Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:13AM (Unverified) said

What, you can only play on the day a game launches and never again? Sorry, launching the same day means only very slightly more than nothing. Assuming you buy both games (as I did) there is absolutely nothing stopping you from trying out both games today. Even if you only played one today, it's not going to be some horrible thing to wait a day to play the other. If anything, it might be a good thing to wait when the starting areas are slightly less packed.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:21AM Dranaerys said

Well, lets put it this way, if your game (not jsut mmo in genereal) isnt getting as much hype as the other one launching, its not in your best interest to launch the same day, pretty much the same way as an indie movie maker you dont want to release your flick the same day Harry Potter 7 gets released.

Day 0 sales are often a big way to boost your PR, ad while with MMOs tis not a sprint but a marathon, nobody wants to waste the chance of good PR or have other games stealing your limelight.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:28AM (Unverified) said

ehm, aion is launching on the 25th?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:50AM (Unverified) said

In Europe yes, launching in the states today.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:48AM Anticrawl said

Sure why not, if they are both scheduled on the same day (for whatever reason) they should stick with it. If they pushed the game back to a later date or even earlier it could show as a sign of doubt by the publishers and an inside hint at a potential lemon gamers should avoid.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:57AM Dlangar said

In general, you do not want to launch on the same day as any competitor. But so much goes into launch day -- marketing budgets, server rack schedules, billing set up -- once all of these things are in motion, it can be very difficult (and even more costly) to change your launch day should you learn that one of your competitors are launching the same day. And these things are set in motion months in advance.

Having said that, I think in this case, Fallen Earth is such a niche appeal title, the people that are going to play Fallen Earth already know they're going to play Fallen Earth, and I suspect they could launch opposite Cataclysms day and it wouldn't change their opening numbers too terribly much.

Dlangar

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 8:57AM Jesspiper said

I wouldn't have done it if I was the Fallen Earth crew, but then again sometimes it's best just to do your own thing and stay the course that had originally set out. A lot of people were worried about Turbine releasing Mines of Moria basically the same time as Wrath of the Liche King, yet Moria was a total success and put the game on the map. But that's expansions, not game launches so I guess it's a bit different.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 9:02AM JohnD212 said

It might be better to launch on the same day so you don't get the entire population hitting your servers on the first day. I want to give Fallen Earth a try after playing the beta but will play Aion for a while before trying FE. That gives them one less person to hit their servers the first week or two.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 9:15AM (Unverified) said

Well, I'd go further and say that launching an MMO within 30 days of a major competitor is not sensible.

For sure, hardcore MMO gamers will buy both, but within that "grace" period, where you have the game time that comes with the boxed product, the undecided or more mass market players are not likely to have got bored of the game yet and go out and buy another MMO.

Unless you are only interested in getting gamers who happily play multiple MMOs concurrently, then launching within the same timeframe quite simply reduces your potential market. Pure business sense, if there are no external factors, says that you should avoid conflict to maximise potential.

Sounds like corporate speak, I know, but it's pretty basic economics.

Dave

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 3:30PM Psychotic Storm said

This raises two questions.

If the genres are so different can it really be regarded as competition?
What can be done for the small company that announces a launch day and suddenly the big company comes and announces the same day?

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 9:36AM (Unverified) said

The measure of MMO success lies in how many months or years it can maintain people as subscribers though, not by opening day numbers or box sales (Guild Wars not withstanding). An MMO isn't like a movie where you might have a few weeks to a couple of months to view it and then it's gone. The game will still be here next week and next month. And launching on the same day or in the same month means very little to a monthly billing cycle.

Fallen Earth was actually originally scheduled to launch a week ago, but they pushed it back to today to give them more time to optimize code. They've also had pre order head start going for three weeks now, as opposed to two days for Aion. Add that to the fact that they are very different games, the impact of them both launching today is minimal at most.

