Posted: Sep 29th 2009 3:44PM Minofan said

Nah; the mysterious card section of the Tome has always been there, so it's not indicative of a move to f2p/freemium - maybe of RMT, but it would seem a little bloody-minded to pursue such an avanue when the core game is in some straits.

Being a fan of card games and the Warhammer IP though, I would love a non-subscription model that only requires the core game in small doses.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 3:46PM jwoelich said

My dream; Microsoft buys EA, abolishes Mythic, and sells the rights to WAR to a company that can do the IP justice, like Relic. If not, just turn off the lights on WAR altogether...better than watching that piece of garbage slowly collapse in on itself.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 3:49PM (Unverified) said

I had a moment of revelation about the Cards in ToK. I don't know if someone has talked about this, but there is a FFG living card game (read collectible card game) called Warhammer Invasion. I could almost bet it's some codes in the cards.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 5:08PM Minofan said

Ooh; that 'LCG' product is mighty cool!

But sadly, already missed the boat for a virtual RL tie-in with WAR (e.g. codes to unlock decks in-game); if they were to add this product to WAR it seems extremely likely that it'd be full RRP with none of the collectibility of a (rather beautiful in this case) physical product.

Of course a means to play online would be more valuable to some folks, but at $29 entry price pitched to a WAR-sized playerbase mostly composed of hardy PvPers... it'd not be a purchase anyone'd make without risk.

Not to mention a virtual collection would only last as long as a WAR subscription, or long-term (short-term for pessimists) only so long as WAR itself.

Posted: Sep 30th 2009 5:03AM (Unverified) said

Oh they might have missed the initial rush, but not even WoWtcg depends on online players alone. It's a good game, with good looking cards and "free lore" from the online game.

Warhammer card game has interested players from the fans of Warhammer already. Mythic has tied their online prize codes from Red Alert games to conventions and whatnot. In my opinion, Not using codes on those cards would be stupid from FFG and Mythic.
Mythic might get new players from Warhammer fans playing the card game. "Hey, I got this weird card! What does it do? Well, I got it.. might as well see what it looks like in the game.."
FFG might get new players from online gamers. "I just want that cool thingy for my char... it's too cool to miss.. Well.. now that I have these cards, why not try the game.. Hey, I actually like it.. Giev more cards!"

The success of such symbiosis would not be as great as WoWs of course. What does? But you cant deny the synergy.. :)