Posted: Sep 14th 2009 8:19AM Brendan Drain said

I tend to go back to some of them about once a year and play for another month or two. It's purely a buildup of nostalgia that tips my hand, and often it does give an opportunity to look at improvements and changes that have been made to the game. Everquest 2 is probably the most potent game for bringing me back, getting nostalgic for the soundtrack alone is enough to draw me in for another peek.

EVE Online is another of those games that tends to draw people back in now and then, I've spoken to countless players who have played on and off over the years. Their reasons are largely due to expansions coming out with something new in it and I think it happens so often because EVE's expansions are free. Expansions in other MMOs that I have to pay for are sometimes enough to make me resubscribe but having to buy a new expansion gives something of a barrier to re-entry. For example, EQ2 tends to draw me back in once every 2-3 expansions. The others just haven't been appealing enough to make me resub.

Posted: Sep 16th 2009 1:40PM (Unverified) said

i completly agree. eve is one of those games that just wont let us leave it.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 8:20AM MrGutts said

Sure I do.

When they are free to play for a week or how ever many days they give us.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 8:36AM Macabre 13 said

I went back to an MMO once for an over-hyped expansion (WoW and WotLK). Suffice to say it didn't take too long for me to remember why I left in the first place.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 10:50AM Firebreak said

I had that experience after Burning Crusade so at least I got to save my money before WoTLK.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 8:47AM (Unverified) said

Boredom usually is what motivates me to go back to an old MMO. I've gone back to them all, really... GW, WoW, WAR, AoC, CoH, LOTRO, EQ2, PotBS, MXO. It's usually an impulsive and very short-lived return though. Just long enough to remind me why I quit in the first place :)

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 9:43AM Minofan said

Ditto - not sure I've actually lasted a whole resub month, but at least get a few hours of boredom-relief out of it.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 8:59AM (Unverified) said

I have a habit of leaving EVE when thing's get really bad...When I completely run out of cash or my corp falls apart usually, but I usually come back 2 or so months later!

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 9:02AM Jhaer said

It all depends on why I left. If it was because something was broken, I may go back if I hear they fixed it. If I was just bored, new content might bring me back. Mostly though, I leave games because the social aspects are failing... people don't talk in groups or in general... the game is just me grinding exp and loot and trying to find a guild that doesn't suck. If that's why I leave, I almost never go back.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 9:16AM Tom in VA said

I go back to WoW (my first MMO) from time to time after long stints in other games (GW last year and LotRO this past spring). The prospect and mechanics of restarting a subscription -- such as in WoW or LotRO -- just to go back for a "look-see" is a powerful disincentive, however.

Right now, I am between MMOs and not quite sure what to do until something really good comes out on the MMO front (nothing remotely interesting is releasing this fall, alas).

I am considering playing Drakensang and then Dragon Age (single-player games) to tide me over the current "MMO drought."

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 9:26AM Thac0 said

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 9:58AM Platypus Man said

I've been known to revisit old MMOs if I haven't really explored it. Also, if the devs add new stuff regularly -- such as CoX -- I'll resub for a while to check it out. I've made return trips to WoW, Age of Conan, and LotRO.

With all the new stuff on the horizon, though -- I'm currently playing (and loving) Champions Online, about the start the beta for Star Trek Online, and looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic down the line -- I doubt I'll be returning to any of the old ones.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 10:15AM Bhagpuss said

My characters are permanent. Once made, always played.

Of course, as time goes on, the sheer number of them and the cost of subs mean there are longer and longer gaps between visits, but none of them are ever written off.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 10:17AM (Unverified) said

I started playing MMO's back around 98 i think... I think my first was UO, and then I went to Everquest when it launched. I've tried many games, including:
UO, Everquest, DAOC, Anarchy Online, Neocron, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, FF Online, Ahseron's Call 2, Planetside, The Matrix Online (i worked on that project), WWII Online, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Eve - and recently I'm just joining Age of Conan and hopefully soon Mortal Online.

With all that said, I often ask myself which game I returned to the most, and which game I have the fondest memories of.

The game I returned to the most was original Everquest (not eq2.) Although when I was a member of EQ 1, i hated it... i despised the long corpse runs, or the frustrations of loosing levels/exp... I kept returning to that game.

Looking back on it, I think a lot of games today took EQ 1 as an example of "what to fix" and started making the games easier. Less griefing, less corpse runs, no exp loss (or less exp loss) with death, respawning with all your weapons and equipment... Since WoW, every mmo it seems even makes the quests dummed down. Now big Exclamation points hover over heads of who you should talk to... and Question marks over the heads of who you should go to. SWG introduced the arrow and lines on the ground to show you exactly where to go... Everyone has been making games easier, but in that, the only challenge to me is the level and statistical differences. Meaning - the challenge is a) what gear do I have b) what is the level difference between me and this player/mob...

