Posted: Sep 28th 2009 5:39PM (Unverified) said

I hope that i can get into this if its real. I'd dedicate just about all my free time! Now if only the actual game would come out sooner then sometime next year or the following.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 3:03PM (Unverified) said

Probably noteworthy that there are people, including myself, that not only have seen the title on RSS, but have seen the whole article on www.swtor.com itself.

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 7:19PM Lethality said

Can you remember any details from the article?

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 7:16PM (Unverified) said

To note, as the article does, call for testers != imminent start of beta. Proof? Starcraft 2.

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 7:41PM (Unverified) said

If there is one beta I would trade a family member for... it would be SWTOR.

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 7:42PM RogueJedi86 said

Betas can last awhile, but at least we're further along on TOR than we thought. I hadn't even heard of an alpha, and already we're coming up on the Closed Beta. But I guess when they said TOR is playable by the devs at home from a server at work, that counts as an alpha. At any rate, yay beta! Even if the Closed Beta will likely be NDAd to hell so we get no info, still yay!

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 8:19PM (Unverified) said

This doesn't have to mean anything. E.g. Earthrise beta sign-ups started in January.

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 9:07PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 9:18PM (Unverified) said

swg is going to shut down in december or sometime shortly after that. this would make sense if they started beta then.

Posted: Sep 28th 2009 11:44PM (Unverified) said

@draakull

where did you read that? I had read they were consolidating servers, but never heard they were shutting down the game. It would have serious trouble competing w/ TOR unless they reverted back to how it was before all the major changes. But i don't think sony would ever do that because of ego & pride.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 10:36AM LaughingTarget said

They are from competing companies, it won't get shut down.

And, no, going back won't save SWG. It was losing subscribers because the original was so abysmal. The game is still a mess on a basic programming level let alone gameplay mechanics. I'm surprised it STILL doesn't have functional animations after 5 years of waiting for patches (trial from last week, unless functioning animations are subscriber only). SWG is a tainted property at this point. An old, niche, and mostly irrelevant MMO won't ever get a mass of new subscribers.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 2:14AM Zensun said

"...indicating an [i]accidental posting[/i]."

AKA, PR stunt - with someone from their marketing team submitting the pic to Massively.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 6:06AM RogueJedi86 said

Did someone from their marketing team send it to DarthHater.com too? They reported it at about the same time as Massively. Someone in the comments even found a blank news announcement for today on the site. http://darthhater.com/2009/09/28/forum-buzz-beta-sign-ups-coming/

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 8:38AM (Unverified) said

Site is down for maintenance now. Grrrr.

Regardless, yes, this would be spectacular. Obviously they've been betaing, having friends and family members test the game and given them feedback... enough people are playing the game that they have to use surveys, instead of meetings, as feedback. That's certainly alpha, and it's been happening for a while.

Release being a year out sounds about right.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 9:43AM (Unverified) said

The SWTOR official site has been "down for maintenance" for almost two hours now. Perhaps this gives some weight to the story?

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 11:44AM (Unverified) said

The SWTOR sites back up & has the article to sign up to test.

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 11:51AM (Unverified) said

Site is back up. Announcment is back up. Can't login though. Maybe overloaded?

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Aaaand down again.

They got a lot of 'splainin to do!

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 11:54AM (Unverified) said

logged into this. had created an account a while back. signed into the account and hit the tester's sign up.

got to a page that said 'Unsupported Browser' - though I'm using firefox 3.x

"he system scan tool requires that you use the Windows operating system and either Firefox 3.0 or later, or Internet Explorer 7 or later. To complete the scan and continue with your application to participate in game testing, please access this page using one of these browsers."

Ah I see - I'm doing this from my Macbook pro.

What scan? What are they scanning? dxdiag isn't good enough? can't trust that the dxdiag is from the machine that would be used? (in fact I do enough betas that I have a copy of my windows game machine dxdiag handy on my macbook pro). curious. I'll probably try this from my game machine and see just what is taking place.

/shibumi

Posted: Sep 29th 2009 12:01PM (Unverified) said

They use a java program to do a simple scan of your computer. Blizzard is beginning to use a different method than dxdiag as well with their betas.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM