Posted: Sep 16th 2009 4:26PM Myria said

You can still get to the forums, where they thankfully have a notice about what's going on (I was doing an SC when I got dumped, thought it might be on my end until I saw this notice) -- http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board?board.id=bug_1-3-1

"Update - 3:07PM EDT: We have isolated the issue to a problem with our ISP. We are working aggressively with Verizon to resolve the problems we're encountering with their services. We currently have no ETA at this time, thank you.

Greetings!

We are currently investigating issues impacting all games services and websites outside of these forums.

We are working to restore service as soon as possible as we investigate the cause of these issues and appreciate your patience and cooperation. Thank you and stay tuned for additional information!

- The Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Team"

It's not just new players, the client tries to connect every time it launches, if it can't it just hangs for a while and then you get an error message.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 4:37PM Chriskovo said

And here i thought EA finally pulled the plug. :P

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 4:41PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This is really going to upset the 500 or so subscribers still playing.

:D

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 5:16PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Guess it's hard to pay all your bills promptly with so few subscribers.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 5:27PM (Unverified) said

Verizon. Recipe for disaster right there.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 6:18PM (Unverified) said

New update from the twitter account:
"Looks like the ISP may have a fiber cut or something like that. No ETR."

FAIL

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 7:17PM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
This game still is running?!!

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 7:19PM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
Jeez I just visited their forums, happy bunch there huh?

Honestly, Mythic is letting Warhammer die slowly, it's planned. They can't just shut it down, they decided to go the route of slowly killing it. I imagine this goes back to when that chief douchebag got canned.

The recent content release was already in the pipeline, but I'll be floored if they actually come up with much else.

Great IP, such a wasted opportunity.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 10:11PM Myria said

It's back up, finally was able to log in.

Gah, I'm liking the game, but all of the problems with it are making it really hard to justify continuing.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 10:39PM Seraphina Brennan said

To be fair, this was a break in Verizon's fiber-optic line -- not exactly Mythic's problem by any stretch of the imagination. Just a bad break.

Lol, pun.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 12:00PM Myria said

I probably should have been a bit clearer, Colin, the downtime yesterday, while annoying, is really the least of it. Frankly it doesn't speak well of their network architecture, but honestly they've got way bigger problems then that.

The other day I was doing an SC, was killed, and when I rezed at the start point I was inside a stone pillar. The client helpfully informed me I was stuck -- No, really? I had no idea! The /stuck command to fix this? It logs you out and, hopefully, when you log back in all will be well.

Stuff like that is depressingly common, there's literally nothing you can't get stuck on or in. As for performance otherwise? Any time the collision detection code kicks and there's more then a dozen people around (mind you, RvR is usually multi-24 person warband on multi-warband to be any fun) and my normal 70 - 90fps suddenly drops to the teens. Oh, and unit frames? In any large-scale battle they're more a hint of what might be happening then any actual accurate report -- especially depressing if you're preferred role is healing (hey, it's a girl thing. Or a me thing, or god knows what. Healing is what I do bestest).

And then there's the population issues. Pretty much everything fun in the game takes large numbers of people to work. Unfortunately there's not really what you'd call large numbers around. I start out in T1 and really get into SCs popping pretty frequently even in non-prime time. Get to T2 and good luck, even in prime time SCs can be somewhat rare and in non-primetime it's barely worth queueing. Talk to people about T3, seems this disturbing trend continues. I've never before played an MMO that was bottom heavy, it worries me that maybe T4 is as bad as they say.

And let's not even get into speculating about what Aion is going to do to War's population. I can't read the forums or be in a WB without listening to people talk about how they're jumping ship to Aion.

Honestly, if it wasn't for gameguard (it stuns me that anyone would even consider playing a game with that PoS rootkit required) I'd probably jump ship to Aion.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you aren't aware of, but for me, as someone with a half dozen characters in T2 trying to decide if War is worth continuing beyond however much time I've already paid for, it makes things a bit difficult.

Yes, I'm having fun, but looking at the very real possibility of SC pops becoming even less frequent and RvR becoming even harder to find does not give me great hope for that continuing.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 2:34AM (Unverified) said

@ Colin

Actually, Mythic should be shouldering as much of this blame as Verizon, if not more. To have a single point of failure built into their server farm is inexcusable. It's one of the most basic things you learn about large-scale system management.

The fact that a single fiber line brought down the entirety of the WAR enterprise (sans forums), speaks volumes of those that designed their infrastructure, as well as those that continue to run it today.

If memory serves, it took Blizzard a while to get the redundancy that they now employ -- I seem to remember some very similar issues with them in the early years. Honestly though, anyone following in Blizzard's MMO footsteps (at least in regards to infrastructure planning and development), should know better.

Posted: Sep 17th 2009 8:58AM Agozyen said

You're an idiot. I expect you think they should have a backup power company in case their primary has a problem too. Mythic is Verizon's customer. How do you expect Mythic to be responsible for some jackass with a backhoe not doing their fucking job and calling the utilities to check for buried cable in a construction zone?

Mythic probably does have redundant servers and off-site storage, but if the data pipe is cut that is useless, how are they going to access it? Moron.

You want to yell at someone yell at the jackass that cut the fiber. Or maybe Verizon for not running dual fiber lines to every fucking customer they have. Or maybe Verizon should have buried them deeper, or maybe they should have hired someone to stand every half mile along the fiber routes to make sure no one cuts them. Or maybe they should have armored them.

The fact that you would blame anyone at Mythic for anything that happens outside their building speaks volumes. And every page of every volume is screaming idiot.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM