Posted: Oct 16th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
oh nice they learned the value of Tenacity from WoW. Good for them!

Its actually pretty ironic if you think about it. One of the lead guys workin on Warhammer during its development said that he was "flattered" that WoW was stealing ideas from Warhammer on pvp, (when WoW created Wintergrasp, which was in development way before warhammer showed what they could have stole) and now Warhammer is finally learning about Tenacity-type mechanics. (I don't think wow created that themselves, someone else probably did but still)

Just a funny little irony. But still good for them.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 1:25PM (Unverified) said

Well seeing as how I expected a bunch of angry responses from War-lovers and the other comments so far are talking about the failures, I'll just say that I don't care that much if its good for them. Its funny about that irony, but I don't care much for War.

I do hope they stay alive enough so that the people who worked hard at the development team for so long have jobs and don't get laid off. Thats as far as it goes. Let them keep their jobs for the hard work they put in. Maybe one day WAR will learn to listen and fix those problems in the comments below, maybe not. Even if they do it may be too late. You know what they say, if an MMO doesn't get it right the first time, it may never get a chance again, even if its fixed.

I bet if WOW had a single or even just 2 starting areas, and only so much content and things to do in the beginning, and it took them a year to try to fix anything, WoW wouldn't be the giant it is. Even if the end result 5 years later was still what it is now. The big first impression is sometimes everything.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 1:49PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
I agree!

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 11:29AM Innocentte said

What startles me is how much Mythic has *failed* to learn about long-term MMO viability as it relates to new-player and alt-player experience. The best MMO's at player retention, WoW and EQ1 have always had multiple, diverse starting towns for the level 1-20 experience (yes, I know about EQ1's newb caves). And from there, on to multiple progression zones, and zones for specific Races and Factions.

Late, they learned this lesson in EQ2, which also now sports Race and Faction zones with multiple starting towns (up from the pitiful two they had at launch).

Games like DAoC, WAR, and so forth are taking a BIG step backwards by distilling down their new-player/alt-player experience to a SINGLE location. What does that leave these players after they have capped? The same-old all over again? Does not work, in my experience.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 1:45PM Kyoji said

• 1 heart
The other starting areas still exist and can still be accessed, they are just funneling everyone into the same starter area so that pop isn't as spread out. Regardless of whether this was a good idea or not, they are not "distilling down their new-player/alt-player experience to a SINGLE location" as youc an still play the elf or dwarf zones if you so please.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 11:55AM (Unverified) said

I really really wanted to love this game. After sticking with it for 1 year, I unsubbed last week. I was in beta and I showed up on all the PTS tests to take part in helping improve this title. But at the end of the day it wasn't fun anymore... you get to the opposing capital after months of fighting and then week after week, guess what, the capital city is bugged. You can't win. Do they hotfix it? No.

Warhammer has alot going for it and one of the most talked about was the fact that the T1 experience was a ton of fun. Now they are changing T1. Why? To try and hook more players? Excuse me, but it seems like they are off again down the wrong rabbit hole.

Mythic I left your game because the factions and classes are horribly balanced and bugged to high heaven. Until you fix that you are going to continue to lose players. Even diehard players.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 1:32PM (Unverified) said

I resubbed last night to check out the new patch because I've heard that it is a dramatic increase in framerate and holy crap, they weren't lying! I was in a keep siege that had 90ish destruction attacking and we had at least 2-3 warbands defending and I was doing a solid 20-30FPS. Yes, its not perfect, but compared to 2 months ago when I played that kind of siege would of been 10-20FPS, and I don't even wanna talk about running up a ramp in a keep only to go down to 4FPS and die. (Now they have 8-lane highways going up to the lords room!)

I'm defiantly going to keep playing and recheck everything out for me. Aion to me was a horrible grindfest and just wasn't fun. Lots of people in my guild enjoy it, but a lot of us can't stand the grind and were looking to try out war again to get our fill of killing people. It's finally nice to see Mythic listening to there customers, performance was a huge issue with many of us, and so was CC, and there on the right road to fixing both.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 1:34PM (Unverified) said

I actually liked a lot about Warhammer... the starting experience and such. I never made it to max level or end game. It was what allowed me to see that there was more out there besides WoW. Ultimately, I unsubbed from both games.

I like what I'm seeing about the changes they're making to the game. The temptation to reactivate my account is increasing. I'm trying out DDO right now but after that, WAR may be the fantasy genre MMO I turn to.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 2:02PM Crsh said

They're still not clearly addressing the 5 key issues they identified several months ago; these band-aid patches don't help.

They're starting to remind me of AoC prior to Godager's resignation.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 4:24PM (Unverified) said

As a side note, the letter to the community reads as though they are changing the starter quests in the other zones. So even if you do make the run to a warcamp as a lowbie and fly to your old starter zone (not exactly easy) the quests may be different/changed. I don't consider that "still being able to play (those zones).. if you so please".

The end result, either way, is that they are diluting the content in T1 which is the most well designed part of their game.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 4:53PM (Unverified) said

To me, this says that they could care less about the work and effort that went into these zones and just want to funnel everyone past them. When a company has reached that point in a products life-cycle, it doesn't bode well.

Posted: Oct 16th 2009 5:20PM DodgyWop said

Maybe I will re-sub......

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 1:06PM (Unverified) said

The patch has improved the intensity of fights on the tiers I have been playing on (1 and 2). People seem to want to defend a lot harder now and the rewards make it worth staying and defending. I noticed a lot more xp and renown points coming up for me but it could just be I never noticed it before.

The one bad thing that has happened that I have noticed is that Pheonix Throne seems to be virtually dead in the lower tiers due to people actually apprenticing up and not coming back. So for somone like me who has several tier one and twos and no guild that will respond to requests to be apprenticed up its kind of a bad situation. So I will probably just be playing on Gorfang for the time being until they can look at doing something about that servers population.

There is also a bug that has popped up in sc's that will actually freeze everyone until they are killed. It is a bug that could be exploited in a capture the flag type of game easily so they will have to look into that pretty quickly but they have been good about the bug stomping recently so I got no real worries.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 11:42PM GenericPerson said

After reading the 1.3.2 patch notes my friend and I opted to re-sub. I hadn't played the game in probably 7-8 months and remember they had their work cut out for them in multiple aspects of the game. This patch was sort of the launching point for both of us, got our interests peaked. So far we're both playing on Gorfang and enjoying the new experience.

Would love to hear from anyone play Order. I'll be playing as Thavier if you ever need a KotBS.