Posted: Oct 22nd 2009 6:08PM (Unverified) said

"...the about the potions, weapons, wands, and *permanent* stat boosts you can currently buy from the store..."

Most of these things are completely useless by the time end game is reached, even by the mid levels. By the time your character is lvl 3, they should have better weapons than what's for sale in the store. Permanent stat boost tomes are also easily lootable in-game, the store is just a short cut for the lazy...

The exception is the mana restore potions. I agree, I wish they'd take those out of the store. At least they are also pretty plentiful in-game, however...

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 8:19AM (Unverified) said

The business model change has at least brought more people by to check things out, and apparently there are a good many sticking around spending money based on Turbine's latest statements. Could even give an older game a whole new second wind.

So the question becomes:
Which other games would benefit from this business model, and how many more are going to adopt this in the future?

I am voting for PotBS to go this route...

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 10:53AM (Unverified) said

DDO rocked before and it really rocks now. I'm really pleased to see the game doing so well, I've subbed before but stopped a few months ago, and will surely return now that they've had a population explosion.

It always amazes me how people go on and on about games lacking "balance," etc etc.

A wizard should *not* be able to solo and just waltz (or even crawl) through dungeons without someone to keep the baddies from ripping his sexy little robe - and the sappy little caster inside it - to shreds. There is a reason a guy plays a big brute of a character with a high strength, constitution, and hit points, as opposed to not.

I guess in games requiring high intelligence scores because of puzzle solving and or other challenges requiring the character to have high intellectual fortitude (not that there are many), guys would go around complaining since they made a dumb jock fighter and decided to play him as a character: "It's lame! This game's so unbalanced! wahh!"

It's akin to a guy with a combat specified character complaining because he can't craft top tier items with said character. Healers and casters complaining that they can't solo.

Pve and ESPECIALLY pvp, people expect all classes to be on equal footing, why I don't know, but they do, in game after game. If your job is healing, then why on EARTH should you be anywhere near equal in ability to the guy who's job it is to fight? Makes no sense. He can't heal or cast for squat, you shouldn't be able to fight for squat.

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 12:43PM Pingles said

I joined when it went F2P. I enjoyed the gameplay but was depressed at how much of the game was instanced.

I miss the games where you would be hunting in cave, dungeon or even ZONE and run across another person.

Nowadays it seems like games instance every little game element.

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 7:16PM (Unverified) said

DDO represents a revolution in MMO's, combining the best parts of Guild Wars and a traditional MMO. You get the sense of ownership that you get with a non-subscription game, with the new content (Via the optional payments system) of an MMO.

DDO has a bright future.

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 5:22PM (Unverified) said

NWN - STILL on Amazon.com top 25 best selling PC games.
NWN = DnD with real DMs and player created content.

DnD Online - different concept...I have a feeling they are making money with the new model...one of which I approve of and think is a great idea.

Still, they had a chance to be a lot more and be the Dungeon and Dragons game that it should of been instead of another WoW knockoff. I think they would be making a lot more money with player created content and servers - especially if they charged for player run servers and content.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 4:39AM wjowski said

• 1 heart
Turbine has shown, through the DDO store, that they don't two shits about the game or it's long-term health outside of how much money they can wring out of a gullible playerbase. Quite frankly if this is the future of MMOs, as so many are hailing it as, you can count me out of it.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 11:24AM (Unverified) said

Of course the other argument item shops are people like ....

Nah, that would be a cheap shot. You can't let a single.. pyscho ? :)) represent a community. Especially such a mature and obviously hard person.

Best of luck to it, but will be genuinly intersting to see how things stand in 6 months to a years time when it's been picked through a bit more thoroughly.

Until then enoughs been said on the subject really I think, at least by me.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 6:17AM Eighty said

good riddance Wjowski - frankly we dont want you anyway.

I wasnt interested in the game till i tried f2p. did a week of f2p and dropped the cash to become VIP for 3 months - was worth every penny. f2p was fun but having tried every low level adventure pack i gotta say what a lot of fun!! im glad i didnt buy them all individually.

having said that one in particular Delera's Tomb is the best crypt style dungeon i have ever seen. they use a similar tile set as the other 'necro' dungeons yet still manage to make every room we ventured in a different eerie experience. Couple that with cool traps and puzzles (that i cant figure out! thank god for a friend thats a puzzle genius) and you have great experience.

as for the shop 'ruining' the game. what a bunch of bull. if you dont like or dont want dont buy. this doesnt mean you get to complain about not getting it when someone else DOES buy - if your upset spend the money. otherwise gtfo.

Posted: Oct 18th 2009 4:46PM Gaugamela said

Well, i think that everyone has to agree that this move was great for them in one aspect: it brought a lot of attention to the game!
Do you guys remember the last time before the announcement of DDO going f2p that its news on Massively got 28 comments?

Posted: Oct 19th 2009 9:07AM (Unverified) said

I've been playing this game exclusively for 3 years now.
So yeah I'm biased...

Just wanted to point out that the BS they currently offer in the shop is not the top tier stuff... therefore if you want the best stuff... you gotta grind it out, just like any other MMO.

Posted: Oct 20th 2009 11:56AM RetPallyJil said

I gave it a try when it went free,but guess what?

Even free can't fix it being set in Eberron, the bargain-basement game world of D&D.

Even free can't make me play DDO.

Posted: Oct 26th 2009 4:41AM SkuzBukit said

I think that the way DDO is constructed as a totally instanced game lends itself perfectly to the F2P model Turbine use, by being constructed in this "lego-block" type way it makes the game easy to split up into core & adventure pack content.

A game which was constructed like Vanguard, aiming to be instance-less, for example would struggle to do the same things DDO does unless it used a less obvious way to cordon off areas, by way of specific boats, elevators, keyed dungeons, etc to take you there, or by way of mobs with quests you could see a summary of but not take until the requisite unlock was purchased.

I'm really glad Turbine switched to this model though, I've really enjoyed my time in DDO so far & once my finances can support it I intend to subscribe, buying a few chunks here & there is still rewarding though, the catacombs was worth it's cost.

It's good to see the game garner a new crowd though & hopefully Turbine inject a good chunk of the money they are now making & invest in bringing the game to an even wider audience, expanding the content, adding features & functionality, and implimenting much more of the D&D classes & races (Orc Berserker for the win).