Posted: Sep 15th 2009 5:16PM Miffy said

Every time I see this game in the news it makes me sad at all the potential SOE just chucked away with the NGE and CU and all the other stupid changes they made to dumb down the game. It makes me really frustrated as a player because we have no control on what happens to the game. It's what I love about Single Player games is once they're released the developers can't screw them up. So you can always go back and play that game and it'll still be the same. However with SWG it was my fave mmorpg ever and they just took it away from me and it felt like a death in the family.

Never gonna forgive SOE for that and can't wait till the game shuts down because every day it's still online with the disgrace that is the NGE is another day butchering the once great game.

I just hope to see another mmorpg that takes inspiration from you sometime in the future but gets right what you got wrong.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 5:29PM Big Pun said

Totally agree with you. I used to have so much fun on this before CU. I have tried it out again a few times since then and it's just not the same.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 5:40PM jpkustra said

I still have that feeling of nostalgia thinking back to Pre-NGE SWG :(

I almost wish SW:TOR would go to SWG's art style and help me re-live some of the magic from those early days of collecting holocrons to train to be a jedi :)

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 7:14PM Lateris said

I stuck with SWG after the NGE and felt the pain all the way up to Dead Meats arrival who finally pointed the game in the right direction for the remaining subscribers. I left on Dec of 2008 for LOTRO since horror is not my fortay in a Star Wars Universe and saw that coming. I do applaud you Mr Deadmeat aka former SWG producer. Server merges were handled correctly and I hope the remaining parties live happily ever after.

I agree with you that SOE really missed the potential on this game. But let us not forget that Lucas Arts approved the NGE. I also blame them. I like Biowares publicity so far on TOR.I wish all parties good luck and I wish SOE good luck with the Clone Wars game.

I am now very happy in LOTRO and Eve Online btw. But I am really no longer a Star Wars fan because of the NGE even though I am hypocrite for staying with it. I do miss the player house system.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 7:53PM postpwn said

You ex SWG pre-NGE/CU'ers need to join us in Fallen Earth; it's the closest in spirit to the original SWG.

Here's a thread I started wherein all those who SOE pissed off have come to sing praises for the arrival of Fallen Earth. Check it out if interested: http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php?t=18999

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 8:35AM postman said

fallen earth? maybe, but Earthrise is more so in the spirit of Pre NGE SWG. If all of you vets are really that nostalgic about it look into the EMU and help get that damn thing up and running fully

Posted: Sep 20th 2009 4:47PM (Unverified) said

My eyes are on Earth Rise too, but the problem is it's not out yet and I need a good MMO TO PLAY! NOWZ!

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 5:30PM yavo said

alot of have tried to take inspiration from it, but most fall short in the areas that count :( it would be so nice if they only shut 11 servers down and made that 12 a rollback server to before CU. Problem is how would they explain when it was their most populated server...then numbers wouldn't support their claims that they have been improving the game.
yavozerb

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 6:03PM (Unverified) said

/sigh

My all time favorite MMO, before soe ruined it and, well, you all know the rest. I could go on, but I digress.

R.I.P Corbantis. Many an imp died at my hands on that server. =)

Havent gotten around to trying this - http://www.swgemu.com - out myself, but in any case, has anyone else? If so, what can you say about it?

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 6:16PM Mr Angry said

/cry....... I was Corbantis too, it's beyond sad what they did to this game, I just don't know who was running the show that their judgment could have been so impaired that they launched the NGE. Let's not forget the expansions were awful also....

I keep hearing about the emu, but you know, it's been so long now, I'm guessing it's as much as a pipe dream as there would be having pre-cu servers.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 6:50PM (Unverified) said

The lure of the next WOW did them in.

Sony, as I have come to realize is just a greedy company overall. Companies have cultures, and theirs is definitely one of greed. It doesn't matter which subdivision, it's still sony, and the culture is infused with rampant greed. SWG is not the only game that they've mangled.

It really is sad, though. I have yet to see, or hear tell of another game that allowed for the level of immersion afforded players in SWG 'before the fall.'

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 6:57PM Tonezorz said

Is bloodfin still up? I think that was the one I was on. Blood something.

I was a launch-day player, which meant day 2, since the servers crashed the entire first day.

Played till just before the CU :'(

Best mmo years ever.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 7:26PM Ingrod said

Really the game was very improved from the NGE days to now, the NGE himself was relegated to oblivion few patches after his release. But the damage created in RP and players for the disastrous NGE doom is imposible to repair. For me SOE is not more greed than others companys.

SWTOR is developed under the four main NGE principles: few and iconic classes, more active combat, exclusive history/quests for every class, and the "people dont want be farmer, want be heroic" theory. LA put this proyect in Bioware hands after his SWG-NGE failure, that was a disaster and they decided begin from scratch a new Star Wars MMO under the same principles.

SWTOR is "the real" NGE.

If SWTOR have the same NGE principles, but the main developer is Bioware/EA but not SOE, the common element here is LA..., people can reach their own conclusions.

From the begining they should create a full new Star Wars MMO, not destroy a preexistente gema developed under other principles.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 7:31PM (Unverified) said

Former Corbantis server here too... It's been years since I played but I was saddened to see this server make the list. Had a lot of good times and spent many hours making clothing, droids, hairstyles, wepons and harvesting. The game was a blast before SOE just mucked it up beyond belief. Sigh....

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 7:35PM (Unverified) said

I was a day 2 player as well, called in sick and played all damn day.

I remember guys running around with brand spanking new guns that had just been crafted days after launch.

Thinking I was badass in my bone armor, which to be honest I kind of was since not much else had been discovered at the time, lol.

When rumors of a Tusken Fort out in the middle of the desert somewhere surfaced, what was a squad leader (which launched broken) to do? I organized two huge squads and set off in search of it. What an adventure THAT was! Lost a third of the guys on the way there to those effin lizards out in the desert (didn't stay with the group), but got the bulk of us there safely, where we jumped right into the battle at the fort. I will NEVER forget that.

Simply put, and as Anthony just said, my best mmo years ever.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 8:16PM RogueJedi86 said

What will happen if I come back to SWG after my old server is deleted? A server transfer box will come up upon logging in, or will you have to go through Red Tape to get to a playable condition? I haven't played since the NGE, and several of the servers I played on are going away, though sometimes the TOR hype makes me wanna go back to SWG. So will one login to a server transfer box, or will one have to contact a GM on the forums to get playing in SWG again?

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 8:35PM Seraphina Brennan said

Good question rogue, they actually answered that.

If you don't retrieve your character and they delete the servers, it's going to cost 50 bucks to retrieve your character and move them to another server. Yes, that's expensive and pretty much crap. But, you do have a month to transfer... but if you don't want to resubscribe... yeah... 50 bucks is not fun. Not fun at all.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 9:11PM RogueJedi86 said

Wow, that is a load of bs. It's like they don't want anyone to come back. I sure wouldn't pay $50 to come back on top of the $15 monthly fee. So much for going back to try it one day.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 10:47PM Seraphina Brennan said

Well, you can still log in perhaps something this month or next month to move your character for free, but I totally understand. 50 bucks is a lot of money if you don't want to log in this month and move your character.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 6:47AM RogueJedi86 said

If I pay a monthly fee just to login and move my characters for free, then it's not really moving them for free. It's moving them for $15. Kind of a Catch-22 I suppose.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant