Posted: Sep 15th 2009 3:13PM Aganazer said

Oh my. This can't be a good move. Please tell me they mean October 2010.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 4:52PM Dblade said

How long has it been in development? That sounds like an extremely rapid release date for something we only have heard much about this year.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 8:25PM (Unverified) said

I seams they have a really ... new, approach to launching from their site you can read this
'For the first release we have decided to focus only on a few starting races and classes so that we can refine each to be unique and expansive far beyond what other MMOGs have to offer'
Seeing that they only have notes regarding the human race and the main classes "healer, soldier, ranger and magus' (read as priest, warrior, ranger and mage class types) it seams likely that these will be the starting race / class combos. They also seam to bee using the Eric Cartman marketing strategy http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152804 with the announcement of a 'Controlled Release' when Alganon Launches, only a certain number of new subscription keys will be created each month.

Posted: Sep 15th 2009 9:12PM (Unverified) said

Then it will probably end up closing down in November...

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 12:44AM (Unverified) said

Oh really and the interface and gameplay seemed to be too much like WoW. Won't last long like all the other WoW clones. bah. Too many of them all using the same itnerface, quest system, item systems, pretty much everything. Thier all just reskinning WoW it seems. How bland.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 1:08AM hami83 said

Yeah Everque...erm sorry Warcraft was the first MMO ever made.

...

Anyways, I'm not aware of any "wowclone" ugh...That term is so moronic. but none of the games have closed down or seem to have trouble.... Well the free ones anyways.
If the game has no monthly fee it'll live very well.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 2:01AM (Unverified) said

I've played in the CB a decent bit, and let me tell you that never have a I played a game that is more similar to WOW than this one. I don't throw around the word "wow clone", but everything from skill point distribution, to the equipment screen, item screen, character generator and login, scenery, crafting, etc. I mean LITERALLY almost EXACTLY like World of Warcraft. This is not an exaggeration and this game is doomed before it has even started because of this.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 8:45AM Tom in VA said

@Alan: I wouldn't say Alganon is necessarily "doomed". A lower-priced knockoff of a popular brand can often be quite successful in the marketplace. It used to be people in the US wouldn't even consider buying a foreign-built automobile and now look....

What remains to be seen is the pricing for this game. If Alganon attempts to charge premium prices for a knockoff, I'm guessing they'll fail big time. But if they (1) have a lower monthly sub and/or or (2) offer some feature that makes this game go one better than WoW, they may just do OK.

I, for one, would happily consider playing a decently made "WoW clone" that was basically structured like WoW but, say, offered single-player versions of the instances and/or a $5 or $10//month subscription fee.

In any case, although I have played WoW extensively (and like it well enough), I have an eye on Alaganon and am waiting to see if this games give me a good-enough reason to "jump ship."

Posted: Oct 14th 2009 6:55AM (Unverified) said

$39.99 purchase and a monthly fee of $14.99 ($11.99 if you prepay for a year!) will definitely kill this game before it ever gets going.

Posted: Oct 21st 2009 4:50PM (Unverified) said

The problem is that it's not a well-made WoW clone. Imagine an SNES WoW emulator. That's what this is. Alan is very right - this is an amazingly audacious ripoff and they're doomed - either because there's no way people will pay top-quality prices for something that looks and plays this badly, or because Blizzard is going to sue their asses off for intellectual infringement. Seriously, they didn't even try to hide it. EVERYTHING visible is a WoW clone. The crafting and studies are cool, but they're inserted into what's essentially a low-quality copy of WoW.