Posted: Oct 4th 2009 11:02AM (Unverified) said

Now if they can weed out some of the gold farmer / trader spam, reduce some of the overloading, and tighten up a few things they will have an almost flawless game.

That being said no game is perfect, Ncsoft did a good job with the release and its good to see them keeping up with things only 2 weeks on, hopefully they can keep up with community keep adapting and continue with what is shaping up to a very awesome game.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 11:22AM risk said

possibly the best game launch i've seen. (even better then non-mmorpg games)

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 11:24AM Ayenn said

It is a relaunch... keep that in mind when y'all are declaring it is such a good launch. The game has been running for over a year already.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 10:21PM JaySpeed said

I think LOTRO had the best MMO launch I've ever experienced. Turbine had everything running smooth from day one.

SWG was the worst MMO launch by comparison. Took SOE a week to get the server problems ironed out.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 12:44PM Cendres said

@Angel

It's not a relaunch if it never launches in a particular country. When WoW launched in Asia or Eq2 we didn't say oh it's a relaunch, just they launched it in those countries. Even with the game client itself being as polished it can be launches are still tricky as we've seen.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 2:05PM Ayenn said

that is an issue of semantics. when i say it is a relaunch i mean the software is being redistributed to another region with localization of some assets. fact is it has been running for a long time. they have ironed out the code and have worked on the core mechanics. changing up the quest text and perhaps some rewriting of the quest code is only slightly more than an editorial action. spell check is working? okay. does the new flavor text laid over "kill ten rats" make sense? okay.

the only really question would be the server stability with mass log-in

Posted: Oct 5th 2009 9:27AM Thac0 said

@ Angel

Does the fact that its been released in another country already somehow diminish the quality of a product and the tenor of its launch? I don't think so. I think that its new to Europe and North America and there is more to an MMO launch than the DvDs in a box. So if the game is being well received by its new western audience then it deserves the Kudos it gets. I'll be buying a copy this afternoon fwiw .

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 11:27AM Rocky said

I thought 1.5 was supposed to add more quests and reduce the grind? I'm still stuck grinding out 75% of every level I get. It takes 2 million exp to get from 23 to 24 and the quests give 20-30k. Even then, there aren't enough of the quests to do.

This is my only complaint. The actual time it takes to grind out a level isn't too bad, really. It's just that this isn't 1999 when EQ was released and I can't sit at my computer and mindlessly grind npcs for hours on end. I've played better models and I can't go back.

I'll probably end up playing two MMOs. Aion and something else to play when I'm burned out on grinding non stop. Then, once I'm max level in Aion.... I'll focus solely on it.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 2:08PM Celestian said

I'd have to agree on the grinding point. I played beta 1-20 on 3 characters and it wasn't terribly bad though I did have to grind 17-19 about 60%. Now, after the 1.5 patch and retail release and above 25, I grind almost 90% of my levels. If they added more quests at 30+ it's not 30 and 31 and if it is they need to add about 4 times as many quests.

I enjoy the pvp, the game play, the tradeskill system and the look but the grind is gonna really make this game hard to keep on my monthly bill. I played EQ1's grind for years but that was also 10 years ago. I'm at 31 trying to make 32 and all I can do is grind mobs in the abyss... boring.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 12:11PM MrDiamondJ said

I'm enjoying Aion immensely, but there's a big grind, no doubt about it. But you know what? I can overlook it. The game is polished, it looks great, and has excellent writing. I wish it had more attack variety (it seems that as a Cleric I use Smite and one other melee attack almost exclusively), but it's a top-notch title to be sure.

If it takes the release of a product in another territory a year ahead of time to get a game like this, then so be it. I migrated over from WAR and the two games are night and day. Aion feels like a professional product, while WAR is (still) so buggy and ill-conceived that it feels like a side project that was done in Mythic's spare time. It has its flaws, but Aion is very good right out of the gate.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 1:33PM GryphonStalker said

That's not a completely fair comparison. You have to compare WAR's one year anniversary (Or any other MMO that hasn't had the benefit of already being launched for a year in other country.) to Aion now.

It's like saying WoW now at it's 5-odd year age is more polished then Fallen Earth which has only been in retail for 2 weeks.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 1:41PM GryphonStalker said

((Bah! I sent to early!))

I do totally agree that as a aging gamer I do prefer more polished games and as the MMO space continues mature gamers will demand it more. But, I honestly cannot think of how these studio can get that polish without subjecting it to the HUGE gaming communities. Alpha and Beta testing as we can see just doesn't catch everything.

Although these studios that quickly and consistently acknowledge issues and fix them accordingly do bank well with me.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 3:40PM Cendres said

@ Gryphon, if you want to look at it that way WAR and Aion both originally launched in the fall of 2008....

Posted: Oct 5th 2009 9:37AM Daverator said

Alpha and beta test often DO detect almost all of the problems, the publishers just choose to push to retail before fixing the problems.

Take champions, there was a ton of information that crafting wasn't complete, defensive passives were too powerful, many many skills were too powerful or underpowered, and also missions left and right that were bugged reported and encountered by almost every single player.

They released a Day1 Patch that was NEVER tested publicly. And it ignored many of the issues.

The problem is even when players DO protest super buggy launches (by simply not buying/continuing to subscribe to the games) it does not deter future MMOs from doing the same.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 1:05PM Validus said

I preordered the CE edition so I was really interested in the game (played in the CBTs). However 2 - 4 hour queues (on the EU servers) is ridiculous and I have better things to do than sit there and watch the queue timer so that I don't get in only to be kicked out due to being AFK while I do other things. All the polish doesn't account to anything if I can't actually play the game. Sadly I've canceled my subscription for the time being.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 1:09PM (Unverified) said

That's all great, we've finally seen a company that's released a game that's both pleasant enough to play and works at release when everyone is looking, but where's the free server transfer for those of us that pre ordered, levelled a character and now face 90min plus cues? The first few weeks after launch is one thing but...

Do they think I'm paying for a transfer. That whole legal thing and are they providing 'a fair' service is looking more and more worth the while by the day :) Especially given all those press blurbs about how great the pre launch sales had been. Hell, everyone has downed a raid boss, why not not a game.

But yeah, a working game that's good enough.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 10:57PM Neurasthenic said

Wasn't one of the main points in the letter that they are going to be implementing a free server transfer for everyone? Am I completely missing some sort of sarcasm, or did you not read the article...

Posted: Oct 5th 2009 1:57AM (Unverified) said

Nope, I didn't, I just alt+tabbed out of the log in screen after being DC'ed from the game mid party

But thanks for the info, you're right I didn't :) Free server transfers are a great thing and I really can't complain on that front, especially as it comes with free game time to replace that for the last week or so when the games been effectively unplayable for me on my characters' account....

Cool.

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 1:46PM yavo said

quote: "For example, we're seeing timeframes where 60 percent or more of our players are playing at any given time."

i would like them to define "playing", when people are logged in and go to sleep, or work and don't logoff to avoid que times. sounds like they really don't want to knock off these "nonplayers" otherwise they couldn't brag about "60% players on at any given time"

Posted: Oct 4th 2009 2:11PM (Unverified) said

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not hearing anything about NCsoft fixing the periodic lag spikes that made the game completely unplayable for 5-10% of the audience (including me). Until I hear they've addressed the problem, or that they are actually responding to customer problems (for a while they wouldn't even post on their own forums!), I see no point in wasting my time on a game I that refused to work for me during open beta and preorder.

And yes, before you mention it, the lag spikes aren't problems with my PCs or a specific server. I worked with various drivers, configurations, even machines, as well as various servers and characters. My ISP has done just fine with a half dozen other MMOs in the last couple months, so it's not their fault.

My point is that in addition to the long lines on some servers, there is a minority of the population who wanted to play, discovered the game wasn't working for them and went elsewhere. For those people this was definitely NOT a smooth launch.