Whereas in the old days, the challenge was the environment itself. In EQ1, if you were a Eurodite (a race in game) you had terrible night vision, and lived on an island that at night, was pitch black. You litteraly couldn't see but 5 feet in front of you at night, with a torch in hand! Just crossing from one continent to another was a challenge in itself. Death was a true stresfull scenario, since if you died, you left a corpse with all your stuff on it. Logging in game and going, "Oh i'll meet my buddy in Freeport" and you're a continent away... well that was a big chore. It could take all night, or maybe a couple days to get to your buddy.

While all that was terrible and frustrating - it had the best stories. These were the quests that were personal to me - like meetnig a friend on a different continent... just getting there was the best quest reward. So with the extreme difficulties, came the best memories... memroies of being in a dungeon of ice, where players naturally would "slide" off the small narrow paths, to their deaths 5 stories down. Or memories of the Rallos Zek pvp server, where when you cast "blind" on another player their whole screen went black!!! that was the best. being in a swamp and all of a sudden your screen is black, and you hear your character scremaing from some unknown attack so you run mindlessly in circles....

DAOC was also interesting. The new concept of RvR coming out of that. Then you had Shadowbane's political player run city warfare scenarios... that was awesome - too bad it wasn't a stable game.

As someone who has played WoW from launch to about a year ago, I just have few real fun memories of the game. The best memroies were of games with the toil and hard work that went into surviving in a tough environment... but then, that's me.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 10:40AM SkuzBukit said

I know exactly what you mean, in EQ it really "meant" something to die, there was real suspense & fear when crossing dangerous territories & you really came to depend on people who became your friends, the Necro that summoned your corpse from a foolish solo lower guk run, the Cleric that ressed you, you learned to be nice to people because they mattered to you, your experience depended on others.

I intend to return to EQ sometime, only on hiatus due to unemployment really, despite being botter at some class chages I detested I loved the game & nothing else ever gave a sense of community like it did, EQ2 gets close & I do enjoy that game too.

I've quit RoM & I'll only go back when they change a whole lot of stuff around, which they wont so I doubt I'll ever revisit it, I keep jumping in & out of Atlantica when I'm "in the mood" for it, same for a couple of other games.

Presently trying out DDOU & loving it, though it's not going to stop me revisiting EQ.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 11:07AM Sean D said

I'm with you here. EvE is really the only MMO that challenges me anymore. Above all, the game requires patience, which is a rare virtue these days. My first thought when you talked about later MMOs taking the EQ model and making things easier was that, in doing so, they also removed the greater sense of reward that came from making that trip to Freeport to meet your friend, or finally acquiring that pegasus cloak.

That said, I revisit old games on occasion when I need a change of scenery or I hear nostalgia calling. WAR is probably the only MMO I return to on a regular basis for the sole purpose of witnessing the changes firsthand. I usually unsubscribe again within a matter of days, disheartened. It's a really wonderful IP that Mythic has not only failed to exploit, but has disregarded and deformed.

Good reply!

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 10:53AM (Unverified) said

Never with intent to play again, just to talk to old e-friends and see new changes.
Playing some MMOs again isnt even possible, I could not remember all of the stacking buffs in Anarchy Online to save my life! So many anacronyms I would end up taking off all of my armor and be unable to put any of it back on again! lol

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 11:18AM (Unverified) said

DAoC was my first MMO. I'm really thinking this was a bad thing, because I've yet to find any "newer" MMO with a more enjoyable or rewarding PvP experience, imo. Ultimately I stopped playing because instead of changing mechanics to economize competition, they made different servers with different mechanics. (Bots were unofficially how Mythic made a killing on a competitive player base, and anyone w/ half a brain that played in DAoC's prime would agree)

I played DAoC for a few years, tried WoW for six mo, went back to DAoC, tried WoW again, went back to DAoC. This was a recurring theme, always spending longer with DAoC than WoW, until WAR came out. Me, along with all the old DAoC players, thought this would be RvR revamped and as awesome as it was, way back when. WAR wasn't bad, it just wasn't what so many of us expected. Then I tried to engross myself into WoW's pvp and became bored in a week.

Until a developer comes up with a way to do the tri-faction thing again, I think every MMO from here on out will suffer from the population balance issues inherent in the 2 faction concept.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 11:31AM Rihahn said

I tend to re-visit old MMOs every year or so... If they have a free play period or do something that changes the way the game is played I might visit a few times in a year.

Currently I'm playing "Istaria" (used to be 'Horizons'), mostly because the new owners got it running under Vista/Win7 and added a raft of new content, and Shadowbane folded. It's amazing how deep and complex the MMOs were before WoW...

Like others have mentioned, I'm done with WoW - it's a great game, one of the best even - but I can't escape the feeling I've seen/done everything at this point and the only thing that kept me paying was the guild I was in.

Posted: Sep 14th 2009 11:58AM (Unverified) said

The only mmo I revisit is GW. That's only to talk to friends now. I'm waiting for GW2 and playing GW doesn't make the wait any funner :s

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM