hard to add in simple cooperative multiplayer. They wouldn't have even needed closed servers.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 1:30PM Oneiromancer said

Pre-ordered. I don't care at all about lack of multiplayer. I played Diablo, Diablo 2, Darkstone, Nox, and Titan's Quest all single-player, and don't feel like I missed out on anything. I enjoy my MMOs but for a game like this, single player is fine by me.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 1:59PM (Unverified) said

I pre-ordered the game from Steam. I guess this is my reminder to install it.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 6:57PM (Unverified) said

I know this article is almost a day old, so most folks checking in on Massively are not likely to see it, but I have to comment on how blown away I am by this game. When I tried Mythos before Flagship's demise I enjoyed it, to an extent, but I just was not able to get absorbed by it. But, with Torchlight, I was drawn in from the start. From the graphics that harken to the golden age of Warcraft, as well as the playing machanics that take one back to early Diablo; and yes, I'm aware of the connections via the game's creators and development team to Blizzard, so the similarities are obvious. But, what I love here, is that the team went into this with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, there-by transfering into the game the elements of the best dungeon crawler games. Coupled with amazing spell and weapon effects, coloful characters, and a plot that is (Big Shock) acutally good, this should be a title that gets way more attention than it is. I understand that the Multiplayer aspect of it is a ways off, but I hope Massively still puts up some more info about it. If you're reading this, and you have yet to buy this game off Steam (the best and safest meathod) you should spend the 20 dollars. It is WELL worth the cost.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 7:37PM agitatedandroid said

Just want to chime in to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

The art style, the interface, the whole thing is just really nicely put together. Checking my journal I've played an hour already and the minutes have flown by.

Fun game, 20$. Just get it.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM