Posted: Sep 8th 2009 1:03PM Bri said

I wonder how much of that number is people who stopped playing because they can no longer visit adult-only areas of the grid without giving Linden their personal information?

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 2:12PM (Unverified) said

...and in a "life simulator" what does a bot or camper actually mean? In MMOs bots and campers have a very clear definition and are considered, by the majority, to be nuisances and liabilities. What on earth are they botting or camping in SL?

Posted: Sep 10th 2009 4:51AM (Unverified) said

Bri, there wouldn't be all that many abandoning SL over that. The arguments over the age verification happened months back when it was first rolled out to estate owners for beta testing and were referred to frequently in the intervening timespan.

As for the botting, Sorcefire, SL has many shops within it. It also ranks places in Search based on traffic numbers. So a less than scrupulous shop owner could create a set of alt accounts and park them somewhere on his/her property to drive up their traffic numbers because each alt would count as a steady presence on the land. Camping for Lindens would lead to people creating a batch of alt accounts and commandeering camping chairs or pads to build up their inworld income.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 4:21PM (Unverified) said

They're camping 'popularity rating' for the sim they're in, becuase the more popular a sim is, the higher it is in search results

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 7:32PM (Unverified) said

Well, I know I'm not on anything like as many hours as I was a few years ago. I'm on once a week instead of every day. The instability and changes have made it much less fun. Perhaps I'm not alone. Now if I can just sell my land and stop paying so much to not be there....

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 3:43AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Far more than you imagined?

Was it about two years back when the grid melted really bad for a number of days you did an analysis on the re-logins and came up with the figure 20,000 bots if i recalled correctly. (Sorry, I can't find the article now)

Back then the number wasn't as high as now from a glance at the map, so who knows but we are only 1/2 way to that 2007 point at this time if you were correct back then.

Somehow I think concurrency will drop down to the 20,000 mark myself, but then I am ardently anti-Linden Lab now. Butt Hurt you could say :)

Go on, grey me out, you know you wanna.

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 3:47AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

2nd post, sorry.

I wonder how T Linden will polish this turd. I guess he will say this metric never meant much.

And, is there any way you can put an axis on the graph? It is a litle hard to look at time periods, to see where we have regressed to.

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 3:57AM (Unverified) said

10,000 it was.

I'll see what I can do about labels. There's 2 years of data in that particular chart (each point represents one week). That's 104 points. The original chart I generate is 400px wide, so that doesn't leave very many pixels for labels, but I might be able to get some in.

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 4:04AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Ahhh, 10,000. well I was 1/2 right.

Thanks for the labels if you can... even a year or quarter year tick. From what I see we seem to be around the gambling ban level? Main reason is i am curious what the huge dip on the leading edge of the peak is at around the same concurrency.

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 10:46AM (Unverified) said

There are still a lot more bots yet to be purged.

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 12:06PM (Unverified) said

why bots are such a better candidate than real people leaving because everything else LL has been pulling on us?

Posted: Sep 27th 2009 8:25PM (Unverified) said

They've only done half the job so far, residents are still reporting findin groups of 20-80 avatars stuffed in boxes over peoples land to cheat the traffic figures for the plot. LL sounded suprised there were so many, they obviously haven't been listening to residents who have seen that up to 20% of the population online are probably bots.
And other bots are still teleporting in and out as so fast you can't see them 24/7 scanning every mainland sim in SL for cheap land and camping spots.
Bots will continue, because as fast as LL bans them they can create another free anoymous disposable account.