Posted: Oct 26th 2009 2:42PM Wisdomandlore said

A lot of these changes (like mounts being skills, not items) have been a long time coming. Other games did this long ago. The Skirmish system, though, sounds pretty innovative, and should provide some much needed content for all players across the board.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 11:14PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Everything listed was done by other games already, semi random patrols, folks being thrown in jail or captured, semi scalable dungeons (No MMO in the last ten years to date has a truly scalable dungeon) and semi random npc mechanics.

They (LOTR) are giving it that old college try and stay afloat until the lackwits in charge finish "their version of the story". I see this ending badly and poor frodo is going to get squished against the employees leaving before he can dump that ring.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 11:20PM JaySpeed said

Not sure what you mean by their version of the story. We are participating in the War of the Ring. We aren't holding Frodo's hand as he wanders into Mordor.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 11:43PM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
Not enough Lord of the Rings in this game, too much other story, which isn't particularly fun as it's very underwhelming.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 11:54AM JaySpeed said

I completely disagree with you. The main story in LOTRO is what sets is apart from other MMO's like WoW, AoC, Aion, etc. The main story line is hardly underwhelming. I've completed volume 1 and up to volume 2.8. I can tell you that both stories are excellent. Look for book 2.9 to be the best storyline we've seen in the game yet. That's saying alot because I thought 1.15 was a great climax to volume 1. I'm going to assume you haven't done all the epic book quests or you just have a different opinion on a good story but this game has a great story especially since most MMO's have pathetic story lines.

I'm not sure what you mean by not enough LOTR in the game. We get to explore most of Eriador and some of Rhovanion. We'll get to explore Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, Harad, etc in the coming years once they are added to the game. We get to interact with the main characters from the books and even go on some quests with them. We are part of the War of the Ring, which is the main story line from the LOTR books. If you want to play as Frodo or Aragorn, I suggest you try a LOTR single player game.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 5:49AM (Unverified) said

There's no pleasing some people...
Sure, we have seen some of these additions in other games. So what? It's a good thing that LOTRO is expanding its content. It is already the most complete and elaborate MMO out there, by far, and with the inclusion of additional content it will grow even further.

Amazing changes as far as I'm concerned.
I can't wait to see what SoM has to offer.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 8:22AM (Unverified) said

I had to check the url, I thought I was in mmorpg forums for a second there after reading some of the comments.

Not sure where the anger and bad information is coming from but some of you need to gather more facts before you make a post.

The changes look great and bring lots of new content to LOTRO.

Posted: Oct 27th 2009 4:53PM (Unverified) said

I have to agree with most here, overall good stuff. I'm quite happy following the other storylines in the LOTR written world and not carrying Frodo's bags...

And yes, the technology might not be new to MMOs but I'm quite happy it has made its way to Middle-Earth.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM