Posted: Sep 17th 2009 2:22PM Aganazer said

Its not me you should be telling that to. Its NC Soft. All the "return to earth" hype, PAU's that work, and the addition of a decent crafting system didn't save TR. Me and about half my friends were just starting to filter back into that game just days before they announced it closure.

I know CO has its own issues and CoX has always been a great game. CO isn't owned by NC Soft though. If I had my way no MMOG would close until there is no one left on the servers anymore. The worst fate that should befall a MMOG is that it gets sold for cheap to some guy that can set up a server from his basement.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 2:18PM (Unverified) said

NC Soft shutting down an MMO! Say it ain't so!

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 2:35PM wjowski said

I could've sworn this game'd been shut down years ago.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 2:54PM pcgneurotic said

Well I enjoyed it for a little while, it was cool. But I won't be sad to see it go, because hey, that's life. Things, people, come and go. Why should computer games be any different? You think you're in love and you met the most incredible person in the world; a year later they're half forgotten. So it didn't happen. And it hasn't happened for DR. Sure, I'll shed a small tear for a fun, colourful, different game, but then I'll move on and see what comes next. It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 4:04PM Myria said

It's all in the timing, eh NCSoft? A little crystal ball for those considering an Aion pre-order? Nice. Better yet, shutting down a dying game and handing out free passes to two other dying games as consolation. Hell, why didn't you include Auto Assault and TR disks while you were at it? You must have some sitting in a wharehouse somewhere. Or are you saving those to dump on Garriot as part of the inevitable court settlement?

Honestly, I don't think he'll take them.

If nothing else -- definitely nothing else -- you have to admire NCSoft's sense of humor.

Or is that a tin ear?

It's not like this is a big shock or anything, but is this really the time to be forcibly reminding everyone of NCSoft's tendency to shut down MMOs, something otherwise nigh unto unheard of in the industry?

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 4:51PM Jesspiper said

Aion has 3.5 million subscribers before even launching in NA. I'm pretty haoppy with my Aion pre-order tyvm.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 4:17PM (Unverified) said

Don't forget about Auto Assault by NCSoft as well.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 5:03PM (Unverified) said

They should make it so you can play it offline, it would be a nice diablo like game solo too. Sad as too many games take themselves way too seriously (i'm looking at you guild wars and guild wars fans) and this was a nice break from all the "serious" mmos.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 6:00PM MewmewGrrl said

I am a current paying player of Dungeon Runners. I really had hoped the game would stay around somehow, but lately I've been looking at the number of subscribing players and trying to figure out if they were actually making any money on the game or not. The Member Server would have about 30-100 people on it at most, and the free server would usually have 90-200 at most (although a lot of the paying players like me played on the free server, since it was basically the same and had more players on it). It was only $5 a month, but seriously there just weren't enough people paying for it to keep going. I could see this every time I logged in, but I kept hoping maybe it was somehow enough to pay for upkeep and such and thought that if I owned a game and it made as much as 50 cents a month I'd keep it (that is, if the 50 cents was on top of paying all costs off and my staff, and I didn't have to do any work). Anyway to be generous, it may have had 500-1000 subscribers left, and that just isn't enough to pay the salaries of the people left working on it, much less the costs of keeping the server running too. I wish it was staying up but just not enough people were paying.

I get two old games for free that I have already owned in the past tho and don't really like for being a paying player, yay :D The only reason they are even doing that is because the number of paying players is so small that it doesn't really hurt them much to do it, although it's better than just "the game is gone, bye".

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 6:43PM (Unverified) said

They should spend a few dollars and retune it to be a flat fee downloadable game for XBOX360. I'd buy it. Just make it network with 5 of your friends and you're all set.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 7:02PM Xii said

Well, I guess that's not much of a surprise, but it still sucks. DR had a goofy sense of humor, and was a decent dungeon crawler. Sure, it didn't compare to a lot of subscription games, but they only charged a fraction of the cost, and that was only if you wanted the premium features. I think a weakness of the dual F2P/subscription model they were going for is that if your F2P game is good enough, most people won't subscribe.

I actually bought a boxed copy when they were available, but I haven't really played recently... I will check back in, I guess.

Also: 5x EXP and lots of other boosts. That's a nice way to go out. Tabula Rasa did something similar.

p.s. - more games need to adapt the 'rainbow' color scheme for epic lewts.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 7:52PM bluemeep said

It was a cute game that scratched the Diablo clone itch, but they never really tried to go beyond that. Having a sense of humor alone just isn't enough when you're expecting me to pay for features that other games in the genre freely provide.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 9:49PM hami83 said

It's hilarious how many posters focus on the bad things in a game more then the fun.

This game was fun and down right funny at points. Try it before it shuts down, it's a shame it's going away but that's business.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 11:00PM (Unverified) said

If there is a mmo that would find some life after being canceled ,DR would be the one. I like playing it in short bursts, and I think it would do well on a console system.

Posted: Sep 18th 2009 7:40AM (Unverified) said

Again they did it!
I wonder what's next? GW perhaps? or Exteel? Maybe L2!

Go, buy more NCsuck products... They love to grab your money and return game shutdowns!

Posted: Sep 18th 2009 12:31PM (Unverified) said

I don't see any reason why anyone should connect Dungeon Runners shutting down to anything else or any other game that has been shut down by NCSoft or anyone else.

Dungeon Runners was just not a strong enough property to keep going. It had already dropped down below the threshold where anyone wanted to spend publicity numbers to promote enough to keep going. It was a 'download and play free' game with a 'subscribe for more stuff' subscription model. It didn't go into the stores until late in life just before (after) an expansion. It was rarely pushed hard in the markets where it might have thrived.

If it had come into the market exactly as it is NOW, back in the late 90's, it would have been one of the hottest properties around. Had it been pushed in the manner Sony pushed Free Realms, and done so back when it launched, maybe it would have gotten enough players to make it keep living in the now.

But neither of those things happened. People put good work into the game (I was a subscriber for a while and DID play it... I still have a non-paying account) and it is playable... just it never quite got the critical mass needed to survive.

NCSoft is in the business of making money. About the only thing I could think of that they could have done differently (and this applies to TR and Auto Assault as well) is offer the companies that developed them an option to take over full ownership of the game back, and allow them to transition into a stand-alone company and product... but I just don't think that is the way that NCSoft operates.

I would personally prefer to see these 'little MMOs' that tried to be big the chance to make it on their own. As independent entities they may have been able to stand on their own with out the mothership... or maybe not.

Do I think NCSoft is going to do this same thing with Guild Wars (1) or City of Heroes... I sure HOPE not. But if we, the players, stop playing those games and stop paying our subscription fees to play... (And yes, I know Guild Wars doesn't cost anything after buying the game)... then if NCSoft does drop them, maybe we need to look a little closer to home for who is to blame.

Yet, at the same time nothing lasts forever. Even World of Warcraft will eventually fade. Of course, by that time all the players will be off playing Universe of Warcraft or Starcraft Worlds 43 or something. Or the wheel may come full circle and the game of choice that everyone compares everything to will be called Ultima or have 'Everquest' as part of it's name.

No offense to the makers of Dungeon Runners, but when it slips away, I'm not going to miss it as much as I miss TR. And I don't miss TR hugely, no where near as much as I miss Earth & Beyond (and yes, I know there is a project going to revive THAT - Massively, maybe THAT E&B effort is something to spotlight sometime...)