Posted: Sep 30th 2009 10:40PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Nerds going overboard with their games... these guys need a life seriously... Obama is screweing up our economy so bad and these nerds are playing video games ignoring it... Stand up and actually get involved in real life government and kick these morons out of Congress and the House...

Stellar management, what a pathetic joke...

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 10:48PM Bluefyre said

"Stand up and actually get involved in real life government and kick these morons out of Congress and the House..."

I speak for everyone when I say thank you for your contributions to a website about virtual worlds that is obviously fixing the american economy.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 11:36PM (Unverified) said

Or maybe the fact that everyone who plays EVE isn't just American. Go back to Hello Kitty Island Adventure and STFU.

The CSM seems to working, besides the recent gaff of Lardonis and trying to manipulate the markets. Dominion should be pretty awesome.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 1:50AM Lateris said

Bush started it.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 2:18AM (Unverified) said

Obama is president of Iceland? Who knew!

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 11:57PM (Unverified) said

The CSM idea is not a "unique" idea to EVE, even if the feature does work really well. This is similar to SWG's "Galactic Senate" which has been operating for roughly two years now.

Similar results, similar format, different name. SWG's Senate consists of a rep from all professions, alliances, and game play styles (PvP, PvE, Events, and New Players) and they submit their thoughts, ideas, and proposals to the dev team. This has created numerous changes and fixes within the game.

But yes, congrats to EVE for listening to the community, like every MMO should.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 2:27AM (Unverified) said

Well fancy that, I'd never heard of the SW:G Senate before, but it does indeed seem to have been launched a good eight months earlier than Eve's CSM.

I guess it didn't make a lot of news since SW:G was basically dead in the water long before then. But it's interesting to know that the CSM wasn't the first of its kind, given how much publicity it has gotten as an innovation in the MMORPG field.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 2:36AM Brendan Drain said

Although the CSM as we know it started in 2008, it was apparently an old idea that they'd tried previously and scrapped. So technically I think EVE had it first, though it's good to know other games are adopting it. Age of Conan started a similar programme where each class has an "advocate" player who brings balance issues regarding that class to the developers. Players then use the advocate as a point of contact to voice their concerns.

So it's definitely something that works and I'm in total agreement that more MMOs need to go this way. The playerbase is the number one source of good feedback, the hard part is finding ways of filtering out the noise and distilling the useful feedback into cojent suggestions. Systems like these achieve exactly that without even hiring employees to do the job. And since employees may lack the outside perspective to truly percieve some issues, that in itself is a good thing. It's a win-win scenario, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 1:56AM Critical Mass said

I view the Council of Stellar Management as an opportunity for some enthusiastic players to talk with CCP and influence them in ways.

As for any democratic aspects, I am not too happy with it, nor am I with the real life equivalent, as the goal of democracy is unfortunatly a goal in itself, which imo is not enough.

Having said this, I have nothing against the idea of the Council of Stellar Management.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 2:39AM Brendan Drain said

I'm tempted to apply to the CSM this time. I'll probably have the free time and my name is well known enough that I'll probably get enough votes to get in.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 3:48AM (Unverified) said

I'm rather tempted to run against you, not going to lie :P

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 5:36AM Macabre 13 said

CSM is still one of the coolest features of any MMO to date.

EVE never ceases to impress... funny thing is, I have not the time nor inclination to actually play it, but I absolutely love reading about it.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 1:21PM (Unverified) said

It's the forced pvp, isnt it?

Why I Play: ArcheAge