Posted: Oct 24th 2009 9:00AM (Unverified) said

I think just having at least one of my friends online and available when I get home is great.

That, and knowing I have something to look forward to when I get home pretty much gets me through the day

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 9:22AM Jesspiper said

How can sitting in front of the fire at the Prancing Pony with a cup of Old Stars Cider in your hand ever NOT bolster your spirits? :)

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 9:47AM (Unverified) said

Just yesterday, I was playing Fallen Earth. In FE, your horse is forever part of the game world. Once crafted, it can't be despawned. Up until yesterday, that has never been too much of an issue. I had a quest to kill thugs so I rode to the middle of a group of them. As soon as I dismount, I hear several battle cries, look up to see thugs running at me from all directions. Although they were 3 levels lower than me, from experience I knew facing multiple opponents means facing death. So, on foot, I hoofed it out of there. I made it with only a sliver of health left. Up until this point, I would fight back to my mount so I started my incursion. That is when off on the horizon, I see the crumpled body of my horse! NOOOO!!! I did not know that mobs kill mounts until that point. It gets worse..mounts in FE carry inventory so I had to get back there. It took over an hour of surgical strikes to get close enough to my horse to cast heal..as I did..nothing happens. I look at chat to see, "Missing Reagent". DOH! After a run to the bank and another hour of getting back to my horse, casting heal for 40 points, mounting and high-tailing it to the nearest city, I found myself laughing and realizing that was the best mission I had ever ran.

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Did you know before hand that horses could be injured/killed? I think that would be best described as a great time since you may not have known about the mounts entirely and when you did, fighting back only to find out your missing a component. I think that feeling of knowing you lost something that is very useful to you and are willing to whatever it takes to get it back makes it worthwhile in the end.

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 10:29AM elocke said

I think for me it has happened more often in WoW. However, I remember vividly FFXI and the release of Chains of Promathia. Running the Spires just to get into the expansion zones was extremely hard. But once accomplished, WOW. It felt incredible. I think we did all 3 Promyvions in one night, very long night, but well worth it in the end.

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 10:50AM (Unverified) said

Knowing that when I get home gaming with friends is all I need to give me a push through the day, especially when we are raiding a dungeon or just fighting each other in the arena.

Posted: Oct 24th 2009 6:09PM mysecretid said

Lord of the Rings Online

About two years ago, I came down with a "mystery illness" which laid me out, and kept me housebound. I was very, very sick, and some days I could barely get out of bed.

Partway through the series of tests and tests and more tests, the doctor's began to believe I have an extremely rare form of stomach/colon cancer -- a type of cancer which was absolutely fatal.

I felt very trapped by my circumstances, and the fact that I basically couldn't leave the house made it all worse.

But LotRO helped so much -- I was typically too sick to group or adventure, but I would ofen log on just to enjoy the scenery and wander around the digital wilderness. The environments are so beautiful, and so "true" to certain kinds of RL wilderness, that I could walk around and feel as if I'd escaped my "prison" to actually go outside -- swim in a lake under moonlight, and all sorts of reassuring things.

As it turns out, my doctors' initial diagnosis was wrong. I do not have cancer, and I am not dying. In fact, nowadays, I'm getting better (slowly) all the time.

But LotRO gave me somewhere to go where I could forget my troubles when I was at my lowest point. Bolstered my spirits, indeed!

Posted: Oct 25th 2009 12:40AM (Unverified) said

Bolstering my spirits? Consecutively dodging 1-hit kills sniper-shots from thirty plus enemy players within 3 seconds, while playing the 'Gatez2' mod in Subspace Continuum.

Also - being made a GM in Land of Destiny.

Also - reading forums/chat in any game that has plausibly-interesting game-mechanics. My favorite moments are the times when playing turn-based games, where I sacrifice some of my control over the game in order to give me an advantage "if my opponent follows X strategy", and it works. I actually stop playing games that do not have these "planning" factors involved. In fact, I like planning so much, as well as high-APM (actions per minute) games, that I should probably go play at my local Smash Bros. club (SSBM, evidently), as I've never visited before.

I think my favorite thing to see is when somebody quotes me.

Posted: Nov 11th 2009 11:23AM (Unverified) said

i remember getting on DDO on one of the first days it was ever realeased 2007 and crawling through a dungeon solo. something popped around a corner and i jumped out of my seat and almost Sh!t my pants it and then i ran out of there like a bat of hell....... never found out what that thing was but i laughed histaricly at myself after the fact

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story