Posted: Sep 30th 2009 1:02PM MtthwRddl said

SWTOR MMO already in beta isn't automatically a good thing. How many MMOs are released not fully complete? It seems that is the standard now.

I would hate to see many fans of the game fall out of love with the game because the game is released with a lack of content, a bunch of bugs, etc.

People have high expectations of this game, and for the game to be possibly coming out in less than one year from now, how many of these expectations will be met?

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 2:09PM (Unverified) said

It's a shame to see that the open call for hiring new staff was a completely inhouse affair.

My suggestion would be that if you already know who you're hiring (friends), don't bother making a post saying you're open to all applications.

Massively just lost a huge chunk of credibility now that we've learnt how the staffing is decided and kept as a family affair.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 8:45PM (Unverified) said

Oh please! This isn't exactly an unusual method of hiring.

I know the company I work for frequently advertises available positions on the internal boards, but also with job agencies and in newspapers. Sometimes the person who gets the job will end up coming from within the company, sometimes they wont. But doing it this way means the guys in charge of recruitment have a bigger pool to pick from, which in turn gives them the best possible chance of hiring the ideal candidate.

The fact Rubi got hired above everyone else is probably just a reflection of how good her writing and analytical skills are. Congrats and good luck in your new role Rubi!

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 4:42AM (Unverified) said

I'm just pointing out that every new writer that's come on board since I started reading Massively, has been someone who has been heavily namedropped or even on the podcast, or Shawn being on theirs. Hell she's an old guildie, how obvious do you wanna make it?

As far as I can tell, this woman plays a single MMO (which is barely one), has a crappy computer, and very little experience of either writing or in the industry/space.

Massively becomes less interesting to read and slower on posting news as each day passes by (compared to WoW.com or Joystiq for example), and it just feels like Shawn is ensuring more of the same by wasting AOL's money on contributors and columnists that are all the exact same demographic and are barely distinctive in their own writing style.

Like I said, my advice is either to take a risk and hire someone outside of friends you want to get on board the cash cow, or simply stop making open calls. There is no way on earth that she was the most qualified and experienced candidate.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 7:21AM (Unverified) said

I'm really sorry you didn't get picked, but let's not overlook the fact that our open call-out helped us choose another great writer who will be starting very soon. Although I'm not the entire hiring process, I think maybe you underestimate how these things are done.

Our open call-out got us a chance to establish a short list of extremely qualified people for this job, Rubi included. I don't think it's fair to discredit her simply because she was an ex-guildie of mine over 2 years ago. We'll let her writing style, dependability and outlook prove her worth more than anything else.

Many of the problems with the site you mention lately are because we've been severely understaffed for a long time now. Our two newest hires, regardless of your misguided opinions of them, will help this tremendously.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 8:02AM (Unverified) said

My application was put in as a whim, the announcement on Massively Speaking was honestly a confirmation of what I already knew, that you:

a) Only employ people you have a relationship with outside of the site.

b) Only employ people like you.

Neither of those points are meant angrily or in an insulting manner, so please don't take them as such, but content quality is as much of an issue as quantity of posts on Massively right now, you essentially have a Staff made up of casual gamers, playing a multitude of games at very low level, that mostly fit into a similar age and background bracket. There are a couple of exceptions, I think James Egan is fantastic, but for the most part this is how I feel as a reader.

My background of being a hardcore MMO gamer, experiencing the very top of endgame in several high profile MMO's, could have offered a unique viewpoint and a bit of variety to the site. I'm not bitter that I personally wasn't chosen, I'm just disappointed in Massively for not picking someone either like me, or from another unique viewpoint (RP, Foreign Games, Industry Insight), and simply adding more of the same, over and over.

I understand that working at Massively isn't highly paid, that it is hard work, and that it can turn something that you love (MMO's) into an arduous task, but if you're having trouble motivating your troops, who should be counting their lucky stars that they get paid to do this, and be dedicated to no end with improving the site, I don't know how adding 2 more of them will help.

I admire you (Shawn) for trying to up the profile of Massively, and make it more prominent in the games media industry, but more and more, to anyone with a modicum of experience within this sector, it just looks incredibly unprofessional and misinformed.

You're welcome to entirely ignore what I've said and put it down to me being angry I didn't get the job, but it was my second attempt and my last, due to the internal hiring practices, so I really have nothing to gain by making this stuff up.

Your call.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 8:23AM (Unverified) said

Points all duly noted, and as someone who is immersed in this site and this industry for all of my day every day, I understand where you're coming from.

The staff at Massively are in a unique position: one that requires them to know everything about every game. We have specialty writers, yes, but with new games coming out constantly, it's hard to stay on track with only one game. We look for people who are specialized in one game, and we also look for people who know a little about every game. These are both highly sought-after attributes for this site in particular, as opposed to our sister sites. The two new hires (again, let me reiterate that we hired someone else during the open call-out, as well) were picked from some absolutely stunning applicants. Professional journalists, well-known game developers, professors of English, etc etc. It is difficult to turn down these applicants, yet we knew exactly what we were looking for, and I believe we've found it in these two.

The problem with someone who is a hardcore MMO player is that there is a world of difference between being hardcore, and writing about it. Often times, these two cannot work in harmony, and we've discovered that in the past. Knowledge can be taught. Dependability and enthusiasm cannot.

I do appreciate your own enthusiasm and care to write your opinion here, because you could have just as easily move on to any of the handful of other MMO sites out there, without a word. So thanks for the input :)

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014