Posted: Oct 11th 2009 8:28PM Jesspiper said

They need to reign in the dregs of the gaming community: griefers. I don't care if being anti-FFA means I'm a "carebear"; some fat internet nerd who get's their jollies by being an online bully can call my RL martial artist, ex-infantry self a carebear behind their safe computer screen all they want. At the end of the day I'm the one who knows how to use demolitions and kill someone with my bare hands.

The fact of the matter is FFA PvP relegates a game to a niche market. The PvP servers in AoC need to be way more restricted. Last I checked when reading Conan, Priests of Mitra didn't go around ganking people and eachother. AoC's PvP servers needs to focus heavily (way more than said in the interview) on the Border Kingdoms and reign in the quest zone PvP. It makes a mockery of the lore and keeps AoC a refuge for the dregs of the MMO community. AoC was supposed to be THE MMO of the decade and almost was. 800,000 subscribers in the first few months is insane.

The bugs and lack of content was the wound, and the griefer-friendly PvP is the bleeding.

Posted: Oct 11th 2009 9:23PM Pingles said

Please, friend. Go get some counseling. I'm worried about you.

Posted: Oct 11th 2009 9:33PM Jesspiper said

haha, no worries, I just hate FFA PvP with a passion and it is my opinion that it put a heavy taint on AoC's PvP servers.

Posted: Oct 11th 2009 9:45PM (Unverified) said

Jess, I enjoyed FFA PvP because it made the game world "dangerous".

I tried Lotro after AoC and it was so boring because there were no surprises out in the wilderness.

Some of my best memories are of tangling with griefers in the wilderness :)

What used to annoy me was when another player would fixate on me (for no reason) and keep tracking me down and getting me.

Posted: Oct 11th 2009 9:50PM Jesspiper said

• 1 heart
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, and I've heard all the excuses for people liking FFA before. It doesn't change the content of my above rant :)

Posted: Oct 11th 2009 11:45PM Tizmah said

I always saw open PvP as a bother sometimes. There isn't much reward for killing a player, plus you don't lost much in these games these days. So there isn't anything "heart pounding" about it.

Posted: Oct 12th 2009 2:43AM (Unverified) said

Most of my best memories of AoC come from the FFA PvP. Random encounters...big battles near populated areas...guild vs guild and alliance vs alliance...There was a lot of player-created tension and storylines. When FFA PvP works, it's great.

Unfortunately, when FFA PvP doesn't work, it can really suck. Griefing, hating, endless guild politics that go wrong and create a lot of bad feelings and experiences.