Posted: Oct 12th 2009 5:10PM Tom in VA said

A good list of things to love about this game. The difficulty is finding only Five Great Features in Guild Wars, since there are so many others...

-- The Level 20 Cap
-- The Elite Skill Capture System
-- The option to use Heroes/henchmen
-- Great primary stories and quest design
-- Gorgeous World
-- The 8-Skill bar
-- Dual Classing

Sigh... I really do like this game. I was very sad to see it go into "retirement mode." :)

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 9:46AM (Unverified) said

I couldn't agree about elite skill capturing and the 8 skill bar more.

For anyone that doesn't know, you don't 'train' elite skills in GW. You actually have to venture out in the world, find a boss or 'elite' that uses that skill, defeat him and learn his skill. In my opinion, this is by far more fun than dinging 80, walking up to a trainer and clicking the "learn" button a few times. I actually think pretty much every skill should be acquired in this way.

5 years and 2 xpacs have introduced quite a few spells/abilities for players in WoW, and many players struggle with not only remembering and using all their abilities appropriately, but laying out the UI so as not to have ability buttons cluttering the screen. GW makes you choose 8 abilities at a time, vastly simplifying both the mechanics of the game as as well as the UI.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 5:47PM (Unverified) said

If Guild Wars 2 can capture even half the things Guild Wars did well while giving us new options and experiences it will be a fantastic game.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 6:22PM Jesspiper said

I love Guild Wars, but I must admit, I'm not a fan of the instanced worlds. Otherwise I hope GW2 maintains the GW legacy of said features.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 6:34PM Ayonyx said

I was actually commenting with a friend about how I would have loved to see NCSoft use a similar system to Guild Wars with a single server (in regards to Aion).

However, I have a feeling that Guild Wars 2 will deviate as well from the original server system that was present in the original game. A recent article talking about PvP in Guild Wars 2 talked about server vs. server combat.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 9:13PM (Unverified) said

From what I understand, it's going to be the same as switching districts in the cities, but instead of it just being that city, it will be the whole world. (At least you'd think it would make sense to make it this way)

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 7:04PM (Unverified) said

While all these features are good, they contribute to the reason as to why I don't consider guild wars an MMO.
You only ever "play" with 8 people at once. Sure, you see loads in the lobby, but when it comes to actually playing, it isn't "massive" at all. In that type of game, I prefer Neverwinter Nights.

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 5:14PM (Unverified) said

TBH When playing WoW, questing or doing dailies I rarely see other players out in the open, (as in not in cities or outposts). I have the potential to see tons of players but I rarely do.

Only time I ever see 4+ players in WoW are in heroics and raids.
And yes I know you made no link to WoW, and I'm not saying that GW is an MMO and just saying...

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 7:07PM Minofan said

I heart Guild Wars!
Here's hoping GW2 is more of the same.

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 1:43PM Yapper said

It is my hope that Guild Wars 2 keeps every feature you listed above. I feel that Guild Wars is what other MMOs should be.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 8:56PM m0r1arty said

That's me in the middle!

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 3:40AM (Unverified) said

I can't see that the second point is true and the business model is followed widely. The GW business model is an anomaly which works fine for GW but wouldn't work, at least not at the sole business model, for most other virtual worlds. Other than that I agree with this list.

For me, apart from the patching process, the ability to switch languages in-game with only a keystroke is one of the most awesome GW features, particularly so if you're a non-English native speaker. Never seen that in another VW so far...

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 8:06AM suicideking89 said

Final Fantasy 14 had a similar feature that allowed you to select the Japanese translation for a word when speaking to someone using the Japanese client. The flip-side to this was you had to have heard the word used in a sentence before, such as Joyeuse ( a rare sword that would sometimes attack multiple times on one swing). That was a great feature that made talking to the Japanese a lot easier when grouping for parties.

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 10:02AM (Unverified) said

Gief dwarf chars and chars that can jump and im sold!

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 11:28AM lionspaced said

The whole point of instanced worlds is so that you don't have players camping elite skill mobs for hostage, i guess.

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 10:10PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
The "no patch" update thing has pretty much nothing to do with the quality of Guild Wars' team. Quite simply, Guild Wars has less content than games like WoW, and they release the big chunks of it in smaller, more closely-packed expansions than WoW does. WoW's patches contain MAJOR content changes and the nature of the two games mean that WoW requires much larger files (and thus a much longer download) to be downloaded in its patches.
WoW is just a bigger and better game, and requires more maintenance and more information as a result.

Posted: Oct 13th 2009 11:26PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
WoW Bigger? Most definitely.

WoW Better? Well, I would argue against that comment.

But whatever. We are all entitled to our own opinion.
But you ruined a good post with a blantantly biased comment.

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 5:06AM Sente said

Morningbell, I think you are missing the point with the no downtime (not "no patch") update system of Guild Wars.
There is not really any "we are taking down the servers a bit for an update/maintenance" situation, like with most other MMOs. The on-the-fly patch/update system will cause some loading delay for you only when there is an update of something, when you need to access that content. Possibly also a need to relog at your convenience for some updates to take effect.

This includes getting new campaigns/expansions, not just smaller patches/updates.

Posted: Oct 14th 2009 2:42AM (Unverified) said

Ouch. Ruined is a bit of a strong word, innit? I know I'm biased, but I thought that the stuff before that was a fairly solid point. Bigger=more data=longer patch times, plus the content-introduction system is different between the two games.

Posted: Oct 17th 2009 3:24AM WarnerYoung said

Not having ever played WoW, I don't know how its patching system works, but I agree with Rubi that the GW patching system is fast. The main reason is that, technically, as soon as it's patched the main game exe, you can be back in the game, with the rest of the data patches streaming to you while you play. The only delay would be if you're trying to play in an area that required a patch.

In theory, that means that no matter how much data GW had, you could jump back into the game pretty quickly.