Posted: Oct 18th 2009 11:10AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
This is one game I wish I had never bought. I got the collectors edition and only played the first 5 days. Got an email yesterday about my subscription running out, which I will not renew.

This has one of the worst pve grinds I have ever played. Everything is extremely overpriced in the game and the only way to get money is to.... grind....

What a waste of money :(

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 12:55PM engrey said

I think Keen on Keenandgrave.com said a good thing about Aion. It todays MMO game we are all about go! Start to finish in the fastest time possible, not time it taken in the journey.

Yes the game is a "grind" but that is what makes it good, you have to put in more time for litter gain then you are use to in other MMOs. This might seem tedious but what would you do at level 50?

It is not always about the end-game anymore, people are in a hurry and can not sit back and enjoy the experience.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:22PM (Unverified) said

Grinding hardly makes a game good. Grinding means that there isn't enough content put in to keep a person objectively busy. There is nothing wrong with questing. It gives you an objective. Sure, killing 10 bears, or gathering 20 dragon teeth is pretty much grinding as well, but it's an objective. One you want to work at completing.

And Aion is pretty much ONLY about end-game. PvP before 50 is pretty much a joke for anyone thats not a sorc (or cleric in 1v1). Everyone that isn't 50 yet is at the mercy OF the current 50s, because the only place to get worthwhile exp and items is the Abyss.

Sorry, but I'm with Dant. I'm all about taking a month or two of constant playing to get to max level, but not when you have to sit in one area for 8 hours a day killing the same mob over and over.

While dealing with the sorcerer that just rooted and nuked you ass every 10 minutes.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 12:42PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Halloween inspired quest...very original.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 12:50PM (Unverified) said

Like every other game doesn't do Halloween inspired quests also. It may not be original but atleast its something new to mess around with.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:46PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Did any other game besides WoW have Halloween inspired quest in October? I never played Everquest so I'm not sure.

I remember that UO had those orc mask but that wasn't a seasonal drop.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 2:31PM (Unverified) said

Yes, Guild Wars also has Halloween-themed events each year.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:39PM (Unverified) said

Getting kind of sick of fantasy worlds mirroring our own holidays. Give us a holiday when we have none irl. Get... what's the word? Creative?

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:41PM (Unverified) said

This is a game that I was not really prepared to like. The hype turned me off, NCsoft essentially dumping GW turned me off, and the fact that it is primarily PvP really turned me off.

However, I am absolutely LOVING the game. The attention to detail is amazing. I wander around finding little easter eggs everywhere...like little squirrels that smack flies out of the air and stomp on them, dinosaurs in the oddest spots, NPCs 'hiding' behind rocks, beautiful armour, really nice story lines, fun skills with great animations, I could go on and on.

Yes, the xp amounts are rather daunting as you go up in levels. But I find myself a bunch of friends and play and laugh together and we end up forcing ourselves to quit for the night waaaay past any of our bedtimes.

I would say the trick is to find yourself an excellent Legion (Guild or Kin) and make some friends and just enjoy the experience. It is a VERY fun, well thought out game. I am very pleasantly surprised....

Yes, I will play MMOs, and yes, I am eager to see what other games are around the corner, but I can see myself playing Aion for a very long time.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:49PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
like for boss day...they should of given us a new end-game boss!

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 1:59PM Keen and Graev said

FANTASTIC news! :D I'm very happy to see a Halloween event. Aion is turning out to be a fantastic game.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 3:16PM Wensbane said

Some server issues may have been resolved, but constant crashing in "Mass PvP" has not. It's a little bit too soon to be celebrating, I think.

Until NCSoft actually does something about it - and I've been told the only fix would be to compile a 64bit version, which I'm pretty sure they will NEVER do - Aion will remain in my "currently unplayable" list.

Sure, crashing every 2 minutes whenever you attack a fortress - the single most important endgame feature in this game - may be nothing but a minor setback for some, but to me, it warrants an immediate uninstall.
It's Warhammer Online all over again, except Aion has actually been out for a while now. There is no excuse for this.

I apologize if I sound a little harsh, but harsh words are needed when such a critical issue presents itself.

*waits quietly for the negative votes*

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 7:47PM Mr Angry said

Shift+F12 and turn down resolution fixed this for me, give it a shot.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 9:57PM Wensbane said

Shift+F12 helps with Framerate issues, but it doesn't prevent CrySystem.dll crashes.

There's a 37 (!) page thread over at AionSource's Technical Support Forum that explains exactly what causes these crashes.
A big part of the problem is that aion.bin is a 32-bit process, so unless NCSoft decides to compile a 64-bit version, this will continue to happen, and this game will suffer greatly as more and more people enter the Abyss.

Quite frankly, I don't think NCSoft has the guts/competence to do what needs to be done to completely fix this problem, so I think we will just end up with another WAR on our hands.

I have some good news though, supposedly SW:TOR will release with both 32 and 64-bit versions. Something tells me that game will run smoother and crash far less often than any other MMO on the market...

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 4:56PM Valdur said

Aion is a good game and I'm having fun playing it with my legion.

Posted: Oct 19th 2009 2:39AM (Unverified) said

Great now I really want to play Aion. Unfortunately whenever I go to buy it, whether on Steam or the main site they tell me they won't let me buy it because of my location.

Nice going guys.

Posted: Oct 19th 2009 7:09AM (Unverified) said

Where do you live Plastic Rat? Have you tried Direct2Drive? They do both European and US versions there.

About Aion: I've always been a 'grind hater' and looked down on games that are heavily grind reliant. But I'm honestly loving it in Aion. There's people in general chat moaning about having no quests for their levels left, but my girlfriend and I are frequently finding that we've got a bunch of lower level quests we need to clean up. We often go somewhere to do a quest and end up just hanging around there slaughtering everything for ages after we've met the objective.

Now we're high enough to go to the Abyss, there's going to be lots of instance runs and PvP to enjoy too.

It does seem a huge money sink, but we've contributed 300,000 each to getting our legion to level 3 and we still have enough for our skills, crafting etc.

I dunno. I hate grinding, but I love grinding in Aion.

Posted: Oct 19th 2009 10:24PM (Unverified) said

I live in Taiwan and I've tried Direct2Drive. Won't let me. I understand Aion has Asian servers I could probably be using, but that helps me stuff all since I can't read any Asian languages.

I just wish the world could move on and get past this region locking bullshit.

Posted: Oct 29th 2009 6:24PM (Unverified) said

I have no idea how people run out of quests in Aion. They are clearly skipping over entire quest hubs, in my opinion. I've had legion members whine about it and then say something like, "umm, remember that quest that sent you to So-and-so? Did you happen to actually look around for quests there? Thought not! Carry on!" In the abyss alone there are piles of quests, but if you just wanted to focus PVE there're more than enough there too.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014