And actually, for a brand new player who's just starting both games today... I'd actually recommend spending your time in Fallen Earth. Of the two head start opening days, FE was MUCH smoother and less causing of cursing and headaches. A smaller population base and multiple starting areas let to no wait times and mostly-acceptable lag and competition over resorces/quest mobs. Aion however was insane. Trying to cram entire server populations into two areas made things pretty nuts. Assuming you were one of the people who could log in at all, with some of the multi-hour log in queues.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 9:40AM (Unverified) said

I think that launching MMO titles on the same date or even within 30 days is something that definitely affects playing time in those games. The question, I think, is to what degree.

I tested Fallen Earth and, frankly, Aion dominates it completely in overall quality, even if they are two completely different games. We as gamers hate having to pay a recurring fee for a gaming experience, but the bottom line is always the quality of gaming experience. Players will flock to the games they better prefer, over time, but launching at similar times will affect initial player volume & response will be based mostly on advertising, imo.

MMOs launching at similar times will also be unavoidable as the gaming industry is booming, about to surpass the movie industry in total revenue, and all existing MMOs have become outdated, not being in-line with current tech.

I'm so excited about all the games coming out, but have decided that I don't have the time or money to play all of them, though I will be stretching myself to play Aion, SWtOR, Global Agenda and FFXIV at the least. Games like Star Trek, Mortal Online, and Champions Online I will reserve myself to reading and watching about. Games like Fallen Earth I'll probably scan headlines for, and games like Warhammer Online and LotRO, I've already pushed to the side (though LotRO seems to be one of the best current MMOs).

Will there be enough gamers to support the new industry boom or will we see another collapse of companies and many out-of-work developers in the next two to three years? I'm not sure.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 9:58AM (Unverified) said

Am I the only one who thinks these games are overpriced? I'll wait a few months, until they are reasonably priced. As for launching on the same day, I couldn't care less.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 10:17AM Wisdomandlore said

Heh, yeah, MMOs tend to depreciate rapidly. I paid $50 for LOTRO and $40 for the MoM expansion, and now Turbine gives them both away for $10. I know games like EQII have the original game plus all the expansions bundled together for $20. Only WoW seems to be able to keep charging higher prices for the actual game, with vanilla WoW + BC + WoL costing around $70-$80.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 12:04PM Celestian said

I'm sure the 3 or so people who will play Fallen Earth might know who it is but I doubt many others will. I doubt the 2 mmos launching at the same time will affect one or the other because no one even knows or cares about Fallen Earth.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 12:05PM TheJackman said

Too go back on topic I think that yes in this case Fallen Earth and Aion are complete other games... One is the RPG elf type of game and the other is more down to earth shooter. The people buying this games are complete other groups of people.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 12:14PM Minofan said

Nope; cannot say it's ever a good idea to launch on the same day - and I wouldn't buy into "it's just another day" as every MMO pushes the boat out one way or another to mark launch.

Of course if Aion server queue coverage is accurate, Fallen Earth shouldn't suffer much - plenty of hours for otherwise grumpy folks to play Fallen Earth while they're waiting for launch night to actually play Aion. ;)

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 12:34PM (Unverified) said

I think WoWs Maintenance Tuesdays had more to do with the launch dates than anything. It probably coincidence that they are launching on the same day, but at the same time I think both picked a Tuesday to maximize the number of players that log in.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 12:52PM J Brad Hicks said

• 1 heart
I've got no dog in this fight; neither game interests me. I played Fallen Earth six years ago, when it was a much better-looking game called Neocron, and bolting wings onto anime avatars doesn't make Aion any less of a boring WoW knock-off. But that being said? I could make a case that, to whatever remaining extent gaming stores matter, shipping on the same day is good for both titles. Customers who've only heard of one of them might see the other and be tempted to buy both games. Customers who've only heard of one, but wish that something more like the other one was what was coming out instead, could be pleasantly surprised.

Posted: Sep 22nd 2009 1:21PM spamero said

It doesn't matter cause MMOs are unplayable for the first few days anyways.
Seriously, when those companies will get their shit together?