Posted: Oct 21st 2009 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Could be obsessive compulsive disorder too.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 3:07PM HalfGamer said

I've had my own experiences with game addiction (though not to as drastic a degree), and I agree completely with him. It was never about the game, it was about retreating from realtiy and the problems I was experiencing in my life. It could just as easily have been alcohol, drugs, sex, anything. My escape method just happened to be a video game.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 2:12PM TheJackman said

Sometimes its better to run from your problems, hiding away in a virtual fantasy world instead of of facing the issues and find out the cold hard true that there is no easy way to deal with them and that you will end up unhappy no matter what you do and hurting the person you try to make a life with.... its better to hide in a virtual world where you matter and people care about you them life in the real world where you life is in the middle of no where(San Juan, Argentina) Almost no money, A freelance job that not even pays the money to pay the bills that you are about to loss like some hacker just crash all the sites you did over the pass 5 years and it will take you months to get them all running again, no friends or any kind of life, 1000s of KMs away from your born place (Nijmegen, The Netherlands). No one to talk to but your wife that got most stuff end in one discussion... And she all the time remember you how much better her life will be when she not was with you...... No where to go at all! No way of turning to your family like they pretty much hate you all..... Please tell me how this can ever end well for me....

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 2:26PM atmablue said

Here is the TL;DR version for those who don't feel like dealing with the wall of text:

1. Guy had job, car, and GF
2. Guy loses GF and picks up EQ instead
3. Guy gets fired and loses car but HOLY CRAP ANCIENT CYCLOPS IS UP
4. GF comes back and is like "oh hei, you want sexy time?" and the guy is like "STFU LVL 40 HOOOOOOO"
5. GF dumps him again
6. Guy moves back in with his parents who are like "who the hell are you?"
7. Guy quits EQ and gets the girl back, BUT AT WHAT COST?

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 5:08PM mysecretid said

@Andy G.

Your "short version" is the equivalent of saying the Star Wars trilogy was about "a farm kid who left home to fly a spaceship", or saying the Lord of the Rings was about "some short guys who needed to throw out some old jewelry".

You got the basic outline, but you entirely missed the point.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 4:51PM (Unverified) said

He is just a guy that doesnt have a self-control.
Yeah, there are "seasons" that I play non-stop, but after a week or to I'm saying to my self: "halt!", and I'm doing it.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Whine whine whine. Less QQ more PEW PEW both ingame and IRL. Nail your GF WHILE grinding in an mmo, women want a man that is confident AND pays attention to them.

I play hard and work hard. In game and out.

You sound like an emo brat, I'd dump you too.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 8:39PM (Unverified) said

FAKE FAKE FAKE

Fake.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2009 1:35AM (Unverified) said

As a supplement, check out this awesome read on the state of discourse and research about game addiction: