Posted: Oct 9th 2009 1:42PM (Unverified) said

I'm envious of LotRO fans and all of their content. I just can't get into the game for some reason... I've tried several times, but it just never clicks with me.

Posted: Oct 9th 2009 4:26PM (Unverified) said

I agree with what aurickle said:

I suspect that the technology behind SoM's Skirmishes system is the test platform for what they're going to use with Helm's Deep. They would want to get the system working well and tested to death in order for it be able to really shine in key elements like Helm's Deep. (As well as the far off -- and even more epic -- war in Gondor.)

They want and need (players with pitch forks and torches at doors need!) to get rohan, Helms Deep and mounted combat right.

I think that skirmishes sound very nice and a massive adition to the game, cant wait!

Posted: Oct 9th 2009 5:07PM JaySpeed said

It's also nice that book 9 epic quests will use the skirmish system. So no more looking for group for hours trying to do the harder group quests. I hope they go back and retrofit the group quests in volume 1 and 2 for the skirmish system. You'll be able to solo the quests if you want or you can scale it up to a 12 person raid also. That's pretty cool and will allow everyone to experience the main story in LOTRO. The story line is what sets this game apart from the pack IMO. Everyone should get to experience volume 1 because it is a great story with a good ending.

Posted: Oct 9th 2009 6:28PM (Unverified) said

I know. I'm pretty ashamed of it if that means anything.

Posted: Oct 9th 2009 7:51PM Laephis said

Ashamed? Why? Your complaints of the lotro UI are completely valid. In fact, I share most of them. As far as I'm concerned, artwork/animation is very important in an MMO since you're going to be staring at those icons for a long, long time. Opening your inventory to an assortment of visually pleasing items is huge, and lotro is sorely lacking in that department. I could never get attached to my lotro character like I could other games, and the UI, combat, and artwork is a very large reason for that.

Posted: Oct 9th 2009 8:20PM (Unverified) said

They've changed the icons (including the overlays) several times. Many times they improve, but just as many times they get worse. Many now look too cartoony (odd for an otherwise not-very-cartoony looking game). I think it's also a bad move that "vendor fodder", lv50 class quest, and certain "quality" level inventory items all share similar purple backgrounds for their icons.

It's also true that the gfx do not scale well on low end machines. Without high/very high level textures, anisotropic 4x (or better) filtering, and post-processing effects, the game is a blurry mess. On high end machines, it's quite gorgeous, though :-)