Posted: Sep 14th 2009 12:25PM J Brad Hicks said

Only two of them. For as long as it survived, I kept getting dragged back into Neocron, even long after I realized that they were never going to fix what was broken with it, because I never stopped missing it. I /still/ haven't stopped missing it. And whenever another MMO ticks me off, I keep getting dragged back to City of Heroes, no matter how bored I get with it, because it's the only MMO on the market that gets anywhere near as much right as they do.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 1:55PM Evy said

No. I'm still playing the only MMO able to keep my attention past a year. Nothing else has interested me enough to give it a second chance after getting bored with it. I do keep track of every game out there and would consider going back to something if they gave me a reason.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 2:34PM Pigeonko said

Considering I don't think my account in FFXI even exists anymore (been almost 5 years,) no. :/

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 3:04PM (Unverified) said

I don't understand why some people equate "extreme, borderline-masochistic challenge" with 'fun'. Honestly, for every gamer that says "back in my day", I just cringe. I'm in my mid/late-20's myself, so I certainly recall a lot of the "old" games, and I know very well how people can be exceptionally nostalgic over something for no reason bar sentimentality. If, as one poster seemed to indicate, spending TWO DAYS merely running from one place to another excites you, then I would contend that it's not the game content so much as its "grinding" that entertains you... at least when a "modern" MMO player grinds, he's doing something other than holding down a single arrow key.

Most people these days are busy; work, school, a combination of both - hell, evne family, as the average gamer these days is over 30! This much responsibility means that the average player cannot afford to sit down for hours on end (or indeed DAYS on end) merely to move from one location to another. This sort of extremely-long "alternate" grinding mechanic (after all, what is a journey, usually, if not simply a means to an end) has little place when many people's free time can be measure in spurts a couple of hours - not a couple of days.

Now, before anyone goes postal on me, I do agree with some general sentiments, here. A lot of older games WERE more challenging; things took longer, you didn't get shiny exclamation marks, or a path on the ground... however, older games lacked other dynamics. Combat systems were more basic. Graphics (by modern standards) were often obviously poor. Quests involved massive travel time, instead of massive "action". Penalties for innocent mistakes were frequently patently unfair, and likely just a way to keep a player playing the game longer.

The way MMO's like WoW are is the future. Old-style games will not be replicated, not with any degree of real success, at least. They died out for a reason, because for as many features as some of you miss, many others were poor, broken, or excessive. It is time to either accept the new, or to at least stop ranting about it, and to instead try to find something to enjoy within the rich tapestry of games that do currently exist.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 5:01PM Jenks said

Exploration is grinding? Are you serious? If so, you fail at RPGs.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 4:59PM Jenks said

Every time I go back and play EQ, I'm blown away by how awesome it is. If they released a classic server that had a decent population, I wouldn't need anything from the current mmorpg lineup.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 5:31PM (Unverified) said

It appears that you fail to grasp any ideas beyond the extremely superficial. Let me try this in very basic dialogue.

I was not speaking of exploring; not once did I even use the word. Taking two full days to transit between two KNOWN points of existence is NOT exploring - it's a grind - a *travel* grind. Instead of whacking mobs for two days straight, you're just running for two days straight. That is entertainment?

If it is, it is only for a very select few who certainly do not comprise the majority of game players.

Perhaps actually read my post next time, instead of lashing out with a baseless one-liner.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge