Posted: Oct 27th 2009 2:52AM (Unverified) said

The grinding is what keeps me away from Aion. I've had my share of mindless work over the years.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 4:52PM (Unverified) said

I have a problem with the entire concept of "grind" because it inherently implies that the only goal in the game is to level up; that leveling up is the only reward worth pursuing. One of the great things about MMOs is the variety of tasks that are generally available for the player to undertake, so why grind? Find something else to do....the devs shouldn't have to hold our hands to provide entertainment. That's what linear, single player games generally do.

So many people in the community complain that WoW is "too easy" (which I am not debating), yet when a game doesn't hand them levels on a platter, the community gets up in arms about "the grind"!

I'm playing Aion currently (and enjoying it a great deal) and I will gladly admit there is a grind, but I address this (for myself) in two ways:

1. The level I just gained MEANS something. My gear is more valuable because I'll be using it for longer and my new skills are more valuable to me because I had to WORK for them. If leveling up were easy, then your gear is disposable and your skills are meaningless because they will be replaced or upgraded shortly.
2. I'm out of quests and I don't want to "grind"? I find something else to do. My Chanter leveled by gather crafting mats (and by needing to fight sometimes to get them) and my Ranger leveld by actually doing crafting (I realize not all games award XP for crafting...I'm merely stating it as an example). I had experiences doing these things that I enjoyed and I never had to "grind"

Both of these responses are in how I address the game, not how the game addresses me. I think most (if not all) MMOs that I've played (and that's likely more than I can remember) have offered more for me to do than JUST to level up. The JOURNEY is just as, if not more, important than the destination.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 5:52PM (Unverified) said

I found that being unable to level was one of the biggest disappointments of hitting level 80. The reputation progress bars were a less than satisfactory replacement. Raid progression was fun for a while too... but now I find that I mostly run in circles around Dalaran.

Posted: Oct 28th 2009 3:49PM (Unverified) said

The thing is... it's unecessary to tie reward to grind. Sure, it makes sense that effort results in profit of some sort, but what about guile, skills, commitment, loyalty, honor? Those are either assets our outright "virtues" that most games fail to address and reward, making effort (grind) the only answer to progression and advancement.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2009 5:05PM (Unverified) said

I think the reason that borderlands does the grind so well is that it's constant. It usually dosen't take that long to level up, and the enemies are constantly dropping guns and sheilds. But what I find interesting is that the game is more fun with other people. I have two characters, a lvl 24 siren and lvl 37 soldier. The siren is my solo character, while my soldier is my co-op character that I play with my roommate. I have more fun playing with him then by myself.

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays