Posted: Oct 23rd 2009 7:05AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Tateru,

You're such an extremist!

Of course it has an effect. Those who register and label their bots, say, their model bots for their stores, and thereby take them out of the traffic count, which is the plan, have totally increased their estimation in the eyes of customers, and prospective shoppers. It increases consumer confidence in the traffic metric, which is a good thing when merited. So it's all good.

I guess you've never studied how crime control programs or post-conflict programs work. Amazingly, people *do* bring in their arms, especially if there's an incentive -- in conflict zones, even of the worst sort, when they have a disarmament and demobilization effort, people comply, not everybody, but enough to start to restore civilization. Same in big cities, where you can turn in guns and avoid prosecution then.

Here, it's an instant reputation boost as everyone hates bots that defraud traffic.

You make it sound as if the execution of the removal of traffic is some pie-in-the-sky never-do thing. But it is in the plan and I think it will be done fairly quickly. I think the Lindens want to see if all those fakers on the Concierge list who claim their models were vital for showing garments and didn't intend to boost traffic are really telling the truth. Then they'll act.

Why all the faux mystery about the timing, Tateru?! The timing *goes with* the call to register the third-party viewers, as the phenomena is *all of a piece*. it would be silly to crack down on third-party copying viewers and leave copybots of the old sort still a free rein.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2009 10:53AM (Unverified) said

I've been following the Linden lab Blog thread - and I had asked "what if..." I set my 'normal' account to this "scripted agent status".

I haven't seen a reply from any Surname Linden as of yet. But I have seen some interesting replies from other users, such as: "someone sending all their bots to a competitor's place to 'clog the system' and cause lag, all while not boosting their traffic." (paraphrased of course.)

So there's one way this system could be abused. Of course, based on the whole statement you mention above regarding "Second Life Resources" an Abuse Report could be filed. But if all those bot accounts are created by some anonymous user on a Basic Account, and whom has not submitted their real email address (or any other legitimate information) in the creation of the account... it becomes moot.

There is no one to discipline, save suspending or banning that (and all the other) bot account. This creates huge work for Linden lab, so those AR will likely go inactive and stall.

The issue comes down to traffic, period. Traffic is a good metric, true. But there are many, many "traffic counters" anyone can buy in-world. I use a "greeter" object that counts my traffic and I certainly don't rely on the system "traffic" data.

I personally wish "traffic" as counted by Linden lab would just die. A better "traffic" number would be "current count of agents on parcel" - but then we are talking a lot of resources and network traffic slogging the system, slowing things down.

It's a lose-lose situation the way I see it.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 6:12PM (Unverified) said

Thank you for the article however while the metaphor about firearms no doubt works well in the United States it really doesn't in the UK where I live. Quite what the situation is in the rest of the world, I can't be sure, but I suspect that the vast majority of countries place great restrictions on the ownership of firearms.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 7:47PM (Unverified) said

Extensive gun control is the norm where I am also. It's hard to come up with a universal metaphor.

Posted: Oct 30th 2009 12:25PM (Unverified) said

I don't know why Prok's entry is faded out and so hard to read, but he has a point — shop owners might be able to claim some respectability back by pointing out that their mannequin bots are really bots. At least, as soon as the bot status shows up on the profiles, too — something that LL apparently has not excluded, but hasn't implemented yet, and given no timeline to include.

Oh, btw, apparently the Third Party Viewer registry is to be used for bot applications as well.

Posted: Oct 30th 2009 6:54PM (Unverified) said

It's a comment-voting system. After careful consideration, it was decided that people should be allowed to have a "no" vote as well as a "yes" vote. We've been told how important it is to have the ability for people to vote no as well as yes. It takes a lot of no-votes to start the text fading out, but it can still be easily read by highlighting the text.

My own point is that none of this is available now, so there's apparently nothing to gain by flagging an account, until those other features are finished. There's no bonus to respectability, it doesn't affect traffic or search, etc. So, why hustle the flagging out the door, before any of the rest of it is ready for testing?

Posted: Oct 30th 2009 8:51PM (Unverified) said

Yes, good point. It sounds like a rather pointless measure, doesn't it?

Choose My Adventure: Firefall as it stands