Posted: Sep 30th 2009 12:12PM (Unverified) said

Eben, your bigotry, insecurity and ignorance are showing. I am really disappointed in massively for allowing comments such as your to be posted here. But since they are...

I am of the age that I "grew up" at the same time as the video game industry. As a kid, I used to hang out at the local 7-Eleven playing games like Defender and Pac-Man. I had all the consoles growing up (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.) and have had numerous Windows boxes over the years (again, mostly for gaming). I also drive a 4x4 truck (Z71 Silverado), love my fair share of the gentler gender (that would be women, in case you aren't paying attention), spend not nearly enough time in the gym as I should and love watching football and mixed martial arts.

However, I am a print and web designer by trade, as well as an illustrator. Therefore, I am a Macintosh user AND a gamer.

Making baseless statements, especially inflammatory ones such as yours, does nothing more than illustrate your immaturity and inability to see another persons point of view.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 9:49AM (Unverified) said

For a game that lost so many subs why would they consider putting this on a Mac ? You would think they would actually try to fix their game on the pc first and win back their subscribers before they put it on a Mac ?

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 9:56AM Firebreak said

I have never understood why there is so much hate in the MAC vs PC debate. I have a Macbook Pro and I love every ounce of that thing. I boot camp up windows for my gaming, which by the way runs Windows better then any PC I have had up to date. I use OSX to run everything else.

I would love more games on the OSX side but it does not really bother me that they are not. To have all this hate about a personal preference is mind boggling. Some people just need to take a step back.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 9:56AM Tom in VA said

Hmph. I use a Mac and love it. It is perfect for everything I want to use it for and easy to use.

Krystalle is correct. There are, however, very few *worthwhile* games that run natively on the Mac (WoW being one of the major exceptions), so I use Boot Camp for a few other Games -- Guild Wars and LotRO primarily.

And I am OK with that.

I have never understood the hoo-ha about which is better, Mac or PC. Yes, I prefer the Mac, but I also use a PC extensively and like it too, for different reasons. Seriously, people, how about live and let live and be content with what you choose without feeling the need to bash the other side?

As for the Mac version of Warhammer, I'm not sure I get the point of that. A Mac version of Guild Wars or LotRO seems like it would make more sense to me. I cannot imagine that it would be worth the coding effort to make this happen.

I wonder if the recently released Mac version of CoH ultimately proved worthwhile for that game? Now, that is something I'd like to know.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 7:39PM (Unverified) said

I have a feeling it was too little too late for CoH. I have a friend who might have played CoH if only it ran natively on a Mac like WoW. He didn't like having to use bootcamp, so ended up quitting fairly quickly. Now CoH has a mac client but . . . so what? Almost certainly anyone who is interested in the game is already playing it, and anyone who isn't interested isn't going to come back for a mac client. The only real benefit of the mac client is for existing subscribers who use a mac.

WAR might be in a different position, being a far newer game, but it nevertheless feels like building another sail for your ship when there's a gaping hole in the side -- you'll move faster but you're still going to bloody well sink.

Posted: Oct 1st 2009 12:50AM (Unverified) said

A recent interview linked on Warhammer Alliance over to Werit's blog, in which Werit interviews Carrie Gouskos, points out the following.

"But there were a lot of pieces and a lot of factors that differentiated the Mac and the PC game from a technical perspective. Fortunately for this reason, working on the Mac gave us a new perspective the PC version, and I’m very proud to say that improvements done for the Mac are going to be greatly beneficial to the PC players as well."

I remember reading a similar statement by Blizzard devs some time ago, in which they stated that developing for both platforms ultimately made for a much better product in both cases because it helped them understand programming obstacles better, as well as how to over-come them. The Windows team would go the Mac team to see how they were implementing "X" feature, which would give them insight on how to do it for Windows (and vice versa).

For this reason alone, I really do not understand why companies still chose to limit their development to a single platform -- or at the very least -- limit their development to a technology this is restricted to a specific platform (i.e., DirectX). I suppose if you don't have the talent to code for both, you go with the easier and quicker of the two (again, DirectX). Just seems lazy to me though.

All credit to Blizzard for having the vision and consideration to develop for both, even back when they were just a small development shop (along with the long-since defunct Blizzard North).