Posted: Oct 7th 2009 10:42AM (Unverified) said

Eh sorry this isn't majorly related to the article i just thought I'd ask here quickly how this games doing in europe? I'm downloading the trial now but it's a large size so I'm wondering if it's worth doing? Game still good? Still popular?

Just thought I'd ask for some opinions like i said. Cheers all.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 10:46AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

• 1 heart
Legendary weapons are one of the reasons I left the game. Even with the daily bounty runs it was still a pain to find one that you liked... and then to realise in November they will be wasted and just decon material.

Turbine could have done this better but they messed up, even these band-aids won't get me back now.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 12:21PM (Unverified) said

LOTRO is the worst game I've ever seen with item glut and clutter.

There is never enough storage space no matter how many houses you find yourself with or how many bank bags you buy. The game is horrible at taking up space.

They have redone crafting items THREE times since launch. First they stopped requiring monster specific items to be used in any one time use recipe. Still the amounts of items were insane. So next they go and downsize the amount of crafting items that drop off creatures. Still there was too much. So the most recent they redo all the critical % increase crafting items. Which would be good if not for the stupid heritage rune system.

The heritage rune system is ridiculous. There is no need for 1, 2, 3 and 4,000 item run xp runes. A 1,000 and a 5,000 would have sufficed. Next, there are obscure runes like 22.5k runes between the 20,000 and 30,000. For a few areas there's things like 35k, 40k, 45k. Totally unneeded. Now to top it all off, there are runes worth the SAME amount of item xp that DO NOT STACK. I've had 30k's that don't stack together, I've had 130k's that don't stack together. How bad does such a great dev team as Turbine have to become to not figure out how to get rid of all this clutter?

The answer was not to include a 2nd set of MIRKWOOD only usable item xp runes. Now the great stock of runes people keep(and keep them you must as you never know when an item is gonna suck) will be doubled.

Its genius I tell you.

You know they say Rome wasn't so much destroyed by barbarians as Rome was destroyed by Rome. I do not know what these guys are thinking, but we aren't going to have the year 2008 repeat itself forever, there WILL be good MMO's come out and take away LOTRO's customers. You can't bank on the amount of suck to stay great forever.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 3:25PM aurickle said

I'm a little confused here, given that I've never once had heritage runes sitting in my inventory. When I get a rune, I use it. The only reason I can imagine having multiple runes would be if I already have a bunch of legendary items at max level and I just want to save some runes in case a really awesome LI drops. But if that's the situation you're in then you would have had to have played the game a LOT. Which means you must like the game, no?

Regardless, the changes that they've outlined for LI's sound to me like they would fix the issue you're complaining about. Yes, they add a new type of heritage rune. But they are also changing the system so that you can tell from the start whether your LI is a keeper or not. That means you'll have far less reason to keep tons of runes around.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 3:35PM (Unverified) said

If you've already got a decent 1st age Bow as a hunter, you generally wouldn't just use heritage runes to build up some junk 3rd age to decon for relics. You save them so that the next 1st age weapon you get you can level up really fast. I've maxed every 1st age i've gotten within a day or two of getting them because of thinking ahead.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 5:12PM CKC said

I also have a bank full of IXP runes, but these won't be taking up your space once SoM releases. They'll be vendor trash as soon as you start using a lvl 61+ item.

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 1:56PM (Unverified) said

Never seen it so popular, and I first logged in I think just after Shadows of Angamar, 1st expansion released.

Well worth a look, esepcially as they've cut that too high ratio of group quests at the beginning. You've probably read already how it's more of an 'atmosphere' game than PvP instant action thing.

As for the legendary weapons issues mentioned above, I personally don't think that's quiet the end of the world.

It works like: At end game you level weapons rather than your character, these have hidden attributes. They are quiet easy to level so one doesnt turn out too hot it's not hard to level another - you can even break the old weapon down for some XP back.

Oh and yes, they've revamped crafting a few times, as well as a lot of old end game raids and items that you don't really need to do at lower levels. Because no other MMO game has problems like those... ... ..

Just download it, it's good :)

Posted: Oct 7th 2009 3:41PM (Unverified) said

Quite easy to level, yes.

Not so easy to acquire 1st ages, which you wouldn't just throw away and start a new one.

If you're still stuck with 3rd ages a year after Moria comes out, then I can see why one would think legendary weapons are a dime a dozen. These changes are GOOD that they are making, but I just do not see a reason to make the legendary runes more convoluted than they already are.