Posted: Oct 1st 2009 6:27PM (Unverified) said

This simply would not happen at a company where I could prevent it. Teachers are to be catered to, thanked, applauded even, especially those building a reason to join the virtual world community to do something genuinely good.

I respect the technology LL has created my business is greatly based on it but your public relations are a disaster when you create problems for paying customers who also happen to be teachers.

Pick on someone your own size LL.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 7:16PM (Unverified) said

Considering SLExchange went through all this over a year ago to become XstreetSL... this current action by LL seems pretty tardy.

Makes you wonder who is next in the pipeline? There are still plenty of groups using an "unlicensed" form of the Labs mnemonics.

As suggested above. I think it's an ideal time for any of these groups/companies to rise above this negativity and promote the work they do in providing valuable community resources to a community feeling sadly let down in those community stakes by LL.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 7:59PM (Unverified) said

When I had my "SL" trademark issue for my company SL Brand, I first received a letter from Linden Lab and their representatives. This was back in April 2008, if my memory is any good (no claims there). What DID upset us back in April 08, was that we had held discussions with the LL back in April 2006 to check if they had any issues about our name. Not only did they approve it, they provided artwork (as Tim aka Flipper pointed out). This is just another example of why I no longer trust anything that Linden Lab states

It is sad to see this happening, but from what I experience, it forced my company not only to rethink our whole relationship with Second Life and Linden Lab but it also got us thinking more long term about virtual worlds. So now we are known as Meta Magic Studio (TM) - lol

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 4:13AM (Unverified) said

Sorry, but I'm with LL on this one, and it isn't about attack lawyers but law. They provided ample notification 18 months ago that anything with "Second Life" in its name would be viewed as their mark, and said that "SL" could be used but only inworld. Those who used the term "SL" on third-party websites, products, etc. were asked to remove it. You could have some limited use of the term inworld and were offered an "inSL" logo to use.

Notified of this properly, I myself immediately took down the website I had called "Second Life Record" -- because that was required. I changed it to "SL Citizens Record" but basically destroyed that separate newspaper website where I had put up various public notices, things of public interest, etc. It was especially irksome to see, not long after I destroyed my website, to see another group come along and start a website with exactly the same name, unrelated to me, "Second Life Record," with topics not even on SL much of the time, which they proceeded to feed into planet.worldofsl.com for more than a year. LL didn't say a thing. I didn't abuse report them because I don't believe in police-informant states.

Meanwhile, the group SL Public Land Preserve and its publications stayed in world, and I registered them on the page that LL sent us to for such registration. I took down the website related to it.

We all watched as Slexchange.com was forced to change its name to XStreet.com, and then was bought out and became Xstreetsl.com

So if you were running a site called Sleducation, you'd have to be wilfully ignorant not to see that you were going to have problems, especially after the proper and timely notice from LL, and then the action taken against Xstreet.

Why should LL engage in PR activity and co-opt this group when it already has education staff and other favoured education groups? See, you guys always advocate and protect and defend the FIC when it works for you, but the minute it runs against you, you start barking at LL.

Tateru tendentiously reports this by wilfully ignoring the fact that the application for registration of the mark was 18 months ago, and acting as if you only have to comply with their request when they succeed in validating their registration successfully. But that's not the case at all, and that was explained fully in LL announcements.

As for OpenSim, well, that's where quite a few of these educators belong anyway with their communalist and collectivist ideologies, their loathing of free enterprise, their demand that all code be opensource and all content be free so that education consultants can have a lot of free stuff to sell their consulting on top of. Does Jokay Wollongong run a consulting business too like so many of the people calling themselves "educators" in SL, who in fact exist somewhere between actual universities and other institutions and this software company in San Francisco?

As for wikis, they're evil. Only a handful of people labour to put them up, many people either ignore them, find them too hard to use, or benefit from them without contributing, and they aren't just systems as a result.

Surprise, surprise, you advocated giving away things for free, and people took you seriously until you impacted their business, then they were done.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 4:13AM (Unverified) said

You can see why this blogger and blog comments are never properly defending intellectual property in SL -- they don't really believe in it.

They view this episode as LL's fault for being "tardy" in defending their own copyright, when in fact it's the educators who are tardy in complying with LL's request 18 months ago.

No wonder Copybot and Builderbot get such a pass from the Slintelligentsia in SL given this attitude.

Posted: Oct 5th 2009 9:45AM (Unverified) said

'slinteligensia' .... breaking the copright rules yourself now Prok? :)

I cite this because it is a good example of the problem. Copyright enforcement should not be arbritrary. Some common sense should be used: is it promoting your product or doing harm to it. Care also needs to be taken to make sure people do not try to co-opt your trademark, but most people can tell the difference between an obvious third-party website and the official one (I somehow doubt their wiki has the same look-and-feel of the Linden sites).

As long as it does not destroy your brand, fans using a derivation of your trademark is free advertising. For example, you will see a lot of apps starting with a lower-case 'i' promoted by Apple .... which third party developers created and sell.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 9:51AM Scuffles said

Unsurprising, its your standard, substandard, corporate patent or trademark everything under the sun that is even in the remotest way possibly, probably or plausibly linked to you.

Then proceed to hit everyone else under that same sun with C&D notices and lawsuits.

Didn't anyone else get the memo, litigation is the new black.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 9:52AM Scuffles said

and by "you" I actually meant to say Them, lol

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 10:26AM (Unverified) said

This is such unfortunate case, from LL side I mean. Tainting a great opportunity to be a real platform for evolution in education.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2009 5:53PM (Unverified) said

As someone who works with trademarks & copyrights regularly, LL had every right and in fact, a duty, to issue a takedown for a site named "Second Life in Education" in order to protect their mark. Trademark holders MUST defend their marks or they can lose them.

@Tateru Fair use does not apply. The screen shots I saw of the site clearly used "Second Life" as a form of branding for the site. Fair use would have been something like:

Education in the Metaverse
-- offering perspectives on Second Life and other virtual worlds

Now it's not part of the site's branding -- it's part of the description.

That said, LL obviously could have handled this better with outreach. LL could have also issued Jokay a license to USE their mark for a token fee.

I DO have a problem with LL claiming a trademark for the initials SL. I'll bet it's unenforceable but someone has to be willing to go to court over it. LL could just as easily be infringing on Mercedes with that one. The use of the initials SL arose from the users -- not from LL. Much like users started calling the Apple Macintosh a "Mac". Apple has maintained a trademark on "Mac" but it's VERY narrow which is why there are publications like Macworld and others.

BTW, IANAL.