Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 7:22PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad for Fallen Earth's success. The rest... well let's just say I'm a firm believer of the theory that in order for good games to get released, the bad ones have to fail.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 7:44PM Mr Angry said

Aion's popularity is well deserved, good to know downloads continue apace!

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 8:00PM phobic99 said

I happened to purchase all three of the MMOs mentioned here. I guess I have money to blow apparently but in terms of enjoyment I'd rank them:

1. Fallen Earth - This is a shock even for me. It's so slow... and dismal... and buggy... and I'm having a blast. It's not as linear as the other two recently MMOs and the game is much more of a world than any MMO that's been out in years. Looking forward to seeing this one polished up.

2. Aion - Not bad but it really is more of the same. Currently paused my spiritmaster at 26.

3. Champions Online - This was the first one to meet the chopping block. It's not a bad game but it feels more like an arcade game than anything else. Not bad just... meh. Oh and the linearity kills my alt-itis. I'm not sure if that's bad or good though.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 8:10PM Vitamin Dei said

At the risk of sounding like a frothing fangirl for CO, I'll just throw in quickly and say that Champions Online via Steam carried no special pre-order bonuses with it like many of the other major retail and digital distribution sites. The only reason to grab the game from Steam right now is if you're attached to their achievements system (which I like, BTW).

That all said, I'm really glad to see these two games performing so well on Steam. Particularly Fallen Earth, which I didn't expect to see have such a strong start. Way to go, Icarus. :)

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 11:37PM Omega2k3 said

Actually, it got some sweet ones, but didn't mention them until launch. You get a steampunk action figure and damage boost passive gadgets.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 8:46PM Dblade said

Uh this is where the lack of context and real numbers may be working against us. Champions Online is number 8 on direct2drive, can you guess what number 5 is? Assassin's creed: the director's cut. Even on steam, without real numbers we cant tell whether or not FE is selling well because its a legitimate hit, or because the real numbers are low. On steam, number 8 is counterstrike, number 5 is FEAR 2, and number 6 is Left for Dead.

My guess is that past Aion the numbers drop off tremendously. Its hard to find real data though, VGchartz doesn't list it for PC games.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2009 5:54AM Droniac said

As has been said: Assassin's Creed is currently one of the 5-dollar-sale games on Direct2Drive. So most likely it's selling very well and the numbers are quite high.

The story is similar on the Steam front:
FEAR 2's massive promotional deal (+ Reborn DLC) that just closed down made it sell very well. Left 4 Dead is obviously selling well due to the new free Crash Course DLC - and the impending release of L4D2.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 8:50PM Graill440 said

Any PC game sites have the numbers on cancellations per title? Or are the free month trials still rolling before payment plans kick in? This number would be interesting to see verse sales for the same time periods. I would use past trends as an example to show way under half make a paying sub after purchasing these titles.

In presenting numbers as many titles have done and do today in submitting account numbers, will these titles use those cancelled accounts to count towards future numbers? Such as we have X amount of subscriptions, we just arent saying how many of those subscriptions are cancelled.

There is some entertainment value to knowing how many folks threw away 40 or more bucks chasing a wild turkey, though if you think about it, the entertainment value may be the same, and after all, thats what counts.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 8:59PM Graill440 said

Excuse the quick repost.

Any sites providing actual sales numbers for units per title including digital download, not seeing any. Not rankings as these fluctuate per site.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 9:39PM (Unverified) said

"Champions Online is number 8 on direct2drive, can you guess what number 5 is? Assassin's creed: the director's cut."

That'd probably be because Assassin's Creed is one of the games on sale for only 5 dollars with Direct2Drive's big anniversary sale. I imagine quite a few of those games are selling quite well.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2009 7:47AM TheJackman said

Well Hail to Aion, Fallen Earth and Champions Online. Now you guys got the clients out there on the peoples PC its time to get back to work on some brand new content so people keep playing your game! Great job so far guys keep it up!